Hawks managment news

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Take it for what its worth but hawks fans are saying news radio is reporting hawks managment are suing eachother!!!

now i know how people get sucked into this soap opera garbage...i hate it but i cant help but follow!!!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
joshstmarie said:
Take it for what its worth but hawks fans are saying news radio is reporting hawks managment are suing eachother!!!

now i know how people get sucked into this soap opera garbage...i hate it but i cant help but follow!!!!
I wouldn't doubt it. From what I have read, these guys have been unable to agree for a while now. To make this franchise go, one side will have to buy the other out. Unfortunatly, each side doesn't want to be the one bought out. JJ is just the tip of the iceberg, or the last straw that's making each side push for a power play.

The season is a ways away. Unless JJ and his agent walk away from the deal, and look to us to do something the Suns and JJ can agree upon, I think this thing may be resolved later, rather than sooner.

As anyone who has been sued before knows, once the courts are involved, nothing ever moves as fast as you want. :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If this is true, and there is some kind of legal action going on between the owners, this deal won't happen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
If this is true, and there is some kind of legal action going on between the owners, this deal won't happen.
Can't say I am too sad if it doesn't. Reading some Hawks boards, they aren't too happy with the deal either. They think they are giving up too much. We think they aren't giving enough. Plus, they have doubts JJ can be the man by himself...

I wonder if their fans have made their unhappiness known like our management acknowledged they heard from us. Could put some pressure on some of the Hawks management to have second thoughts on the deal, too. If their view was getting fans to the gates via JJ. :shrug:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
the more time goes by the more likely this thing falls through

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I will actually be upset if the deal falls through now.

I have decided I would rather have Bell play 30 minutes a game with his contract, the 2 likely lottery picks and Diaw than JJ at 70 million.

Not to mention the trade exception.

Also, if the deal falls through I think that there is a significant chance that Joe takes the 1 year tender and becomes unrestricted next summer.

Reaction score
I didn't realize what kind of hassle it was to get anything done inside the Hawks organization until recently. What a messed up organization!

If they are really about to take an issue to court in order to settle something that they should be able to handle themselves, I can't see anyone wanting to go there. They should be honored JJ would want to play for them. Because he's the only star player that will.

They had better hope Marvin Williams lives up to the hype.

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMO it should have NEVER gotten this far, i mean did the hawks managment even TALK about this before they decided to offer joe the contract???

samtheman

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I have decided I would rather have Bell play 30 minutes a game with his contract, the 2 likely lottery picks and Diaw than JJ at 70 million.
In the proposed deal the 2 picks were lottery-protected.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
samtheman said:
In the proposed deal the 2 picks were lottery-protected.

For next year. We likely won't seem them until the protection loosens or goes away completely.

The Lakers *might* make the playoffs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:
I didn't realize what kind of hassle it was to get anything done inside the Hawks organization until recently. What a messed up organization!

If they are really about to take an issue to court in order to settle something that they should be able to handle themselves, I can't see anyone wanting to go there. They should be honored JJ would want to play for them. Because he's the only star player that will.

They had better hope Marvin Williams lives up to the hype.

Marvin reportedly really struggled in summer league, I still think he's going to be a great player eventually, but the numbers from summer league don't look too good.

On Johnson, good player but to me it just reeks of Steve Smith part 2. Smith was an up and coming player in Miami but some yahoo was convinced that Steve was the next Magic so he moved Steve to fulltime PG and it wasn't until Steve became a Hawk that he ever really reached his potential, at SG.

Johnson is very talented but if he moves to PG I predict he'll struggle.

Reaction score
joshstmarie said:
IMO it should have NEVER gotten this far, i mean did the hawks managment even TALK about this before they decided to offer joe the contract???
That's what I'm wondering. $70 million is a lot of cash to be offered without knowing if everyone is on board. Especially the guy that must sign off on the deal.

And here I thought we were going to have a boring offseason. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
For next year. We likely won't seem them until the protection loosens or goes away completely.

The Lakers *might* make the playoffs.

I thought the Laker pick was just top 10 protected, not lottery.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I thought the Laker pick was just top 10 protected, not lottery.

Right. I couldn't remember the exact number so I didn't want to say anything (I thought it was top 8, but 10 sounds better) :p

So we will probably get the Lakers pick next season, and the Hawks the year afterwards. Both most likely being in the lottery.

moose

Reaction score
am i the only one who wants these picks to be protected next year. next years draft is going to suck. i wish we couldn't get the picks until 2007 when the draft will be much stronger.

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Marvin reportedly really struggled in summer league, I still think he's going to be a great player eventually, but the numbers from summer league don't look too good.

On Johnson, good player but to me it just reeks of Steve Smith part 2. Smith was an up and coming player in Miami but some yahoo was convinced that Steve was the next Magic so he moved Steve to fulltime PG and it wasn't until Steve became a Hawk that he ever really reached his potential, at SG.

Johnson is very talented but if he moves to PG I predict he'll struggle.
Joe would be an All-Star triangle PG. And I'm impressed that he has the ability to be a good backup in a fast break offense. But Atlanta, given their small size (and great athetes), are going to get a walk-it-up PG in JJ. So I'll agree that he should struggle.

I think he would be a great PG with the Piston, Spurs, or another team that milks the clock. He might suprise us all. But I get the feeling he is being offered the part to seal the deal.

They should have went after Jason Williams and decided to run. That would sell more tickets than getting the biggest available name in FA by offering him the job he covets.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Also, if the deal falls through I think that there is a significant chance that Joe takes the 1 year tender and becomes unrestricted next summer.

And if this were to happen, I'm willing to bet he doesn't get another Max offer again.

So long, JJ! You should have kept your mouth shut!

Last edited:
Reaction score
joshstmarie said:

Knight, Hawks stuck in trade limbo

The Associated Press - ATLANTA
As the Atlanta Thrashers showed off their big free-agent signee Thursday, the Atlanta Hawks and their would-be new star were still in trade limbo.

On Tuesday, when the Thrashers first announced they had signed center Bobby Holik, the Hawks made first mention of a "procedural issue" that was holding up a sign-and-trade deal to send guard Joe Johnson from Phoenix to Atlanta.

Since both teams are owned by the same Atlanta Spirit LLC group, two owners _ Bruce Levenson and Michael Gearon Jr. _ and chief executive officer Bernie Mullin couldn't avoid questions about the Hawks at the Thrashers' news conference Thursday.

The Thrashers moved quickly to sign Holik while the Hawks are left in limbo in their pursuit of Johnson. The contrast of the two deals left the impression that Hawks general manager Billy Knight doesn't enjoy the same support from the ownership group as does Thrashers general manager Don Waddell.

Also, no one willing to speak about the Johnson deal would deny that one owner _ Steve Belkin _ is not on the same page with the rest of the group.

Mullin acknowledged that having Knight appear to lack Belkin's support is not good for the Hawks' chances of dealing with other free agents.

"Obviously, it's a concern at this point in time," Mullin said. "It's not a concern in the long term."

Added Mullin: "Management is 100 percent behind Billy Knight as is clearly the overwhelming majority of the ownership group."

The "overwhelming majority" does not include Belkin, the NBA governor in the ownership group and the man who must sign off on all deals.

Belkin did not attend Thursday's news conference and did not return a phone message.

Hawks spokesman Arthur Triche said Knight had no comment on the trade Thursday.

Levenson conceded that the breakdown in the trade talks "is not the way I would script it."

"I would be happy today if Joe Johnson were an Atlanta Hawk today, but we are working as hard as we can to make that happen," Levenson said.

Belkin may be concerned the Hawks are giving up to much to obtain Johnson, who would sign a five-year, $69.6 million contract with Phoenix that would include a 2005-06 salary of about $20 million. The contract would be traded to the Hawks, who would give up two first-round picks, second-year guard Boris Diaw and a $4.9 million trade exception.

Johnson, 24, would become the Hawks' highest-paid player.

Johnson averaged 17.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.5 assists as a combo guard with the Suns last season. With Atlanta, he likely would be the starting point guard.

Levenson and Gearon said they expect the logjam will be settled soon and the trade will go through.

"Yes, I really think it's going to get done," Levenson said, adding "This is a bump in the road."

Said Gearon: "Am I confident? Yeah, I am confident. We'll see. I think we'll work through it."

Belkin, based in Boston, holds a 30 percent stake in the Atlanta Spirit LLC ownership group. The Washington-based owners, including Levenson and Ed Peskowitz, own 40 percent. The Atlanta-based owners, including Gearon and Rutherford Seydel, own 30 percent.

"We have a partnership agreement and we have an agreement with the NBA that governs how we operate," Levenson said. "Those agreements make sure that we do our business, and we're doing our business. It doesn't mean that every bit of business will be done as perfectly as we'd like to get done, but we'll get it done."
All of a sudden, Sarver's ownership looks much better.:D

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What is the current market for a player who would rather be a happy loser than a well paid winner?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What happens if the Hawks cough up a hairball and the whole deal falls apart.

No trade, no offer, nothing?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the Suns could sign JJ to a normaly structured $69 million deal for 5 years would Sarver go for that?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
69.5 million for 5 years

He is not being paid that yet. If this deal falls through, is anyone else going to offer the same deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard