• Give him the Max

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Let him walk.

Votes: 61 70.1%

• Total voters

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Let's say that sign and trade option fails.
Do you sign Amare to a six-year, $130M deal or do you let him walk?

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
hooray for being in the minority!!!

Go Devils

Rookie
Reaction score
If he signs for 5 he will miss at least 2.

They were talking on a morning show about how the team would miss him? Im sure we can get someone to play PF. The Suns went just as far without him a few years ago.

I truley do not think he will get the offers he thinks he will, Like Hudson w/Dbacks you can over value themsleves.

Amare is really a small forward in a PF body. I will give him creditm he is a good finisher on the offensive end but has recently had trouble with bigs since the surgery.

I am OK with someone like Boozer for less and get more rebounding and D.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Those aren't the only options. Stoudemire can still re-sign with the Suns if he opts out and doesn't like the alternatives. My guess is that the Suns will come up with their Best Offer and then leave it on the table for as long as he wants.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Those aren't the only options. Stoudemire can still re-sign with the Suns if he opts out and doesn't like the alternatives. My guess is that the Suns will come up with their Best Offer and then leave it on the table for as long as he wants.

That sounds about right from a PR standpoint. Whatever the Suns do they're going to try and make it seem like they did everything possible and it just didn't work out.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Give him what he wants, for goodness' sake. It's not MY money. Some people talk like rebuilding is easy and is a cinch to work. Eh, no. This unit is a crab-dribble away from making the Finals.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Give him what he wants, for goodness' sake. It's not MY money. Some people talk like rebuilding is easy and is a cinch to work. Eh, no. This unit was a crab-dribble away from making the Finals.

FTFY

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
130 Million for 6 years... and he'd only be a "star" for 2 years out of that 6.... he'd be making 26 Million dollars on his final year playing 20 mins off the bench because his knees cant handle it..... not to mention he'd be no way near as explosive or athletic... actually that will happen as soon as 2 years from now.

If I was Kerr...

Once Stoudemire opts out... leave an offer of 3 year 50 Million.... front loaded contract. Take it or leave it..

he signs with another team... then its a blessing in disguise... Suns can sign another FA star once Nash retires... and rebuild cleanly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right from a PR standpoint. Whatever the Suns do they're going to try and make it seem like they did everything possible and it just didn't work out.

I'm not sure why doing the logical thing would be the PR stunt you make it out to be. Also, it would pretty much require the dumbest businessman on the planet to not try and spin this situation publicly.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm not sure why doing the logical thing would be the PR stunt you make it out to be. Also, it would pretty much require the dumbest businessman on the planet to not try and spin this situation publicly.

Steve

You read my post backwards or something. I'm saying the same thing you are.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You read my post backwards or something. I'm saying the same thing you are.

Well, sorry if I misinterpreted your point. BTW, I went back and read your post backwards and it didn't make any sense at all.:)

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it'll be painful next year and the probably for the next couple without Amare but no more painful than watching him continually underachieve, especially when the lights are shining brightest. I just hope that if he leaves, we don't compound his departure by making a Googs type move. If he's gone, the run's over. Rebuild and rebuild right. Get in the lotto, clear cap space and hope for the best.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Three of those years would probably be without Nash. How many easy buckets does Nash get him per game? No way would I give him the max.

Replace him with a PF with more D and less offense that likes to rebound.

I personally would like to see Nash get more shots, but I'm not sure how they could do that. Maybe play Dragic more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's gone, the run's over. Rebuild and rebuild right.

Agreed. Sometime between summer and the trade deadline I'd move every player over 26 that sparked interest elsewhere. We probably need to keep Barbosa until the mid-season though as this past year probably destroyed any market value.

I'd let Nash pick a few destinations and try to part ways as amicably as possible. Also, I'd probably let Grant determine whether he stayed or not. If he decides to stay he'd be a nice role model for the young players next season and he's at a reasonable price.

Steve

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Agreed. Sometime between summer and the trade deadline I'd move every player over 26 that sparked interest elsewhere. We probably need to keep Barbosa until the mid-season though as this past year probably destroyed any market value.

I'd let Nash pick a few destinations and try to part ways as amicably as possible. Also, I'd probably let Grant determine whether he stayed or not. If he decides to stay he'd be a nice role model for the young players next season and he's at a reasonable price.

Steve

We finished 2nd in the West. One rebound from going to OT and possibly going up 3-2 in the WCFs.

IMHO, now is not the time to rebuild.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We finished 2nd in the West. One rebound from going to OT and possibly going up 3-2 in the WCFs.

it is if you lose your second best player, you don't have salary cap room to make a splash to replace him and 2/5s of your starting lineup is over 36 years old.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly. It still baffles me when fans say rebuild after you get to WCF. How many teams have done that? They did not rebuild when they mised playoffs, previous season and they wont do it after just one season with Gentry and almost MADE the finals.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Exactly. It still baffles me when fans say rebuild after you get to WCF. How many teams have done that? They did not rebuild when they mised playoffs, previous season and they wont do it after just one season with Gentry and almost MADE the finals.

If we sign-and-trade, then we can say we're not rebuilding. But if we let Amare walk with nothing in return, do you honestly think we shouldn't rebuild?

For all his faults, Amare was the main reason we got the 3rd seed in the playoffs. He simply isn't worth a max contract. Period. 5/75, sure, but not the max.

Letting Amare walk means we're going to rebuild. Signing him or signing-and-trading him means we are not going to rebuild. That's it.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Best case is, Stoudemire walks out, accepts Miami Heat's offer of 5 year 90 Million.

Suns convince Lee to sign for 9 Million a year

Or do that Houston Rockets deal I proposed at RealGM :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what don't get get here? IF they lose Amare for nothing (which looks very likely), this WON'T be the team that made the WCFs. No one's saying rebuild if Amare resigns here. Rebuilding is predicated on him leaving because then we won't be the team that just got to the WCFs. They'll be an incredibly odd mix of REALLY old players and really young role players. That's a team going nowhere FAST.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we sign-and-trade, then we can say we're not rebuilding. But if we let Amare walk with nothing in return, do you honestly think we shouldn't rebuild?

For all his faults, Amare was the main reason we got the 3rd seed in the playoffs. He simply isn't worth a max contract. Period. 5/75, sure, but not the max.

Letting Amare walk means we're going to rebuild. Signing him or signing-and-trading him means we are not going to rebuild. That's it.

what don't get get here? IF they lose Amare for nothing (which looks very likely), this WON'T be the team that made the WCFs. No one's saying rebuild if Amare resigns here. Rebuilding is predicated on him leaving because then we won't be the team that just got to the WCFs. They'll be an incredibly odd mix of REALLY old players and really young role players. That's a team going nowhere FAST.

Of course if Amare goes, rebuild is probably the most viable option, but i can also see the FO thinking maybe they can try to replace some of his offense while improving on his defensive lapses with new signings. As much as i think this team will struggle if Amare goes, there may be other options that would allow it remain competitive. I guess we will have to see what happens with Amare and the FA this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course if Amare goes, rebuild is probably the most viable option,

then why did you agree with Bada that what we were saying was "baffling". The above is pretty much all we've been saying.

but i can also see the FO thinking maybe they can try to replace some of his offense while improving on his defensive lapses with new signings. As much as i think this team will struggle if Amare goes, there may be other options that would allow it remain competitive. I guess we will have to see what happens with Amare and the FA this year.

If we had significant cap room if Amare walked, I could see this as well, but unless we're able to get someone to take Barbs' relatively worthless ass off our hands, I don't see how doing the above will be possible.

but yes, it's a big waiting game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison