Good article on our last drafts

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Cardinals Draft History, or, why we all get nervous this time of year
Friday, March 9, 2007 at 11:34PM
Eli Wahlstrom
As an almost 20 year Arizona Cardinals fan I always look forward to each NFL draft with hope but also a sense of dread. Each year it seems as if the draft brings nothing but frustration and missed opportunities either through bad trades, horrible scouting or just basically choke jobs by the guys making the final call. As fan’s Eli and I want only the best, but it seems most years all we can do is look back at horrible draft after horrible draft as the reason the Cardinals have never put together a team capable of contending. Lets face it, doesn’t watching Brian Urlacher, the guy they should have drafted, and Thomas Jones, the guy they did draft that year playing for the Bears make you sick?
While we hope for the best this year, I’d like to look at the first three rounds of the last 10 drafts to illustrate just how many mistakes were made, but also with the sense that the last few years it does look like it’s getting better. Yes there is hope, but keep in mind these last 10 drafts should be the core of the current football team.

1997 draft. Total picks, 8, number still with the team, 0. Number still in NFL, 0, as Plummer just retired. This was the classic draft of reaching for need instead of taking the best player, a constant trend.

1st round, 9th pick, Tommy Knight-CB. The Cardinals needed a corner opposite Aeneas Williams so they reached for Knight and left Tony Gonzales on the board for KC 4 picks later. A horrible pick at the time that only got worse.

2nd round, Jake Plummer, QB. A great value pick for a guy that was the face of the franchise and probably got the new stadium built with his win over Dallas. However, released with no compensation.

3rd round, Ty Howard, CB. Another need pick. Barely saw the field, but on the board right after him were Bertrand Berry, Mike Vrabel and Derrick Rodgers.

1998. This draft haunts the Cardinals to this day for what might have been as well at the loss of Pat Tillman who was a 7th round pick. 10 total picks, 0 still Cardinals, 2 still in the NFL.
1st round, 3rd pick, Andre Wadsworth, DE. I remember being thrilled they got this guy and thinking we had the best draft since I’d followed the team. He held out until the day of the first game, played out of shape, hurt his knee, tried to play through it and was never the same player again. A total waste of a great player and good guy.

2nd round, Corey Chavous, CB. A good career at Safety, but of course the Cardinals played him at corner, where his lack of top end speed was always exposed. Great character guy and a good player who was allowed to leave and have success in Minnesota.

2nd round, Anthony Clement, OT. Still hanging around in the league, a huge guy who could never translate his size into real football skill. The beginning of a string of over paid OL that never panned out. Players taken immediately after Chavous and Clement were Flozell Adams, Sam Cowert, Jeremy Newberry, Olin Kreutz.

1999. A totally wasted draft. 11 total picks, 0 still with the Cardinals, 1 still in the NFL.
1st round, David Boston, WR. Mr. HGH and other substances and was suspended under the league’s testing program. Became so huge it seemed like it literally tore up his body and led to a string of chronic injuries. Had one great season but was allowed to walk the same year Plummer left for Denver for no compensation. Out of the league as far as I know and a waste of great talent. Chris McAllister, John Tait, Jevon Kearse were all on the board in what was a historically great draft.

1st round, L.J. Shelton, OL. Another classic hold out, showing up 4 games into the season. Overrated, under motivated and despite great talent never became the fixture at left tackle the Cardinals were searching for. Left on the board were Patrick Kearney and Al Wilson.

2nd round, Johnny Rutledge, OLB. Johnny, we hardly new ye. My god did this guy ever even see the field? Undersized, average speed and never grasped the pro game. Out of the league. Immediately behind him on the board, Solomon Page and Randy Thomas.

3rd round, Thomas Burke, DE. Undersized, slow and remembered best for running down the field on a kick off once with out his helmet that had been ripped off. Out of the league. On the board right after him? Chike Okeafor.

2000. I’ll never get over this draft as we passed on Urlacher to take Jones. A domino effect that is still felt now. It sums up futility and wasted opportunity. Number of players still with the team today, ZERO. Total picks, 7, only two still in the league.

1st pick, 7th over all. Thomas Jones, RB. The team already had Michael Pittman but felt it needed a feature back. They had targeted Jamal Lewis, but he went two picks earlier to Baltimore. So, instead of taking Brian Urlacher, they reached for Jones who had a horrible career with the Cardinals and was released after mysteriously breaking his hand reaching for a phone. Also on the board, Bubba Franks and of course, Shawn Alexander, the guy deemed too slow but did nothing but score touchdowns at Alabama. God this pick still kills me. The bastards.

2nd round, Raynoch Thompson, OLB. A very good college linebacker that was way too light, ran afoul of the substance abuse program and was cut by Denny Green after Dave McGinnis and Rod Graves for some reason extended his contract. Had almost no impact. Left on the board, Kenoy Kennedy, Deon Grant.

3rd round, Darwin Walker, DT. This one is filed under, Joe Green was a great player and horrible line coach. He recommend that Walker be cut in camp due to a bad attitude. He was, and he is a stud for the Eagles ever since. Good for Walker, bad for the Cardinals.
2001. The Leonard Davis Draft. Also known as McGinnis wanted LaDainian Tomlinson, but as we all know, we already had Thomas (broken hand) Jones so we didn’t need LT. Players still with the team, 1. 10 total draft picks, 5 still in the NFL.

1st round, 2nd over all, Leonard Davis, OT. As we all know, Leonard is now in wearing the Cowboy star. A guy of massive size, strength and ability who was drafted way too high and if had been a late first round pick as a guard would still be with the team. He was paid left tackle money, he isn’t a left tackle. We all know the story. Left on the board, LT, Richard Seymour, Dan Morgan, Marcus Stroud, Steve Hutchinson, Jeff Backus, Nate Clements, Deuce McAllister. It’s sickening.

2nd round, Kyle Vandenbosch. DE. A great value pick who had a string of really bad injuries. Of course was released and is now an All-Pro and team leader for the Titans. Available right behind him? Algee Crumpler. The passed over TE’s by the Cardinals reads like a who’s who over the years.

2nd round, Michael Stone, SS. This was compensation for Aneasas Williams begging to leave for the Rams. Hung around for reasons no one can explain but is now out of the league as best I can tell. Too slow, couldn’t cover, couldn’t tackle. Taken right after him, the guy I was dying to get, Shaun Rodgers of Texas.

3rd round, Adrian Wilson, SS. Finally, a guy still wearing a Cardinals uniform. All-Pro, a total stud and thank god they still have him. One of the main reasons I keep season tickets is watching him play.
2002. The draft that gave us quite possibly the biggest bust in Cardinals 1st round history, Wendall Bryant. Players from this draft still on the team, 0. A total of 8 picks this year, only 2 of which are still playing in the NFL.

1st round, 12th pick, Wendall Bryant, DT. This pick was bizarre from the very start. He did next to nothing in college, he showed no passion for the game, talked about wanting to be a stock broker, and held out for the first 5 games of the season. If he ever made a tackle or a sack I sure missed it. Another guy with substance issues who is out of the league after three years. Players passed over, because the Cardinals needed to get a tackle so they again reached for a guy who was out of his league were Jeremy Shockey, Albert Hayenworth, Daniel Graham, Ed Reed, T. J. Duckett.

2nd round, Levar Fisher, OLB. Another undersized linebacker who had knee issues in college but the Cardinal’s felt was worth the risk. Out of the league in two years. Players passed over, Clinton Portis, Randall El and Ryan Denney.

3rd round, Josh McCown, QB. A guy on no one’s radar until he volunteered to do a lot of extra work at the combine throwing to receiver groups. A wonderful guy, good athlete but a guy who exhibited the worst field vision I ever saw. I’ll never forget his last year with Boldin jumping up and down on one play wide open and McCown rifling a pick on the other side into triple coverage. Last heard to be playing receiver for the Lions. Players by passed, Brian Westbrook.

3rd round, Dennis Johnson, DE. A slow, less then motivated DE from Kentucky, that noted football factory. Out of the league. By passed Alex Brown to pick this stud.

2003 draft. Also known as the Terrell Suggs could have been a Cardinal draft. Players still on the team from this draft, 5 . Total picks, 7, with 6 still in the NFL. Actually a draft saved by getting Boldin, but will be forever remembered for trading out of the 6th slot and passing on the sack machine from ASU, Terrell Suggs who won Defensive Rookie of the year that season.

1st round, 17th pick. Bryant Johnson, WR. Even when he was picked people thought he was at least 20 slots high for this slot. Came out of a non-passing school, Penn St and has struggled with dropped passes every year. Last year was his best season by far and he is a very good third receiver and an asset, but will never be a number one receiver.

1st round, 18th pick. Calvin Pace, DE. I remember shutting off the TV when he was picked. Nice guy, ok skills but most had him as a 3rd round pick at best, and the 10th or 12th best DE on the board that year. Forced to play as a rookie, got one sack and just killed on the run. Trying to rebuild his career as a strong side OLB. Players passed over for these two include, Dallas Clark, Larry Johnson, Troy Polamalu, Byron Leftwich and Eric Steinbach.

2nd round. Anquan Boldin, WR. Quite possibly one of the greatest picks in Cardinals history and on pace for the hall of fame. If you don’t love Boldin, you don’t love football.

3rd round, Gerald Hayes, MLB. Has turned into a good, but not yet great, middle linebacker. A solid pick for his position, although they by passed Derrick Dockery, Chris Simms and Nate Burleson.

2004 draft. Denny Green’s first draft, and one that looked good at first but that is starting to show some holes with Stepanovich and Narrave being released. Total still on the team, 5 so definitely not a disaster. 7 total picks, all still playing so far.

1st round, 3rd Pick, Larry Fitzgerald, WR. A total stud that should only get better and better working with Leinart. A great pick.

2nd round, Karlos Dansby, OLB. A top quality linebacker and impact player. When he was out last season the drop off on defense was huge. I don’t know about the rumors about him not wanting to play hurt or his attitude, all I see is a killer out there when he is healthy. Hopefully they lock him up long term.

3rd round. Darnell Dockett, DT. A really good DT who plays hard, plays hurt and is a key element. Needs a good run stuffer next to him but i’m glad they locked him up. None of the three players had anyone behind them drafted that should have gone ahead of them, which is the sign of a really solid draft, not missing on guys or picking average talent too early.

2005 draft. This one has some shaky elements that hopefully the new coaches can fix up and coach up. Players still on the team, 6, but Elton Brown is probably history with the new staff. 7 total picks, 6 still in the NFL.
1st round, 8th pick, Antrel Rolle, CB. I still have hopes for Rolle at corner but the first two years make you very nervous for a guy picked this high. Might be best suited for safety or a cover 2 defense, but lets give it one more year. I love his tackling ability and toughness. Passed on Demarcus Ware, Shawne Marriman, Derrick Johnson and Logan Mankins.

2nd round, J.J. Arrington, RB. Took a vicious hit from Roy Williams in a pre-season game and has never looked like a confident back since then. Looks like a major bust but lets see the new staff give him a chance. Lofa Tatupu was taken the pick right after him.

3rd round, Eric Green, CB. I like Green and think he has gotten horrible coaching on his technique. I’m praying the new staff gets his potential out of him as he looks like an NFL corner.

3rd round, Darryl Blackstock. OLB. An early entry into the draft with great speed who has failed to develop into a starter on a team dying for a weak side linebacker. Could be cut this year if they draft anyone that can even remotely play the position.

2006 draft, also known as the “gift from heaven” draft that dropped Matt Leinart to the Cardinals. Total players still on the team, 7. No outright busts in the first year and if Leinart turns out to be what he should be, will make the draft all by himself.

1st round, 10th pick, Matt Leinart, QB. Jury is still out but he sure looks like a franchise QB. A total stroke of good fortune that he was there and clearly the best player available at that slot.

2nd round, Deuce Lutui, OG. A total stud at guard who should be a ten year fixture, although I was praying they would take Marcus MacNeil who is about to become a 7 year pro bowl left tackle playing for San Diego. Still a very good pick and guy who loves being a Cardinal.

3rd round, Leonard Pope, TE. Finally, a tight end after passing on Tony Gonzales, Todd Heap, Jeremy Shocky, Dallas Clark and Algee Crumpler over the years. He should be a total stud and came out as a junior. He’s the only tight end on the roster so he better produce now.

Ok, there you have it. 10 drafts, 82 total selections, of that total 24 still playing for the Cardinals and 38 still in the NFL. If you look at the numbers from draft 1997 to draft 2002 the Cardinals had 54 picks, and have ONE player from 6 drafts still on the team, and 12 still in the NFL. In five of the drafts not one single player is still on the Cardinals roster. For you non-math majors that is a 1.8% success rate as far as the Cardinals retaining their draft picks, and 22% success rate in picking NFL players. I challenge anyone to find any team in the NFL with a comparable record for futility in drafting.

However, there is reason for hope as the last four drafts have shown a major improvement, and for you Rod Graves bashers, those four are essentially his drafts although Denny Green had a lot of input, as i’m sure will Coach Whisenhunt. The last four drafts have 28 total picks, 23 still with the team and 26 still in the NFL. A dramatic improvement, although those numbers will decline each year with injuries and cuts trimming the numbers.

If you want to know why things never change, just look at this draft history, and if you want it to change pray for some drafts that pick up the best player regardless of position at all times, every time. If the past shows us anything it is you almost always make a huge mistake drafting for need and picking guys before they are really deserving. Remember this, the Cardinals could very easily have Terrell Suggs at DE, Ladamian Tomlinson at RB, Brian Urlacher at MLB, Tony Gonzales at TE, Olin Kreutz at Center, Chris McAllister at CB and Ed Reed at safety. Reads like the Pro-Bowl but those were all players passed over specifically because the Cardinals reached for players at positions of need either in the draft or a draft immediately prior to the one where these players could have been selected.

So, hold your breath this year when the number 5 pick is announced and pray it’s another Adrian Wilson, Anquan Boldin or Matt Leinart and not Wendall Bryant, Tom Knight or LJ Shelton.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Great article and why I'd just say no to Levi Brown at number 5, I have a hard time believing just because we need a LT that would be a good pick there, quite the opposite IMO.

I'm not a draftnik at all I just hope Rod Graves is now.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Great article and why I'd just say no to Levi Brown at number 5, I have a hard time believing just because we need a LT that would be a good pick there, quite the opposite IMO.

I'm not a draftnik at all I just hope Rod Graves is now.

I think the consensus on this board has been, "Trade Down, for Levi Brown".

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I remember that 2002 draft. I was LIVID with the trade down AND the selection of Pace. :(

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st round, 10th pick, Matt Leinart, QB. Jury is still out but he sure looks like a franchise QB. A total stroke of good fortune that he was there and clearly the best player available at that slot.

Who says the jury is still out on Leinart? Every expert that I have read/heard has said the opposite.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief, those drafts were horrible before 2004!!!

Yep. This draft could go a long way into showing Graves' worth. He has to come out the gate firing this year, to prove that the last 3 drafts, were not Green's drafts alone.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
The 2000 draft is the one that hurt bad. Serveral of my friends and I get together each year for draft day. The one and only player I wanted was Urlacker. I remember yelling, "take Urlacker, take Urlacker"!!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at the numbers from draft 1997 to draft 2002 the Cardinals had 54 picks, and have ONE player from 6 drafts still on the team, and 12 still in the NFL. In five of the drafts not one single player is still on the Cardinals roster. For you non-math majors that is a 1.8% success rate as far as the Cardinals retaining their draft picks, and 22% success rate in picking NFL players.

I challenge anyone to find any team in the NFL with a comparable record for futility in drafting.

Very sad my friend ...

Now lets see what this year brings ... I am always hoping for the best ..

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the last 3 drafts have been pretty good. I wonder how it would look with any other NFL team if you applied the same criteria?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2000 draft is the one that hurt bad. Serveral of my friends and I get together each year for draft day. The one and only player I wanted was Urlacker. I remember yelling, "take Urlacker, take Urlacker"!!

Me too - I wanted us to take Urlacher - was P.O.d we didn't.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think the last 3 drafts have been pretty good. I wonder how it would look with any other NFL team if you applied the same criteria?

Go look at the Colts draft history. What they have done is amazing.

21 of 22 starters last year were drafted by the Colts. I think they had either 9 or 11 starters that were drafted before 2003.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where was this originally posted?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Green vs. Graves

Does RG "pull the trigger on the Draft picks"? People have given Dennis Green credit/blame for the past few drafts, but I'm not sure who has made the final decision. I know the coach has a LOT of input but who makes the call? Does the "GM" and scouts line up against the HC and his staff, or is there general agreement going into the War Room on Draft Day? And who (how many) sits in the War Room? Very curious.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Looking at this draft write-up, I see several examples where drafting for need cost the team.

T.Knight/Ty Howard CB need picks...

Thomas Jones seems like a pick for need as the Front Office identified that they wanted to upgrade RB "no matter what". Then reached for Jones after J.Lewis was taken.

BJ/Pace were most definetly need picks as the year before they had no WRs of note on the roster.

JJ Arrington seems like a need pick also as the Cards needed to have a RB.

All these picks point out how important free agency is. If you at least have your roster patched up with acceptable free agents, then you can draft BPA and really improve your team.

This year, it sure looks as the Cards are forced to pick for need and get OL, LB and possible a FB, & blocking TE. If the Cards make 4 need picks, I think they will leave a lot of good players on the board. The team will probably look back and see a lot of mistakes.

I think the Cards poor showing in free agency this year will make this years draft one of the worst Cardinal drafts every as they will make many reaches to fill needs.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This aritcle is good in some areas but extremely far off in others. I am not concerned with having players that we drafted in '97. I am glad we dont have any of them. This is football, not golf. Having a bunch of 10 year vets isn't looked at as a good thing. There were 240 players drafted and I would be shocked if more than 20 or 30 were still playing.

Looking back through this paper I noticed that in many cases Bidwill's cheapness was the problem. Our first round selection has held out in 6 of the last ten years. That is a problem that must stop. Last year I felt the Birds were being fair to Leinart, so I hopefully things are changing.

I would love to disect each pick, but I dont have the energy right now, so I will leave you with this. I looked into Oakland's draft history since 97 and they have 32 players that they drafted still being in the nfl. From '97-'02 they have 7 players still in the game and four remain Raiders. That was the first team I looked up and we have almost twice as many players still in the game as them. I'm sure that there are many others with less than us. I am not saying that we are good drafters historically, just that we are not that much worse than many other teams.

IMO our shortcoming has been one thing and one thing only. Bidwill stopped caring whether we won or lost when he moved the team to the desert in 88-89. Lately he has been spending, so who knows. Mayber he wants to see a super Bbowl before he dies. Personally, I think that we will get one as soon as he passes.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I'm depressed reading about our past failures. Hopefully, we are working our way up to making better selections on our picks. Another thing, how many times have we let a player walk with no compensation because some coach wanted to make an example of him? That gets old, very old, also.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to ESPN, over the last 5 years we have drafted better than 26 of the 31 teams. We only lost out to Detroit, Houston, New Orleans, Oakland and San Diego.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
According to ESPN, over the last 5 years we have drafted better than 26 of the 31 teams. We only lost out to Detroit, Houston, New Orleans, Oakland and San Diego.

How did they do their rating? Indy has like at least half their starters drafted in the last 5 years maybe more. Also you have to wonder how accurate their measurements are when Houston, Detroit, Oakland and Arizona all have stunk it up royally over last the few years and New Orleans was terrible until this season.

Did you list that backwards with those franchises being the worst over the last 5 years? :D

Last edited:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I am too lazy to check, but my gut tells me the results would be very similar. The draft is not a science, it is more of an art. Anything can happen and it usually does. Just for fun, pick three guys who you think can't miss and better chance than not, two of them will not turn out to be worthy.

A fine post and excellent research presented in a non-emotional styel

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How did they do their rating? Indy has like at least half their starters drafted in the last 5 years maybe more. Also you have to wonder how accurate their measurements are when Houston, Detroit, Oakland and Arizona all have stunk it up royally over last the few years and New Orleans was terrible until this season.

Did you list that backwards with those franchises being the worst over the last 5 years? :D
That was a surprise to me too. Especially since N.O. brought in players via FA last year. Those weren't their draftees that brought success.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson