Griner currently in a Russian jail

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I heard a good analogy for the people who keep saying it's her own fault. (Yes it is her fault and admitted mistake) It's like getting caught for a crime, but getting sentenced 10 times longer than other people that get caught for the same thing. It's unfair.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard a good analogy for the people who keep saying it's her own fault. (Yes it is her fault and admitted mistake) It's like getting caught for a crime, but getting sentenced 10 times longer than other people that get caught for the same thing. It's unfair.
No different than getting in trouble in another country and the punishment turns out to be a public caning.

Different countries, different cultures, and different consequences.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the normal sentence for this crime in Russia, not the US?

It seems the average is about 3 years in prison, based on this source...

So she is being hit harder than most, roughly triple the regular penalty. For that, I feel for her. No one should lose 9 years in prison for pot. Especially when it's just regular possession and not running a huge drug empire.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are 10 of thousands of Americans in American jails for equal or lesser crimes involving Weed.
How about we fix our own backyard first.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the fault of white male America, because if we weren't so racist and sexist, we would pay WNBA stars enough money that they don't have to moonlight in Russia, and then none of this would have ever happened.
I think we've covered this previously but the percentages of salaries in the WNBA compared to revenue of the WNBA are exactly the same as the NBA.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
International women's basketball is not far from fantasy sports for oligarchs and the rich.

Not many are run as a business to make money. They are used as a competition between owners to see if they can win a title over their peers. It's a fun game to them and the losses really don't matter

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we've covered this previously but the percentages of salaries in the WNBA compared to revenue of the WNBA are exactly the same as the NBA.

Except the WNBA isn't profitable and subsidized by the NBA. If it weren't there wouldn't be a league, at least not the size it is now.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No American should rot in a foreign prison for a petty crime regardless of political opinions.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No American should rot in a foreign prison for a petty crime regardless of political opinions.

I think Griner's sentence is severe but it is in line with how Russians deal with marijuana. It's a petty crime in the US now but it wasn't 20-30 years ago and there are still people in prison across the US for marijuana because it's still illegal nationally. So classifying her offense as "petty" is really debatable since it's legal in Arizona but not Indiana, for example. However I think sentencing anyone anywhere to 8 years in prison for possession of a natural substance like marijuana is insanity. That goes for Russian or American citizens.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose