Giants feel Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins "doesn't fit" with the team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Did you know that Russell Wilson got knocked out of his first start in college against South Carolina?

He's certainly been pretty durable since then.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah this is what I saw. Murray flat out avoids contact. You don't see him try to run through contact, he gets down or out of bounds. Never seen anything like it; he's better at it than Russell Wilson.

The last guy that I remember that avoided contact as well as Murray was Fran Tarkenton. Some on this board are too young to remember him, but most of us do. He was listed at 6', but everyone knew he wasn't. He spent 18 years in the NFL, and at the time of his retirement, Tarkenton owned every major QB record. He was inducted into both the Pro Football HOF and the College Football HOF. He spent 13 seasons with the Vikings, but did squeeze 5 years in with the NYG in the middle of his career. Since the Giants & Cardinals were in the same division, I just remember us chasing that dude all over the field & he consistently stuck it in our ears. In 1970, he torched us twice & was the main reason why we didn't win the NFC East. He came to St. Louis in week 13, with the division title on the line. The Cardinals D had 3 straight shutouts that year & we were renowned for our red dog blitzes. The Giants beat us earlier in the year in NY, but I remember Larry Wilson promising that we would make Tarkenton pay at home. It never did happen. Tarkenton avoided every blitz & they trounced us 34-17. Charley Winner got fired & the Cardinals sucked until Coryell got there a few years later. Tarkenton was special even with an average arm. Murray reminds me of Tarkenton, only he's much faster & has a much quicker release & stronger arm.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The last guy that I remember that avoided contact as well as Murray was Fran Tarkenton. Some on this board are too young to remember him, but most of us do. He was listed at 6', but everyone knew he wasn't. He spent 18 years in the NFL, and at the time of his retirement, Tarkenton owned every major QB record. He was inducted into both the Pro Football HOF and the College Football HOF. He spent 13 seasons with the Vikings, but did squeeze 5 years in with the NYG in the middle of his career. Since the Giants & Cardinals were in the same division, I just remember us chasing that dude all over the field & he consistently stuck it in our ears. In 1970, he torched us twice & was the main reason why we didn't win the NFC East. He came to St. Louis in week 13, with the division title on the line. The Cardinals D had 3 straight shutouts that year & we were renowned for our red dog blitzes. The Giants beat us earlier in the year in NY, but I remember Larry Wilson promising that we would make Tarkenton pay at home. It never did happen. Tarkenton avoided every blitz & they trounced us 34-17. Charley Winner got fired & the Cardinals sucked until Coryell got there a few years later. Tarkenton was special even with an average arm. Murray reminds me of Tarkenton, only he's much faster & has a much quicker release & stronger arm.

I remember Tarkenton well.The fact that he retired 40 years ago and didn`t play against the faster bigger stronger quicker players of today .tarkento drove Norm Van Brocklin crazy with his scrambing tactics.NVB was a future HOF pocket QB so he knew something about QB play.The best line I ever heard about Tarkenton was "when I chase him and miss I don`t get discouraged because I know he will be back here in a minute".Don`t remember who said it .Different era of football.Didn`t have 250 lbs Linebacker who are fast or 280 -300 LB dLinemen who chase you down.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some mocks and rankers are based on what writer feels the teams are thinking. Others base them on what they think the teams should do. Actual results often fail to be the same as the predictions because trades blow up the best of plans.

These are not mocks.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
RG3, Taylor, and Vick looked for contact as opposed to learning to slide & avoiding it. If you watch Murray, there's never been a QB that is better at avoiding hits. Many of the hits that RG3 & Vick took were avoidable, in addition to being hits that are no longer condoned in today's NFL.
Dude. You think they really "looked for contact?" What football were you watching? Cam Newton looks for contact, because he can bury people. RG3 sometimes went out for the big play, but he wasn't "looking for contact."

Your boy isn't going to outrun and outjuke every 10X more athletic guy with 50+ lbs on him on the field. I swear you have to be trolling, or not really understand football.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So based on what will he be more accurate than Bree's,more elusive than Wilson?All you offer is more hype based on college highlights in a poor defensive conference and you think he will just kick the leagues ass with little or no trouble.I find that bordering on blind hope not based on reality.
Look at the Alabama and Texas games. This man has Wilson intangibles. A competitive spirit and never say die attitude. WHen his team is down, he rallied the troops to come back. His defense let him down. He does have that "it" factor to rally the team and get them to come back. He has that Wilson factor to play better as the game goes on. But hes more athletic and has a better arm. Man, i want this guy on my team.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Cam gets injured (who is 10x the size of Murray), then you can safely assume that KM stands no chance...especially with his frame. He's basically the size of John Brown, so good luck staying on the field.
LOL two different styles of qb's. Cam uses his body to gain yards. He thinks he can eat tackles. Cam is more of a running qb than Murray because its a part of his game. Murray is more like Wilson, a smart runner. Runs when he has too. But he keeps his head up and looks for a receiver. And Wilson starts EVERY SINGLE GAME since his rookie year. So yeah, diminutive Russ never gets hurts. Bigg ass Cam gets hurt because hes way more physical and not a smart runner like Murray and WIlson.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How this turn into a Kyler thread

Probably because at this juncture in time, there is no more important discussion than the QB discussion. If we don't select Murray, I'm sure the Cardinal franchise will manage to survive. But, whoever does draft him will forever thank us & laugh at us for years to come.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably because at this juncture in time, there is no more important discussion than the QB discussion. If we don't select Murray, I'm sure the Cardinal franchise will manage to survive. But, whoever does draft him will forever thank us & laugh at us for years to come.

Yes, yes - for decades, eons to come, Cards fans will decry the day in April 2019 when the scions of stupidity passed on the Mighty Mite!

Derision, woe and pestilence is our fate!

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
In case of us picking Murray 1st overall, the sooner Haskins goes off the board the better for us. Argument could be made for Haskins to be a better prospect than Rosen (which I don't think btw), but Lock and Jones are without a doubt well below Rosen as prospects. I'm looking at Miami, Washington and the Giants who pick at 13, 15 and 17. If we draft Murray and are able to pick in the mid 1st again by trading Rosen, Keim has done everything right. I just see no way around Murray if he grades out higher than Rosen did last year, considering Rosen couldn't do anything to boost his value.

As for the running QB discussion. Murray plays extremely smart. I hate Russell Wilson because he is torching us regularly, but I love his ability to create something out of nothing while suffering even less hits than your a prototype pocket passer. Just like Murray, Wilson knows when and how to slide, and uses angles to his advantage. I hate cliche comparisons, but Murray is pretty much Wilson 2.0. Probably even more athletic, while still being an accurate passer who looks to pass first, and that uncanny feel for moving both inside and outside of the pocket. How many times I wished we could just crush Wilson, put some heavy hits on him. It's just not possible. Even with some of the great defenses we've had over the years, we just couldn't totally stop Russell Wilson. Even when we contained him very well, he found ways to win or at least to keep the game close. Even when we made him run for his life, I can't remember many big hits on him. That's just the way he moves. And the way Murray moves. This has nothing to do with Vick, Kaep or RGIII. Murray's game, just like Wilson's, is more about accuracy and smartness than their great athletic ability. They will use it to create something, but not to the degree where they put themselves into high risk.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I personally feel like Haskins is a better version of Rosen.

More accurate and explosive throwing downfield. But not as cerebral as JR.

With that in mind..... If we decide to trade back and not draft KM. I would hope we would stick with JR.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
And if Rosen and Bosa/Williams do well, It’ll be water under the bridge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn