HBCU Combine

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Black colleges have gotten frustrated with what they feel is a lack of representation at the NFL Combine. In 2021 no HBCU players were drafted and only a handful signed as UDFAs. So they decided to connect with the Senior Bowl to hold a second event today & tomorrow; a Combine. This was going to begin in 2020, but I’m sure you can guess what happened. They invited their top 40 players this year. The list is below. Since all teams and many independent evaluators attend the Senior Bowl it’s certain all NFL teams will have representatives there. Microsoft is sponsoring the event. Keep in mind Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Michael Strahan and Shannon Sharp are just a few of the HBCU alumni. In case you missed it Deion Sanders, Jackson State Coach, signed one of the nation’s top QBs then followed that by signing a big time receiver for HBCU Jackson State where he coaches. Things are changing. The Cards should keep their eye on Keenan Forbes (6’3”, 335 lbs). An offensive guard who excelled in pass protection. He initially red-shirted at Iowa State. He moved from there to JC then went to Washington State for spring practice but he felt more comfortable returning to his home state to attend Florida A&M. He’s wide bodied and very strong. He anchors well and show good balance.

While we’re on the subject of HBCU here’s a name to keep in mind, James Houston. He’s played both DE & OLB. His performance last year; he posted 70 tackles, 24.5 tackles for a loss, 16.5 sacks, 10 quarterback hits, 3 forced fumbles, 3 deflected passes and an interception in 13 games. I don’t agree with Deion Sanders that he reminds me of Micah Parson, but I understand why he said it. This guy has potential, but he needs opportunity. Lest you think he’s just a small school guy at Florida he tallied 100 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles before transferring. He had some off the field issues at FL including the credit card scandal, which was not as heinous as it sounds. He also got ejected once for targeting. Technique-wise he has some decent rush moves. He has a natural bend to his set up, displaying a good use of leverage. He has an excellent motor and plays until the whistle. He’s a fine athlete who shows a good sense of balance. He has great hands as evidenced by all the disruption he causes. He’ll need to add more muscle to be successful in the NFL, but his frame can accommodate it. Both these guys should last until round 7 and could be UDFAs.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score