Heat @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-13-2021

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have anything to say about Spo ripping the refs for not calling a flagrant 2 on Carter (the Butler play where he turned his ankle)? Spo is claiming that Carter went under him.

I've replayed it a bunch of times. To me there is no way it is a flagrant. Carter made a simple box-out type of turn that every player is coached to do. Butler landed with his foot slightly forward, not sure if that is his regular shooting motion and landing.

In any case, I probably wouldn't gripe if they called a foul on Carter, but nothing more than that. It's just one of those unfortunate things that happen in basketball. Anyone who has played basketball any length of time has landed on someone's foot and turned an ankle like that.

I agree, except for the part where you say you wouldn't gripe if they called a foul on Carter. If they'd called our guy for a foul I might have tossed something at the TV - AFAIC Carter had a right to that spot and did nothing to cause Butler to come down on JV's foot. Like you said, it's just something that happens, no fault either way IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anyone have anything to say about Spo ripping the refs for not calling a flagrant 2 on Carter (the Butler play where he turned his ankle)? Spo is claiming that Carter went under him.

I've replayed it a bunch of times. To me there is no way it is a flagrant. Carter made a simple box-out type of turn that every player is coached to do. Butler landed with his foot slightly forward, not sure if that is his regular shooting motion and landing.

In any case, I probably wouldn't gripe if they called a foul on Carter, but nothing more than that. It's just one of those unfortunate things that happen in basketball. Anyone who has played basketball any length of time has landed on someone's foot and turned an ankle like that.
Clear landing a point of emphasis for the league and they routinely call that a flagrant. Crowder has been the recipient repeatedly this season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If they called this a flagrant it would be a horrible call. Butler jumped for his shot with Carter already right there and all Carter did was turn around to look for the rebound.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If they called this a flagrant it would be a horrible call. Butler jumped for his shot with Carter already right there and all Carter did was turn around to look for the rebound.
Yeah that’s in the paint. There’s traffic. That’s never going to be a flagrant unless it looks overtly intentional.