Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another point of debate/discussion:

My take is that Voldemort couldn't have killed Harry no matter what at that point. He was the Master of Death. Owner of the the Invisibility Cloak. Rightful owner of the stone (even if he dropped it, so what, it was still his...he activated it). True master of the Wand...the Deathstick. He had all three Deathly Hallows under his ownership in one form or another.

Voldy could not have touched him (which is part of why crucio did him no harm).

HOWEVER...his sacrifice of his life weakened Voldy far more, giving protection to those friends fighting still. Giving them his Lily-like love and protection, allowing them to survive (neville was burning, but able to kill Nagini?). His sacrifice was huge, and reverberated throughout Hogwarts. He could ONLY die if he CHOSE to die, and he CHOSE to die. Voldemort had no power over him...and when he CHOSE to come back (the Master of Death) Voldemort had even less power over him and Harry knew it....

And I LOVE that Harry gave him a chance to be remorseful...to heal his fractured soul but Riddle could not. Harry, the Master of Death, fully understood it at that point.

And then he relinquished the Master of Death spot by not looking for the ring and by burying the wand with DD. Only keeping the cloak, which in the story in the book was the choice of the wise brother...the one who lived long and had a good life and met death on his own terms.

At least that's the way I see it...your thoughts?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Things that didn't take place or I felt were missing:

JK said something about "someone coming into magic later in life" and this wasn't resolved.

What was behind that door at the ministry?

What did Dudders see when the dementors came?

What did James and Lilly do for a living? For that matter, what do the Potters and Weasleys in the epilouge do? Harry become an auror? I wondered if he might have become a teacher at Hogwartz (DADA). No closure there.

Holey George...what of him?

Draco marry Pansy?

Is the DADA position still cursed, or did that die with Volderiddle?

How did Lilly and James (and the Longbottoms as well) thrice defeat Voldemort (according to the prophecy?)
What door?

I agree with you that I wanted to know what they did for a living. Harry wan't a teacher obviously, but it would've been interesting to know what they did. I was fine with the epilogue though...it was a good ending. I wasn't disappointed like I was after reading the Everworld series.

You know, I never thought of rape, but it makes sense. I just assumed they were all under 10 so rape didn't come to mind.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What door?

In OotP, Harry kept dreaming about a locked door that he never could get to in order to open it. When in the Ministry..he saw the locked door. Most people assumed he would open that door in this book, but he didn't.

Nasser22

Reaction score
In OotP, Harry kept dreaming about a locked door that he never could get to in order to open it. When in the Ministry..he saw the locked door. Most people assumed he would open that door in this book, but he didn't.

That's the door to the Department of Mysteries(sp?) because he saw Voldermort go in there and torture Sirius so that's the door him and his friends went through...? Yeah I'm pretty sure it was because as his dreams went on he got closer and closer and near the end it even opened for him and that's what they went through to save Sirius.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the door to the Department of Mysteries(sp?) because he saw Voldermort go in there and torture Sirius so that's the door him and his friends went through...? Yeah I'm pretty sure it was because as his dreams went on he got closer and closer and near the end it even opened for him and that's what they went through to save Sirius.

From Wiki on Department of Mysteries and the rooms:

The rooms at the Department each seem (although not spelled out directly) to refer to various mysteries of life, such as "Time", "Space", "Death", and "Love". These rooms include:

An entrance room whose walls rotate, disorienting its occupants for several seconds, whenever all of its doors are closed. This is presumably a security device to keep non-employees of the Department from reaching a desired room. Responds to a verbal request for an exit by opening the correct door.
The Thought Chamber - A long room in which brains swim in a green solution.
The Space Chamber - A dark room full of planets floating in mid-air. Visitors may find themselves floating as well.

The Death Chamber - A large, square room with stone tiers leading down to a pit in the centre. In this pit is a dais, on which stands an ancient arch with a tattered curtain hanging from it. Called the "Death Chamber" by Dumbledore. It was through this archway that Sirius Black, Harry Potter's godfather, fell through and died in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

The Time Chamber - A room in which various time-related devices are kept, such as clocks of every description and Time-Turners (necklaces with hourglass pendants, which will send the wearer back in time when the pendant is turned over). It also contains a mysterious bell jar, inside which anything will grow steadily younger and younger, then slowly return to its original age in a never-ending cycle.

The Hall of Prophecy - A giant room with over a hundred rows of shelves, where recordings of prophecies are kept. Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, and Luna Lovegood are lured to this room by Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

The ever-locked room - A room behind a door that remains locked at all times and which cannot be unlocked by either the Alohomora spell or magical unlocking penknives. According to Albus Dumbledore, behind that door is the most mysterious subject of study in the Department: a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature.......It is the power held within that room that you [Harry] possess in such quantities and which Voldemort has not at all.. In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, this power was confirmed through a dialogue between Harry and Dumbledore to be love.

The bolded one is the one I am referring to, but as it says it is confirmed to be love behind it. I just thought we might go behind the veil and the locked door in this book. No biggie though.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Anyone else find Snape's obsession with Lily more creepy than anything? :p I still liked hearing that he really was on Dumbledore's side, but that part did bug me.

Also glad neither Harry, Ginny, Hermione nor Ron died. I was so sure at least two of them would.

Sad to see Lupin go. He was one of my favorite characters, but there needed to be some death in this book.

Oh yeah and, Kingsley is a beast! It was pretty funny in the movie though how they had him dressed up in full Kwanza gear.

A little, but Snape was a creepy guy. But heroic too, in a different way. True platonic love is achieved when one becomes resigned to unrequited love.

Gambit

Reaction score

JK said something about "someone coming into magic later in life" and this wasn't resolved.

What did James and Lilly do for a living? For that matter, what do the Potters and Weasleys in the epilouge do? Harry become an auror? I wondered if he might have become a teacher at Hogwartz (DADA). No closure there.

Draco marry Pansy?

How did Lilly and James (and the Longbottoms as well) thrice defeat Voldemort (according to the prophecy?)

Why couldn't Harry see the thestrals until after he witnesses Cedric's death--he had already witnessed Lily's death so shouldn't they always have been visible?

Gambit

Reaction score

Draco marry Pansy?

I don't think Harry became an auror, just because his own declared intention was to retire undefeated so the Elder Wand lost its power. I think he became a Seeker for a pro Quidditch team. The Bournsemouth Cardinals, perhaps?

Gambit

Reaction score

My take is that Voldemort couldn't have killed Harry no matter what at that point. He was the Master of Death. Owner of the the Invisibility Cloak. Rightful owner of the stone (even if he dropped it, so what, it was still his...he activated it). True master of the Wand...the Deathstick. He had all three Deathly Hallows under his ownership in one form or another.

HOWEVER...his sacrifice of his life weakened Voldy far more, giving protection to those friends fighting still. Giving them his Lily-like love and protection, allowing them to survive (neville was burning, but able to kill Nagini?). His sacrifice was huge, and reverberated throughout Hogwarts. He could ONLY die if he CHOSE to die, and he CHOSE to die. Voldemort had no power over him...and when he CHOSE to come back (the Master of Death) Voldemort had even less power over him and Harry knew it....

And I LOVE that Harry gave him a chance to be remorseful...to heal his fractured soul but Riddle could not. Harry, the Master of Death, fully understood it at that point.

And then he relinquished the Master of Death spot by not looking for the ring and by burying the wand with DD. Only keeping the cloak, which in the story in the book was the choice of the wise brother...the one who lived long and had a good life and met death on his own terms.

Very nice....I agree with it

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
here is an awesome article summarizing Rowlings interview on the Today show.

she tells what characters got the reprieve, and some more back story

apperantly she is also going to publish a harry potter encyclopedia (from her notes) with more back story and more of an epilogue.

here is the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

For the millions in the midst of the seven stages of mourning for the end of the Harry Potter era, take heart.

In her first tell-all interview since the release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” J.K. Rowling told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira she will most likely publish a Potter encyclopedia, promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book’s epilogue.

“I suppose I have (started) because the raw material is all in my notes,” Rowling said.

The encyclopedia would include back stories of characters she has already written but had to cut for the sake of narrative arc (“I've said before that Dean Thomas had a much more interesting history than ever appeared in the books”), as well as details about the characters who survive “Deathly Hallows,” characters who continue to live on in Rowling’s mind in a clearly defined magical world.

Hogwarts, for example, would have a new headmaster (“McGonagle was really getting on a bit”), and Rowling said she can see Harry going back to “give lectures on Defense Against the Dark Arts.” That class, by the way, would be led by a permanent professor since Voldemort’s death broke the jinx he placed on the position which didn’t allow a teacher to stay for more than a year.

Rowling offered up these details freely to Vieira and the 14 fans who asked her questions at Edinburgh Castle in Scotland on Tuesday. In fact, now that she is now longer burdened with having to guard the secrets of book seven, Rowling seemed to delight in discussing her plot choices and clearing up the mysteries that have previously surrounded the books.

The character Rowling couldn’t bear to kill
One of the big stories that has been floating among fans for over a year is that one character gets a reprieve from death, while two others Rowling didn’t intend to kill end up dying in “Deathly Hallows.”

“Mr. Weasley, he was the person who got a reprieve,” Rowling said. “When I sketched out the books, Mr. Weasley was due to die in Book Five.”

Instead, another father in the book — Remus Lupin — and his wife, Tonks, die in the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving their newborn child, Teddy, an orphan.

Even though Rowling couldn’t bear to kill off Arthur Weasley, Rowling said every character was extremely difficult for her. Given the blood bath that is “Deathly Hallows,” the writing of it was bound to be an emotional roller coaster.

But nothing in the entire process of the series was more difficult than writing the scene when Harry, accompanied by his deceased lost loved ones – James, Lily, Sirius and Lupin — walks into the forest with the intent of sacrificing his life in the name of defeating Voldemort, Rowling said, adding it is her favorite passage in all seven books.

“I didn't cry as I was writing (that chapter), but when I finished writing, I had enormous explosion of emotion and I cried and cried and cried,” Rowling said.

“That was partly because of the content-- and partly because it had been planned for so long and been roughed out for so long. And to write the definitive version felt like a-- a huge climax.”

“The Deathly Hallows” is a climax to the last 17 years of Rowling’s life, a time when she has gone from a single divorced mother living on public assistance to a married mother of three and one richest women in the world.

It’s now time to sit back for a bit and enjoy the life that Harry has given her, Rowling said. And, when she’s ready, there’s always that encyclopedia waiting in the wings.

“I’m not going to do it tomorrow because I’d really like a break,” Rowling said, laughing. “So you may be waiting.”

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is an awesome article summarizing Rowlings interview on the Today show.

she tells what characters got the reprieve, and some more back story

apperantly she is also going to publish a harry potter encyclopedia (from her notes) with more back story and more of an epilogue.

here is the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

For the millions in the midst of the seven stages of mourning for the end of the Harry Potter era, take heart.

In her first tell-all interview since the release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” J.K. Rowling told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira she will most likely publish a Potter encyclopedia, promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book’s epilogue.

“I suppose I have (started) because the raw material is all in my notes,” Rowling said.

The encyclopedia would include back stories of characters she has already written but had to cut for the sake of narrative arc (“I've said before that Dean Thomas had a much more interesting history than ever appeared in the books”), as well as details about the characters who survive “Deathly Hallows,” characters who continue to live on in Rowling’s mind in a clearly defined magical world.

Hogwarts, for example, would have a new headmaster (“McGonagle was really getting on a bit”), and Rowling said she can see Harry going back to “give lectures on Defense Against the Dark Arts.” That class, by the way, would be led by a permanent professor since Voldemort’s death broke the jinx he placed on the position which didn’t allow a teacher to stay for more than a year.

Rowling offered up these details freely to Vieira and the 14 fans who asked her questions at Edinburgh Castle in Scotland on Tuesday. In fact, now that she is now longer burdened with having to guard the secrets of book seven, Rowling seemed to delight in discussing her plot choices and clearing up the mysteries that have previously surrounded the books.

The character Rowling couldn’t bear to kill
One of the big stories that has been floating among fans for over a year is that one character gets a reprieve from death, while two others Rowling didn’t intend to kill end up dying in “Deathly Hallows.”

“Mr. Weasley, he was the person who got a reprieve,” Rowling said. “When I sketched out the books, Mr. Weasley was due to die in Book Five.”

Instead, another father in the book — Remus Lupin — and his wife, Tonks, die in the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving their newborn child, Teddy, an orphan.

Even though Rowling couldn’t bear to kill off Arthur Weasley, Rowling said every character was extremely difficult for her. Given the blood bath that is “Deathly Hallows,” the writing of it was bound to be an emotional roller coaster.

But nothing in the entire process of the series was more difficult than writing the scene when Harry, accompanied by his deceased lost loved ones – James, Lily, Sirius and Lupin — walks into the forest with the intent of sacrificing his life in the name of defeating Voldemort, Rowling said, adding it is her favorite passage in all seven books.

“I didn't cry as I was writing (that chapter), but when I finished writing, I had enormous explosion of emotion and I cried and cried and cried,” Rowling said.

“That was partly because of the content-- and partly because it had been planned for so long and been roughed out for so long. And to write the definitive version felt like a-- a huge climax.”

“The Deathly Hallows” is a climax to the last 17 years of Rowling’s life, a time when she has gone from a single divorced mother living on public assistance to a married mother of three and one richest women in the world.

It’s now time to sit back for a bit and enjoy the life that Harry has given her, Rowling said. And, when she’s ready, there’s always that encyclopedia waiting in the wings.

“I’m not going to do it tomorrow because I’d really like a break,” Rowling said, laughing. “So you may be waiting.”

That was nice...what an amazing experience for her.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I've never watched nor read any of these. Does potter die?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Harry became an auror, just because his own declared intention was to retire undefeated so the Elder Wand lost its power. I think he became a Seeker for a pro Quidditch team. The Bournsemouth Cardinals, perhaps?

I am leaning toward him becoming an Unspeakable, personally. He's such a curious cat he'd be a great wizard intelligence officer. But yeah, pro Quidditch seeker seems likely. :)

Last edited:

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
Great...might be my favorite of the series.

It was well done and I hope she writes more stuff about the wizarding world than that encyclopedia.

I thought everything was wrapped up nicely. I can't think of any loose ends that weren't tied up.

Best part: The epilogue. The futures of several characters where shown nicely and weren't heavy-handed, but was very natural. It also left a good feeling within me. All was, indeed, well.

Worst part: When Lupin and Tonks died. Fred dying stunk, too, but these two hurt most of all because A) I liked the characters and B) they had a kid that was now orphaned.

Well, at least the four people I didn't want dead most of all--Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny--lived.

Snape ended up not being the great betrayer, but possibly the most loyal of Dumbledore's servants. That was a good ending to Snape's story. And Neville rocks--it was he, the bumbling guy who just didn't seem to do magic very well, who stood up to Voldemort and defied him to his face. Also, he helped in the destruction of Voldemort. You go, Neville.

May there be more adventures about the wizarding world that J. K. Rowling writes, because this adventure, from books 1-7, was fantastic.

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score

:raccoon:

and thus harry said to riddle, you never do learn do you?

Last edited:

Nasser22

Reaction score
Good article.
It was nice to know what the 3 friends went on to do. I didn't think Harry was a pro quidditch player because then his kids wouldn't be wondering why people were starting from the train because as a pro athlete he would get attention there. I always thought he would be an Auror, but I did think your other suggestion made more sense for him, Donald.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Come on...more of you have to have finished this, ffs!

:mulli:

I finished last night. I'm sad that the series is over. :(

I thought the way Voldemort died was kind of anti-climatic. I wanted Harry to kill him personally, with the killing curse. Neville cutting off Nagini's head was awesome though.