Head Coach Candidates?

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
LOL. It's on hold because of money. June Jones turned down Maryland's offer of $3.5 million per last year. He wasn't going to come to ASU for an extra $500K.

What? There is no way he would command that much. He makes about half that now. Also, ASU can't possibly afford that either, but again, he couldn't possibly command that so it doesn't matter.

Perhaps enough people were horrified to get someone to just tell LL to sit this one out and learn as much as she can about how a coaching search should really be handled.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? There is no way he would command that much. He makes about half that now. Also, ASU can't possibly afford that either, but again, he couldn't possibly command that so it doesn't matter.

Maryland did in fact offer him $3.5 million LAST YEAR. He makes about $2 mil right now. ASU is offering him $2.5 mil.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Sumlin isn't really available. If he wants to leave, he can still go to A&M or UCLA. UCLA wants him bad and may offer him the Peterson contract. ASU simply cannot compete in this field.
UCLA ended its pursuit of Sumlin also, was reported earlier today. I think the recent loss to So. Miss scared some teams away. Still, in regards to ASU, if they have to hire a "search firm" to find a coach, then Love is even more useless than she appears to be.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA ended its pursuit of Sumlin also, was reported earlier today. I think the recent loss to So. Miss scared some teams away. Still, in regards to ASU, if they have to hire a "search firm" to find a coach, then Love is even more useless than she appears to be.

UCLA flew out to meet Sumlin tonight. They're throwing a smoke screen.

Everyone hires a search firm.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Maryland did in fact offer him $3.5 million LAST YEAR. He makes about $2 mil right now. ASU is offering him $2.5 mil.

So why wouldn't he have done that? Who would turn down nearly doubling his salary AND getting awesome uniforms. Granted, the city looks like a German industrial center, circa 1945 or modern day Grozny, but who would turn down the first two perks?

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
So why wouldn't he have done that? Who would turn down nearly doubling his salary AND getting awesome uniforms. Granted, the city looks like a German industrial center, circa 1945 or modern day Grozny, but who would turn down the first two perks?

I've heard that he wants to return to the west coast

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
UCLA flew out to meet Sumlin tonight. They're throwing a smoke screen.

Everyone hires a search firm.
LA Times just reported 2 hours ago that UCLA was no longer interested in Sumlin, and were going to focus their attention on Al Golden instead. Maybe it is a smoke screen, who knows, but I haven't seen anything that indicated otherwise.

Also, I don't recall UofA hiring a search firm to get RR. If ASU was going to hire a search firm, they should've done it initially. Instead, ASU hired the firm after they failed to get their top guy in Sumlin, so that just proves to me that Love has no idea what she's doing.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA Times just reported 2 hours ago that UCLA was no longer interested in Sumlin, and were going to focus their attention on Al Golden instead. Maybe it is a smoke screen, who knows, but I haven't seen anything that indicated otherwise.

Also, I don't recall UofA hiring a search firm to get RR. If ASU was going to hire a search firm, they should've done it initially. Instead, ASU hired the firm after they failed to get their top guy in Sumlin, so that just proves to me that Love has no idea what she's doing.

All I know is Guerrero was in Houston tonight after saying they weren't interested. If they went there to confirm they were disinterested, got me.

UA did have consultant help. They all do, because athletic department administrators want someone to blame if they get sued for violating state or federal hiring laws. That tends to happen when you hire a state employee making seven-figure salaries.

ASU hired Koetter, Erickson, and Love through Neinas Consulting. Now that Chuck Neinas, who's a total fraud, IMO, is the head of the Big 12, ASU went with with Eastman & Beaudine. Bob Beaudine is an SMU alum. I guess I don't need to say anything else. Head hunters tend to present you their friends. There's no need for a reputation of success in that business. Just look at how many programs Neinas killed by getting his friends jobs.

ASU didn't initially hire a firm because their target was Kevin Sumlin, an African-American, who would fulfill all of the EEO and NCAA minority-mandate laws.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Junes Jones might be your Tim Floyd after your Sumlin to our Calipari didn't pan out. Maybe your Sean Miller is next...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing new but I found the article from Doug Haller at azcentral dated 12-5-11 discussing the ASU head coaching search very interesting.

Sources confirmed Sunday that Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora is still in the mix. Baylor coach Art Briles has emerged as a candidate.

I continue to hear ASU likes Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich.

Also, despite reports that ASU has backed off Sumlin, he still could be in play, especially if Texas A&M goes another direction in its quest to replace fired coach Mike Sherman.

Keep this in mind: Vice President of Athletics Lisa Love has made two major hires -- Dennis Erickson and Herb Sendek -- during her six years at ASU. She kept her Sendek pursuit pretty much out of the media spotlight. That could happen this time, too. (Indeed, one person I talked to Sunday said anyone who thinks they know where this is going is lying.)

I would think someone should be watching over Lisa Love's shoulder after the dubious hires of Erickson and Sendek.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DouglasHaller/150029

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Nothing new but I found the article from Doug Haller at azcentral dated 12-5-11 discussing the ASU head coaching search very interesting.

I would think someone should be watching over Lisa Love's shoulder after the dubious hires of Erickson and Sendek.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DouglasHaller/150029

The DE signing was a terrible decision from day 1, but I thought Sendek was a good signing for quite a while. The latter didn't work out, but I don't think this should reflect too poorly on LL. However, the former...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DE signing was a terrible decision from day 1, but I thought Sendek was a good signing for quite a while. The latter didn't work out, but I don't think this should reflect too poorly on LL. However, the former...

Actually I thought Erickson had a chance to do a good job. However, Sendek's style is just too slow and mechanical for my taste. I like the uptempo basketball Ned Wulk coached and the high quality players it attracted.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a twitter, tweeter or whatever but as I understand it, Doug Haller is saying he has heard for the past few days Steve Patterson is leading ASU's football coaching search, not AD Lisa Love.

I'm terrible at reading and interpreting tweets.

http://twitter.com/DougHaller

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Received an email from ASU Athletic Department regarding the coaching search:

Statement from ASU President Michael M. Crow on Football Coach Search
December 5, 2011

Because of the extraordinary fan interest in Arizona State University’s search for a new football coach, I want to state what we are looking for in a new coach and for our football program. We want consistency, not a team that is up one year and down the next, not a program that has one mostly good decade followed by a mostly mediocre one. We intend to be in the hunt for the conference championship every year, winning our division and playing for the Rose Bowl.

Our objectives are long range, not short term. And we don’t want or need a quick or temporary fix. We made significant progress under Coach Dennis Erickson and indeed, that is what made this last season so disappointing. For the first eight games we were nearly where we aspire to be. But that is not enough. Now we need to progress further, and we have a nucleus of returning players and a recruiting class that has ASU positioned to move our football program to the next level.

What we seek is a football coach who will lead that effort, who will focus on the basics of building a football program that will excel over time, who will communicate with and connect to the community, who will represent the University with honor and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity, who will have a demonstrated ability to lead young men to successfully compete at the highest levels on and off the field of play, and who will teach our student-athletes to be responsible and conduct themselves at the highest level at all times.

Thank you Sun Devil supporters for continuing to be such great fans.

Michael M. Crow
President, Arizona State University
Sounds like they're feeling some pressure from the fan base/Alumni to get their act together.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Received an email from ASU Athletic Department regarding the coaching search:

Sounds like they're feeling some pressure from the fan base/Alumni to get their act together.

Crow pretty much described every coach in America. He might as well have said nothing because that is what this press release said.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Crow wants a coach to build a team for the long term as he states in his email, June Jones would not be the person. Jones is 58 yrs and has health problems since his almost fatal accident while HC for Hawaii. ASU needs a much younger candidate.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crow pretty much described every coach in America. He might as well have said nothing because that is what this press release said.

Yes. How to you say something without saying something. It sounds like filler in an essay test.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we do in fact hire Jones after that email I will DEMAND Crow explain in detail how full of it he actually is, and doesn't actually know what he is doing..

It is nice to say it, but I will believe it when I see it period.. If he lands Fedora I will be impressed, if he hire a retread or worse (ala June Jones) we will ALL know ASU doesn't have a clue what they are doing from a sports front..

I don't have faith, but hope... and these days thats about all ASU fans actually have

HooverDam

Reaction score
I can't imagine ASU landing Fedora. If Fedora is indeed meeting with ASU and TAMU and both schools want him, he'll certainly choose TAMU. Higher pay, better facilities, more tradition, better conference, more fan support and of course its home town and likely his dream job.

Oddly like I sort of half jokingly said earlier in this thread, Houston losing to Southern Miss could push Sumlin back in our direction if both parties are big enough to re-engage each other. I'm not sure how hot UCLA is after him, but obviously with Mazzone and having visited here ASU might have a slight inside track (though UCLA has more money/history to throw at him).

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I'm not sure how hot UCLA is after him, but obviously with Mazzone and having visited here ASU might have a slight inside track (though UCLA has more money/history to throw at him).
According to report UCLA isn't looking at Sumlin anymore. But who knows for sure. And in a head to head matchup with them, I think ASU would win out.

- They probably have a more inept AD then ASU does.
- Their facilities are not good. No on campus stadium and I read they don't even have a full practice field.
- The cost of living there negates their money advantage (this is especially true for assistant coaches).
- Basketball is their focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn