Hatchet Job on the front page of Yahoo

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm as liberal and progressive as they come, hell I moved to Portland just for that reason. With that being said, this is a terrible click bait article that is intended to get clicks and file people up. Yahoo is one step from being AOL red headed step child and I wouldn't doubt if these ideas a fed through propaganda mechanisms trying to cause a divide and hurt the NFL. Anyone who blames this article in Liberalism or progressiveness is looking for something to bitch about. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I went back and looked at the Cowboys history.

They've had ZERO black/minority head coaches, ZERO black/minority offensive coordinators, and only one black/minority DC, Brian Stewart in their 58 year history.

They've also had zero minority GMs as Jerry has been both owner and GM.

Last edited:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
What's this Yahoo thing? Weren't they popular during dial-up?

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure what you guys are crying about. This is what the overwhelming majority of you live for. This is what happens when you let liberalism run rampant.
It's not ideological reporting. It's just bad, fallacious reporting. It's the old "If A = B and B = C, then A = C" fallacy

A. The Cardinals are a franchise in the NFL.
B. NFL franchises have exhibited latent racism.
C. Therefore the Cardinals practice racism.

Yahoo has been in the business of speculative reporting just as much as any "conservative" outlet does. They are a dying outlet that is desperate for eyeballs to sell ads to pay people. BSPN pulls the same ***** every day. They have 738 channels and couldn't fill them all if you broadcast Spanish castell-building contests or the World Series of Snooker.

Dale Hansen is nothing more than an aging blowhard trying to recapture the glory of past Texas days. Did you ever see the BSPN doco about SMU football? He spoke about it like "It was just another thing." Well, Dale, I'm sorry, Dale. Landry ain't walking through that tunnel. Neither is Dandy Don, Roger the Dodger, Danny or Troy. Stick to reruns of Dallass, and keep believing that Ken Kercheval really shot J.R. Ewing. Oh and BTW, the web domain enron.com is for sale.

Durr. :deadhorse2:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This isn't about liberalism or progressivism, it's about knee jerk reactionaries who like to take complex issues and try to dumb them down for clicks. That seems to be rampant today regardless of political ideology. People need to start thinking and stop being reactionary and painting everything with an asinine political brush.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This might be the first thread I’ve started to get locked. Or maybe even moved to P&R.

I feel all warm and tingly inside!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, it's not. This is progressivism at it's worst. It's never about who's best for a particular job. The only thing that matters to progressives is what group dynamic you belong to. This is why in this day and age we're not Americans anymore. We have to hyphenate everything. And when something doesn't go the way a progressive thinks it should have gone, there's always soem kind of nefarious reason for it. For the 2nd time in our franchise history, we hired a black man to coach this team and just like the last time, it just didn't work out. And as many pointed out, we were one of if not the first to hire a black man as GM and he stayed around for a while(and was absolutely bashed on this board at times). We were also the first to hire a female coach but nope, we fire the coach because he was over his head but automatically it was because he was black. Doesn't surprise me coming from a group of people who see racism behind every tree and every blade of grass.
Man do you paint everything with such an overbroad brush? You’re worse than the people you denigrate.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm as liberal and progressive as they come, hell I moved to Portland just for that reason. With that being said, this is a terrible click bait article that is intended to get clicks and file people up. Yahoo is one step from being AOL red headed step child and I wouldn't doubt if these ideas a fed through propaganda mechanisms trying to cause a divide and hurt the NFL. Anyone who blames this article in Liberalism or progressiveness is looking for something to bitch about. Be part of the solution, not the problem.
Precisely.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ESPN and guys like Stephen A. Smith promote this garbage. The day after KK was hired that’s all you heard...and the Cardinals have been as progressive as any organization.
Agree. There are a lot of stupid “sports journalists.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do you expect any different? He's been parked on my ignore list for years now. He's proof that the Idiocracy is taking over.
Very few people consistently bug me enough to land on my ignore. It takes a lot. I guess he hasn’t reached that . . . yet.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man do you paint everything with such an overbroad brush? You’re worse than the people you denigrate.
You mean like all Trump supporters are racist rednecks? You mean like that? Funny how progressives paint people they don't agree with with a mile wide brush but then the mirror is shined back in their faces, they hate it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What irresponsibility. Hurts the cause they say they support.

Wasn't Rod Graves the first black GM in NFL history? I think some debate that because his official title was VP in charge of football operations or something of the sort.

Coaches, coordinators, and mgmt.

Denny Green
Ray Horton
Todd Bowles
Rod Graves
Steve Wilks
Vance Joseph
Al Holcomb

and probably more.

Cardinals are actually at the front when it comes to diversity but who Gots time to do actual research these days

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Idiot journalists need to be held accountable for their trash just like the people they purport to 'expose'.

Guess what Dale.....

6-24
0-34
10-45
3-17
10-45
14-40
9-31

This is why your precious lost his job. Not because the Bidwills run around in white hoods in the locker room.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do they want us to do? To stick with a coach that will go

And

In the near future?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yahoo is full of liberal bile...What a shock...

You wanna wade into those waters????? Really??? Im PROGRESSIVE AF and think this article is lazy, irresponsible and flat out wrong. SO so very tired of anything considered a liberal viewpoint instantly being labelled as bile. Id ask our fine moderators to keep an eye on the OP. He's looking to politicize the football board. Move him somewhere. Soon.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s modern liberalism to a T. The facts are irrelevant. Intent is irrelevant. If someone is offended, it’s offensive and their level of outrage determines the perceived level of hate that was incorporated. Sad.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
setting aside the Yahoo piece -- its a polemic, and should be treated as such --

I do think that the NFL for coaching and front office jobs has operated as a informal network or guild ( similar to other entertainment businesses) that is very hard to penetrate without "a sponsor" to get you in.

Just look at all the family links around the NFL. As an example, Sean McVay is John McVay's grandson. Think Sean gets his first low level staff job if he didn't have that connection? He had to be competent to get where he is now, but that first chance was also really important.

Further, this is a really small pool of jobs ( ~350 coaches, ~200 FO people) overall, and the pay is very high. Even position coaches make $250k+ per year -- making them a top 5% earner overall in the US, and if you advance from there, it just goes way up.

So lots of competition to get in -- maybe 20-30 entry level openings a year. You need to be really tight with someone on the inside to get the chance. Even if all the players in a network like this were 0% racially motivated, it likely produces results that are racially disparate (or said differently -- it would produce a near mirror image of itself), and its clear its not 0%.

I think Rooney rule has helped, but its a top down approach that doesnt address (AFAIK) entry at the bottom of the guild.

one last thing: hiring KK was totally going outside the rules of the guild, and i think that is a motivation of the criticism.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"Families" spend 100s of millions on these teams - why wouldn't they want to keep their families involved if they so choose? Sports are gladiatorial entertainment [and I love them], not a necessity. I have no issue with owners running the teams how they want. If they want a good product and good returns, they will be smart about it and employ good people. That may include family - it may not. It may include minorities (in FO/coaching positions - it definitely will in the arena!) - it may not.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You mean like all Trump supporters are racist rednecks? You mean like that? Funny how progressives paint people they don't agree with with a mile wide brush but then the mirror is shined back in their faces, they hate it.
Well, (a) I don’t do that, I take people on an individual-by-individual basis; and (b) really? The “they do it so why can’t I? Waaaahhhh justification for doing something wrong? So I’m taking you on an individual-by-individual basis . . . lame.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn