Haason Reddick

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's not about how many tackles but where you tackled the guy and should you have been the guy to make the tackle in the first place. Simple, Baker and Reddick are busts for where they were taken and what is required of their position. They are not playmakers and have had enough time to highlight something if anything

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yeah...I put up something like this in the past, but I will do it again...

Playmakers
1-Chandler Jones - OLB
2-Patrick Peterson - CB
3-
4-

Key Pieces
5-Jordan Hicks - ILB
6-Corey Peters - DT
7-
8-

Replaceable Parts
9-Budda Baker - S
10-Terrell Suggs - OLB
11-

This is the current state of our defense today. Too early to tell on Zach Allen, Byron Murphy, Dionte Thompson, and Jalen Thompson. I think Byron Murphy and Zach Allen can end the year in the Key Pieces/Replaceable Parts category. I think Robert Alford can be a Replaceable Part if healthy. Past this, we need quality bodies.

I guess Gunter is in the "replaceable" category? That's where I would put him. And I would put Peters in "replaceable" too, but, I won't belabor the point.

Also, I would already put Murphy in "key pieces". I'm super, super impressed with him.

It's a bleak picture. We'll have to be perfect in 2020 FA and the draft for this to be a top fifteen unit next year.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess Gunter is in the "replaceable" category? That's where I would put him. And I would put Peters in "replaceable" too, but, I won't belabor the point.

Also, I would already put Murphy in "key pieces". I'm super, super impressed with him.

It's a bleak picture. We'll have to be perfect in 2020 FA and the draft for this to be a top fifteen unit next year.

Man I haven't heard Gunter's name all year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
2nd leading tackler in the league isnt a play maker? (Hicks)
3rd leading safety and 13th overall leading tackler is replaceable? (Budda)

we agree on all other facets though. Suggs is so replaceable it hurts. If only we had a quick edge guy drafted in the first round...
Hicks is a solid LB, but no one is confusing him with Luke Kuechly, Trumaine Edmonds and Bobby Wagner. He doesn't lock down players in coverage. He doesn't rush the passer. He is not dominant vs the run. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Baker doesn't make plays. It doesn't mean he can't be a part of a good defense, but no one is building around him.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
10. Patrick Mahomes 11. Marshon Lattimore 12. DeShaun Watson 13. Hassan Reddick

I would print that list on business cards & hand then out to bartenders all across Arizona. Anytime Keim, gets a bit rowdy have them slip it under his drink.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on Reddick:

my unsubstantiated speculation:

in that draft, i bet Keim / BA felt 100% certain that Watson or Mahomes would be there at 12, and one of them was going to be their pick

then Houston and KC jump up and take the QBs

they end up picking from a group of players that they never thought they would have to pick from -- and botched it

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Gunter is depth. No more, no less. As good as Murphy has been this year, no one is throwing away from him. He still has a ways to go.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Gunter is depth. No more, no less. As good as Murphy has been this year, no one is throwing away from him. He still has a ways to go.
I like Gunter in the rotation, but we do need an upgrade. When alford get back Murphy will be a no3 cb.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
on Reddick:

my unsubstantiated speculation:

in that draft, i bet Keim / BA felt 100% certain that Watson or Mahomes would be there at 12, and one of them was going to be their pick

then Houston and KC jump up and take the QBs

they end up picking from a group of players that they never thought they would have to pick from -- and botched it

FWIW, Gambo was all over the Reddick pick the day of the draft. He said at the time the Cards has a top 3 or top 5 grade on him.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That tackling conversation got pretty epic for a second there

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Budda Baker hasn't intercepted a pass in his 2.5 years in the league.

Budda Baker has 9 PDs in 2.5 years, and only 2 of those have happened in the last 1.5 years.

Budda Baker has 4 FFs, 3 FRs and 3 sacks in his 2.5 years in the league.

Budda Baker is not a playmaker. Sometimes I think that his reputation is skewed because he has a cool name and handsprings himself off the ground.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Joe Walker to replace Reddick in the starting lineup...
It’s pretty damn close to being able to confirm Reddick is a BUST. [emoji30]

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Man I haven't heard Gunter's name all year.

Gunter is playing at his level this year. He had a career year in 2018, an outlier. Look at 2015-17 and you will see that 2019 will be just about where he was in 2015-17. There is a reason he received no interest in FA and ended up resigning with the Cardinals.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Nice breakdown, I tend to agree.

Time to move on. I'm scared that the Cardinals are going to have a losing streak come up, and will somehow close out the season with 2-3 nice wins and Michael will think the team is on track.

The most maddening part of the Keim era is how many solid veterans he has let go of, often now fully replacing their production. Golden is a solid #2/3 pass rush option.

All it will take is another win or two and MB will keep SK on.

I honestly think things changed the year he didn't resign Calais Campbell and let him walk. I still believe that was one of his biggest mistakes.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good night Keim. Hello Quentin Harris.

List of Mr. Harris achievements:
  • not ******* up the first round picks of every draft
  • not signing terrible QBs with heavy contacts and then getting rid of them the next season
  • not getting a DUI
  • better looking bald man than Keim

I'm in

Why? I have no knowledge of how this actually works, but shouldnt our entire scouting dept. hit the bricks?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think that if Budda can be the 6th best player on a really quality defense. To a great extent, this is what he was his first season when he played really well. He's a homeless man's Honey Badger.

Reddick can be the 8th best player on a good defense. You'd like more than that from a mid-first round pick, but someone has to be that.
I agree that you’re going to have a couple-few guys that are average to below average. But those are also the guys you constantly try to upgrade. Of course prioritizing is important (for instance d line and Suggs replacement). But even then there’s a difference between 8th best in a good defense and 8th best on a bad defense. And we are a bad defense right now. And to be honest I’m not certain i could identify 3 starters worse than Reddick. maybe our two defensive ends? Suggs? Thompson? So at best he’s the 7th best player on a really bad defense. The more i think about it he should be a bench guy.

As for budda, no he’s not poor mans badger. That’s giving him a lot more credit than he’s earned. In 2.5 seasons he’s got:

Interceptions: ZERO
Passes defensed: 9 (7 of which were his rookie season - yikes!)
Forced fumbles: 4
Fumble recoveries: 3
Sacks: 3 (zero this year)
Tackles for loss: 12 (1 this year)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BakeBu00.htm

Those are pedestrian at best (and definitely not “playmaker”) numbers for 38 games played and nowhere close to approximating badger. And other than one or two plays over his career I can’t recall more than two or three splash plays, but I recall a ton of poor plays. He had the badger rep coming out of UW, but it hasn’t held up in the least. I think his rookie year he flashed a little and combined with the badger rep it inflated a lot of people’s opinions of him. But it wasn’t accurate. I don’t even see great awareness in supporting the run game anymore - regardless of where they are playing him (which is admittedly out of position).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Speaking of too much credit.... Here is Jordan Hicks.

In short... Our LBers are not cutting it. And tackles tell very little about the whole story.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ok, I guess we do disagree quite a bit.

I would consider our #1 and #2 tacklers as guys to build around. You apparently dont think anyone on this defense is worth keeping. Glad you aren't GM because we have a few pieces. (Jones, PP, Hicks, Budda, and Murphy are worth keeping).

Hicks was literally just one of the most sought after FA linebackers and many pointed to him as the best player on the Eagles defense. HICKS IS CURRENTLY 2ND IN THE LEAGUE IN TACKLES. let me say that again. HICKS IS CURRENTLY 2ND IN THE LEAGUE IN TACKLES. but yeah sure, trade him away, he's not worth building around.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019ILB.php

Budda could be a top SS free agent target in 2021 if we let him walk. He's 13th in the league in tackles right now and 3rd for safeties, mostly from the deep FS position which he is not suited for.
I feel like we have this discussion all too often. Number of tackles means squat. If a LB is making those tackles 5 yards down field it’s a loss. If a safety leads the league in tackles it’s likely an indictment of your defense overall. Please try to find stats that actually matter.

And I actually like hicks. He’s no Karlos Dansby (I allowed my optimism to run wild there) but he’s an above average-to-good player.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
FWIW, Gambo was all over the Reddick pick the day of the draft. He said at the time the Cards has a top 3 or top 5 grade on him.

I know post draft they were talking about how Reddick + Baker were both in their top 15 or something, and that was the first time that happened since Fitz + Dansby

given the quality of that draft through the bottom of the first round -- how is that possible?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly think this is the thought process for some members here:

*Hicks or Budda makes a tackle*
"oh my god, he must've gotten beat/burned so he had to make a tackle. wow that guy sucks, he's always making tackles"
lol. Ookaaaay . . .