Gandhi mock draft version 1.0

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At another message board, I was participating in a mock draft where each team had a general manager drafting for them. I was, naturally, in charge of the Cardinals.

The play started nearly a month ago, but the only thing that has changed are my thought on some players, and I didn’t select any of them so it’s not really relevant, and to some extent what I think would be the best way to upgrade the Cardinals.

My thought process going into the mock draft was that

• I would like to select an offensive tackle, a rush linebacker, a safety, a tight end, a cornerback, a fast wide receiver as well as upgrading both the offensive and defensive lines as a whole.

• I would like to take a quarterback but I think the Cardinals has the best chance of winning with Palmer next season, so I would rather give him as much help as possible and thus I wasn’t going to draft a quarterback in the higher rounds.

• I wasn’t going to target any specific position in either rounds, since I don’t believe in that strategy, but obviously I was leaning to certain positions with each pick (for example, if I had an inside linebacker rated higher than a cornerback I would take the cornerback).

• Free agency did not factor in on my decisions at all.
1. Calvin Pryor, safety, Louisville

I would have liked to trade back with this pick, given how the round developed, but was unable to get the value I wanted.

Initially, I drafted offensive guard, David Yankey, with this pick. I think he is such a good and athletic run blocker that would fit right in at right guard. I know Fanaika got an extension in-season, that they are probably high on Watford and I assume they signed Christian Johnson for a reason (and Colledge is somewhat of an mysterious situation), but I also thought that none of those things would equal the upgrade Yankey would give the team. Yankey played left tackle as a freshman so he has added value in that regard, as he can probably still play tackle in a pinch. When I made the pick I was in serious doubt if I should select Yankey or Pryor, as I rate them almost equally, but because Yankey was the best offensive lineman on my board, he ended up being the pick. Green Bay selected Pryor with the next selection.

By the time we reached the 5th round I still haven’t been able to select a safety. I simply could not find the right value with any of my three previous picks. Green Bay was in the exact same situation, only with an offensive guard being their issue, so I was able to make a trade with them where I got Calvin Pryor and they got David Yankey. In theory, I could have asked for one or two additional picks since I was technically moving down a spot in the first round, but we didn’t even discuss it since both of us realized we should have picked to other player in the first round and thus were very satisfied with the trade.

Calvin Pryor reminds me of Eric Reid coming out of LSU. He is fast, physical and very good in run support but he can also cover the deep zones as a ballhawk. I don’t know if he can cover tight ends but he is big enough and has good enough cover skills to at least be better than Bell at it, and eventually Pryor might develop the skill if he doesn’t already possess them. I think he can start as a rookie and make a rather big different in the secondary.

2. Marcus Smith, outside linebacker, Louisville

To me, this was the easiest pick of them all. I would have been happy with a fast rush linebacker so I didn’t think about making a trade up to secure Smith, but neither did I hesitate for one second when he was available at this spot. I think he is nearly the ideal 3-4 outside linebacker, and that he could be a huge asset to this defense. He is at his best when he rushes from the outside with great speed, ability to both turn the corner and rushing between the tackle and guard, an above average bull rush, good use of his hands and proper technique in almost every aspect. However, he’s also able to rush from the middle and he is very good at dropping into coverage. I have seen him lined up at outside linebacker, inside linebacker, defensive end, defensive tackle and even as nickelback this previous season, and though he wasn’t equally good at every positions it does show his versatility and in how many ways Todd Bowles can utilize him. He never has to come off the field as he can play outside linebacker in base defense and move to either a more traditional rush defensive end or strongside linebacker in nickel defense.

I highly doubt that any team has Smith ranked below the 2nd round, and it wouldn’t shock me at all if some has him rated as at least a fringe 1st rounder. As well as Calvin Pryor, I think Smith can contribute right away, and in time be a very good starter.

3. James Hurst, offensive tackle, North Carolina

This was the only time where I felt a bit pressured into selecting a certain position. I really think the team need to address offensive tackle quickly in the draft, even if they bring some free agent in. We have far too often witness what it means to lack depth at this position.

Luckily, I don’t even think I had to reach with this pick. Hurst has been a bookend tackle for years at North Carolina. He has very good feet, good technique in pass protection and though rushers are sometimes able to beat him inside, he often is able to adjust to the opponent. He could improve as a run blocker where he doesn’t play with proper leverage and lunges at times, but he should be able to learn the right technique, and it seems he could easily bulk up a bit which would help him both against bull rushes and to get a better push in run blocking.

Hurst broke his leg in North Carolina’s bowl so he won’t work out before the draft. It’s not a very complicated injury, though, so he should be ready to go long before training camp, and he should be able to come back at full strength. Obviously, it doesn’t hurt either that he played side-by-side with Cooper for three years.

4. Brent Urban, defensive end, Virginia

This pick was between Urban, quarterback Brett Smith out of Wyoming and to trade up and select tight end Arthur Lynch out of Georgia. I think Smith is a way better project than Ryan Lindley, and I think Lynch is a very solid tight end in the mold of Jason Witten. In retrospect, I maybe should have traded up after Lynch, but I decided against Smith because I believe the Cardinals can make a lot of noise next season with the right upgrades so I choose the player that is more likely to make an impact right away.

Urban is built like a prototypical 3-4 defensive end with great height, long arms and a lot of strength in both the upper and lower body. Right now, he is clearly best as a run defender who can stack, shed and wrap up the ballcarrier. He might be ready to contribute on first and second down early in his NFL-career. He tends to use the same technique as a pass rusher, which leads to him not being very effective, and almost certainly an easy opponent to offensive linemen in the NFL. His upside is big though, and he could eventually replace Dockett in the starting line-up if he develop as expected.

5. Brandon Thomas, offensive guard, Clemson

As I made the trade with Green Bay, I suddenly lacked an upgrade to the interior offensive line. That didn’t force me into this pick but it did make me lean that way. I also considered Mason Walters, offensive guard out of Texas, Devin Street, wide receiver out of Pittsburgh and tight end Xavier Grimble out of USC. In the end, I decided that Thomas had the best value.

Thomas is sort of a poor man’s Zack Martin, offensive tackle, Notre Dame, as he has started many games at left tackle, but probably have to move to guard in the NFL because he lacks the proper height and arm length to stay at tackle. Unlike Martin, Clemson has switched Thomas back and forth between tackle and guard multiple times, and that experience makes him attractive to the Cardinals as he basically covers two spots on the roster – something Arians likes (probably as well as any other coach).

Thomas has the feet and athleticism to be an above average offensive guard at least. He is a strong pass protector, plays with good leverage, redirect quickly and has a very good punch to stonewall rushers. His run blocking could be better, but his issues might be fixed rather easy, as the main problem seems to be him stopping his feet and start lunging when he moves forward.

6. Walt Aikens, cornerback, Liberty

This was a pure potential-pick. The pick came down to Aikens, the two defensive ends Taylor Hart out of Oregon and Ben Gardner out of Stanford, rush linebacker Elhadji Ndiaye out of Nebraska-Hurney and cornerback Chris Davis out of Auburn. I really like both Hart and Gardner who plays with fine technique and big motors but in this scenario it came down to me already having selected Brent Urban. You will hear a great deal about Ndiaye up until the draft. He is this year’s version of Ziggy Ansah who was picked 7th overall last year. Obviously, Ndiaye played at a lot lower level than Ansah, but their background are almost identical, both are built like gladiators and runs very fast, and both have ton of potential going forward. I think I could easily defend a pick of Ndiaye but I choose the cornerback, since I picked Marcus Smith earlier and haven’t selected a cornerback yet. That meant it was between Aikens and Chris Davis. I like Davis but I went with the potential of Aikens instead. He enrolled at Illinois as a rather highly recruited defensive back but was kicked off the team after being charged with demeanor theft, which he later pleaded guilty to. He then went to Liberty and has dominated at cornerback for three seasons. He also played basketball and competed in high jump and long jump at a high level. He won several dunk contest while at Liberty.

He is extremely athletic, plays very physical and can easily run with receivers. He might be best in man coverage but I don’t think he will have big problems in zone coverage. His lack of quality opponents at Liberty of course makes him a big project but he surely has the upside to be a very good player in time.

At the end of the day I am satisfied with this draft. I think Calvin Pryor and Marcus Smith can become big contributors as rookies, and maybe even become starters during their first season. James Hurst could be a starter if they don’t bring in a free agent but if not, he will provide quality depth and could be a future bookend left tackle. Brent Urban and Brandon Thomas brings depth to both the defensive and offensive lines, and I think especially Urban could be an asset early on. Brandon Thomas could challenge both Fanaika, Watford, Christian Johnson and maybe Daryn Colledge, as well as being an adequate backup to Eric Winston, Bobbie Massie, Bradley Sowell or whoever is the right tackle. Walt Aikens has a lot of potential but is a project, and I simply don’t know if he can play special teams. Looking back, I probably should have used my 6th round pick and tried to move up in the 4th round to select tight end Arthur Lynch. It is a big need and to me, there is a significant drop-off in talent after the fourth or fifth best tight end. After Lynch I didn’t find any value in selecting a tight end, and that’s just not good enough. That said, I did manage to bring in more competition at the defensive line and cornerback so you could probably argue that it didn’t turn out that bad. Anyway, I believe I got good value with all my picks, and that alone is a success to me.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

1. Calvin Pryor, safety, Louisville

I would have liked to trade back with this pick, given how the round developed, but was unable to get the value I wanted.

Initially, I drafted offensive guard, David Yankey, with this pick. I think he is such a good and athletic run blocker that would fit right in at right guard. I know Fanaika got an extension in-season, that they are probably high on Watford and I assume they signed Christian Johnson for a reason (and Colledge is somewhat of an mysterious situation), but I also thought that none of those things would equal the upgrade Yankey would give the team. Yankey played left tackle as a freshman so he has added value in that regard, as he can probably still play tackle in a pinch. When I made the pick I was in serious doubt if I should select Yankey or Pryor, as I rate them almost equally, but because Yankey was the best offensive lineman on my board, he ended up being the pick. Green Bay selected Pryor with the next selection.

By the time we reached the 5th round I still haven’t been able to select a safety. I simply could not find the right value with any of my three previous picks. Green Bay was in the exact same situation, only with an offensive guard being their issue, so I was able to make a trade with them where I got Calvin Pryor and they got David Yankey. In theory, I could have asked for one or two additional picks since I was technically moving down a spot in the first round, but we didn’t even discuss it since both of us realized we should have picked to other player in the first round and thus were very satisfied with the trade.

Calvin Pryor reminds me of Eric Reid coming out of LSU. He is fast, physical and very good in run support but he can also cover the deep zones as a ballhawk. I don’t know if he can cover tight ends but he is big enough and has good enough cover skills to at least be better than Bell at it, and eventually Pryor might develop the skill if he doesn’t already possess them. I think he can start as a rookie and make a rather big different in the secondary.

2. Marcus Smith, outside linebacker, Louisville

To me, this was the easiest pick of them all. I would have been happy with a fast rush linebacker so I didn’t think about making a trade up to secure Smith, but neither did I hesitate for one second when he was available at this spot. I think he is nearly the ideal 3-4 outside linebacker, and that he could be a huge asset to this defense. He is at his best when he rushes from the outside with great speed, ability to both turn the corner and rushing between the tackle and guard, an above average bull rush, good use of his hands and proper technique in almost every aspect. However, he’s also able to rush from the middle and he is very good at dropping into coverage. I have seen him lined up at outside linebacker, inside linebacker, defensive end, defensive tackle and even as nickelback this previous season, and though he wasn’t equally good at every positions it does show his versatility and in how many ways Todd Bowles can utilize him. He never has to come off the field as he can play outside linebacker in base defense and move to either a more traditional rush defensive end or strongside linebacker in nickel defense.

I highly doubt that any team has Smith ranked below the 2nd round, and it wouldn’t shock me at all if some has him rated as at least a fringe 1st rounder. As well as Calvin Pryor, I think Smith can contribute right away, and in time be a very good starter.

3. James Hurst, offensive tackle, North Carolina

This was the only time where I felt a bit pressured into selecting a certain position. I really think the team need to address offensive tackle quickly in the draft, even if they bring some free agent in. We have far too often witness what it means to lack depth at this position.

Luckily, I don’t even think I had to reach with this pick. Hurst has been a bookend tackle for years at North Carolina. He has very good feet, good technique in pass protection and though rushers are sometimes able to beat him inside, he often is able to adjust to the opponent. He could improve as a run blocker where he doesn’t play with proper leverage and lunges at times, but he should be able to learn the right technique, and it seems he could easily bulk up a bit which would help him both against bull rushes and to get a better push in run blocking.

Hurst broke his leg in North Carolina’s bowl so he won’t work out before the draft. It’s not a very complicated injury, though, so he should be ready to go long before training camp, and he should be able to come back at full strength. Obviously, it doesn’t hurt either that he played side-by-side with Cooper for three years.

4. Brent Urban, defensive end, Virginia

This pick was between Urban, quarterback Brett Smith out of Wyoming and to trade up and select tight end Arthur Lynch out of Georgia. I think Smith is a way better project than Ryan Lindley, and I think Lynch is a very solid tight end in the mold of Jason Witten. In retrospect, I maybe should have traded up after Lynch, but I decided against Smith because I believe the Cardinals can make a lot of noise next season with the right upgrades so I choose the player that is more likely to make an impact right away.

Urban is built like a prototypical 3-4 defensive end with great height, long arms and a lot of strength in both the upper and lower body. Right now, he is clearly best as a run defender who can stack, shed and wrap up the ballcarrier. He might be ready to contribute on first and second down early in his NFL-career. He tends to use the same technique as a pass rusher, which leads to him not being very effective, and almost certainly an easy opponent to offensive linemen in the NFL. His upside is big though, and he could eventually replace Dockett in the starting line-up if he develop as expected.

5. Brandon Thomas, offensive guard, Clemson

As I made the trade with Green Bay, I suddenly lacked an upgrade to the interior offensive line. That didn’t force me into this pick but it did make me lean that way. I also considered Mason Walters, offensive guard out of Texas, Devin Street, wide receiver out of Pittsburgh and tight end Xavier Grimble out of USC. In the end, I decided that Thomas had the best value.

Thomas is sort of a poor man’s Zack Martin, offensive tackle, Notre Dame, as he has started many games at left tackle, but probably have to move to guard in the NFL because he lacks the proper height and arm length to stay at tackle. Unlike Martin, Clemson has switched Thomas back and forth between tackle and guard multiple times, and that experience makes him attractive to the Cardinals as he basically covers two spots on the roster – something Arians likes (probably as well as any other coach).

Thomas has the feet and athleticism to be an above average offensive guard at least. He is a strong pass protector, plays with good leverage, redirect quickly and has a very good punch to stonewall rushers. His run blocking could be better, but his issues might be fixed rather easy, as the main problem seems to be him stopping his feet and start lunging when he moves forward.

6. Walt Aikens, cornerback, Liberty

This was a pure potential-pick. The pick came down to Aikens, the two defensive ends Taylor Hart out of Oregon and Ben Gardner out of Stanford, rush linebacker Elhadji Ndiaye out of Nebraska-Hurney and cornerback Chris Davis out of Auburn. I really like both Hart and Gardner who plays with fine technique and big motors but in this scenario it came down to me already having selected Brent Urban. You will hear a great deal about Ndiaye up until the draft. He is this year’s version of Ziggy Ansah who was picked 7th overall last year. Obviously, Ndiaye played at a lot lower level than Ansah, but their background are almost identical, both are built like gladiators and runs very fast, and both have ton of potential going forward. I think I could easily defend a pick of Ndiaye but I choose the cornerback, since I picked Marcus Smith earlier and haven’t selected a cornerback yet. That meant it was between Aikens and Chris Davis. I like Davis but I went with the potential of Aikens instead. He enrolled at Illinois as a rather highly recruited defensive back but was kicked off the team after being charged with demeanor theft, which he later pleaded guilty to. He then went to Liberty and has dominated at cornerback for three seasons. He also played basketball and competed in high jump and long jump at a high level. He won several dunk contest while at Liberty.

He is extremely athletic, plays very physical and can easily run with receivers. He might be best in man coverage but I don’t think he will have big problems in zone coverage. His lack of quality opponents at Liberty of course makes him a big project but he surely has the upside to be a very good player in time.

At the end of the day I am satisfied with this draft. I think Calvin Pryor and Marcus Smith can become big contributors as rookies, and maybe even become starters during their first season. James Hurst could be a starter if they don’t bring in a free agent but if not, he will provide quality depth and could be a future bookend left tackle. Brent Urban and Brandon Thomas brings depth to both the defensive and offensive lines, and I think especially Urban could be an asset early on. Brandon Thomas could challenge both Fanaika, Watford, Christian Johnson and maybe Daryn Colledge, as well as being an adequate backup to Eric Winston, Bobbie Massie, Bradley Sowell or whoever is the right tackle. Walt Aikens has a lot of potential but is a project, and I simply don’t know if he can play special teams. Looking back, I probably should have used my 6th round pick and tried to move up in the 4th round to select tight end Arthur Lynch. It is a big need and to me, there is a significant drop-off in talent after the fourth or fifth best tight end. After Lynch I didn’t find any value in selecting a tight end, and that’s just not good enough. That said, I did manage to bring in more competition at the defensive line and cornerback so you could probably argue that it didn’t turn out that bad. Anyway, I believe I got good value with all my picks, and that alone is a success to me.

Yes very good value with picks. I think we could use an experienced SS.

I'm curious how you compare Chris Smith - Arkansas with Marcus Smith? What do you think about Utah's Trevor Reilly? Michael Sam?

Hurst in the 3rd and Urban in the 4th are definitely not probable, but who knows at this point? Urban is mtl a late 2nd early 3rd right now, imo.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quality post and a very good mock. Loved that you laid out your thought processes and why you made the choices you did and the other possible options that you passed on.

I agree that not drafting a TE is not ideal and I'm hoping that SK can trade down in the first to pick up another pick or two.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Loved all your reasonings, Gandhi. I can't argue with any of the picks, but I'd like to know who the UFA signings are because we need speed on offense and there are some good speed WRs in this draft.

For example, if we did sign Brandon Albert then the Hurst pick becomes moot and this is a pot where we could take a speed WR.

Regardless, excellent work, Gandhi! This was a great read, thank you!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really like the draft, very solid breakdown and good choices on picks round 2+ (love Hurst too)

however, the 1st rounder, Pryor, while a very good player, is a Free Safety. The same as Rashad Johnson and sometimes Tyrann.

We need a Strong Safety to replace Bell. SS is the major need. And you cant necessarily take a FS and convert him into a SS. They are as different as ILB and OLB. Different skillsets and minds.

As for the SS need, I love Deone Bucannon out of Washington State. Look him up. He is an absolute beast and can be had in the 2nd round.

For the 1st round I like Kyle Van Noy (OLB).

And so with those picks, we accomplish the same things in rounds 1 and 2, its just better geared to out needs while still making out with A+ talent.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I really like the draft, very solid breakdown and good choices on picks round 2+ (love Hurst too)

however, the 1st rounder, Pryor, while a very good player, is a Free Safety. The same as Rashad Johnson and sometimes Tyrann.

We need a Strong Safety to replace Bell. SS is the major need. And you cant necessarily take a FS and convert him into a SS. They are as different as ILB and OLB. Different skillsets and minds.

As for the SS need, I love Deone Bucannon out of Washington State. Look him up. He is an absolute beast and can be MAYBE had in the 2nd round.

For the 1st round I like Kyle Van Noy (OLB).

And so with those picks, we accomplish the same things in rounds 1 and 2, its just better geared to out needs while still making out with A+ talent.

Fify. ;)

There are more teams than us looking for that position. He may be the #1 at that SS position coming out.

Our best bet is mtl, FA again.

This is what Keim did last yr. Fill ALL the positions with capable NFL talent and then take the player you really like that falls into your plans for the future.

Fwiw, Pryor could handle the SS position. He could start off as the 3rd saftey in the dime packages and next year be in position to take over.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
[1. Calvin Pryor, safety, Louisville

Don't forget to vote. Give him some props.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/cbs-rang-brugler-mocks-204622-3.html

1- Amaro
2- Hageman
3- Ealy

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The problem with doing full mock drafts right now instead of waiting for free agency is that the draft board will change dramatically since need shouldn't be as much a factor after free agency.

If we sign a starting tackle, I don't see how drafting Hurst would likely be BPA or filling a need. If we resign Frosty Rucker or bring in another depth lineman then I doubt draft Urban would be a smart decision. I'm also not hot on drafting another guard after bringing in Cooper, Watford, and having Nate Potter, Fanaika, and possibly Colledge on the roster. Even if Colledge is cut, we still have 4 players of varying potential on the roster. Thomas may possibly have a poor chance of making the roster, and I don't like the thought of drafting another unknown into a group with decent potential, and low positional value as far as draft capital is concerned.

I'm also really not a fan of drafting safeties high. It's not a premium position and one that has been easily filled by teams across the NFL with 4th round picks and later. We should look to fill the SS void with a mid level free agent and draft a guy later in the draft.

I like the Marcus Smith pick, but he might be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round since teams are more and more putting a premium on pass rushers.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm curious how you compare Chris Smith - Arkansas with Marcus Smith? What do you think about Utah's Trevor Reilly? Michael Sam?

Thank’s for the feetback, WildBB!

Right now, I consider Chris Smith to be more of a pure speed rusher whereas I think Marcus Smith is a more complete linebacker. That’s not to say at all that Chris Smith would be a bad pick, because I do think he has the tools to develop into a good all-round linebacker, but if Marcus Smith is an option in the second round I wouldn’t hesitate. Trevor Reilly is an interesting player because he can do so many things. At Utah they used him at several positions and he played well at all of them. He doesn’t have elite speed, though, so I could see him having problems as an edge rusher in the NFL, sort of like how I think Trent Murphy might have issues. In addition, Reilly is going to be a 26-year old rookie, and not that is matters that much but it does indicate that you might get what you see. I’m not that high on Michael Sam. I think he is too small to be a down lineman, and I don’t think he is athletic enough to be a standup linebacker.

Hurst in the 3rd and Urban in the 4th are definitely not probable, but who knows at this point? Urban is mtl a late 2nd early 3rd right now, imo.

I don’t know about that. Brent Urban doesn’t offer much pass rush as of now, and those guys tend to slide come draftday. Hurst does have the injury that will keep him from working out prior to the draft. That could have an impact.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Loved all your reasonings, Gandhi. I can't argue with any of the picks, but I'd like to know who the UFA signings are because we need speed on offense and there are some good speed WRs in this draft.

For example, if we did sign Brandon Albert then the Hurst pick becomes moot and this is a pot where we could take a speed WR.

Regardless, excellent work, Gandhi! This was a great read, thank you!

I really appreciate it, Mitch. Thank you!

Well, that’s a tough question. I do agree that they need speed on the offense, but I don’t necessarily agree that signing Albert makes Hurst irrelevant. Hurst Is a quality player and adding him would more or less remove the risk of a major disaster if Albert should go down. The backups right now are not nearly good enough. Regarding the undrafted free agents I have to warn you that not all of the participants in the play follow the draft process as carefully as us, so some of them are unlikely to be available. Anyway, from the group of players that weren’t chosen, I would look to add wide receivers T.J. Jones out of Notre Dame, Tevin Reese out of Baylor and Shaq Evans out of UCLA. I would probably give runningbacks Damien Williams out of Oklahoma a shot as well as Branden Oliver out of Buffalo.

Here is a link to the entire draft so you can see which players got drafted.

http://www.armleg.com/footballforum/viewtopic.php?t=6676&mforum=footballforum

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Thank you for commenting, Bodha!

You are right that Calvin Pryor technically is a free safety. I just think that he and Hakeem Smith (strong safety at Louisville) were used to do almost the same things at various times. I’m not even sure that their coaches saw them as one being the strong safety and the other being the free safety. To me, there is nothing that says Pryor can’t play as a traditional strong safety, but having said that, I also think the distinction between the spots are becoming more and more fluid. With the league becoming so pass-oriented I think the two positions has to do a lot of the same things, both against the pass and the run. It might simply be a respond to how offensive systems are now.

As for the SS need, I love Deone Bucannon out of Washington State. Look him up. He is an absolute beast and can be had in the 2nd round.

He would be a beast, no doubt. Would absolutely adore the pick.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we sign a starting tackle, I don't see how drafting Hurst would likely be BPA or filling a need. If we resign Frosty Rucker or bring in another depth lineman then I doubt draft Urban would be a smart decision. I'm also not hot on drafting another guard after bringing in Cooper, Watford, and having Nate Potter, Fanaika, and possibly Colledge on the roster. Even if Colledge is cut, we still have 4 players of varying potential on the roster. Thomas may possibly have a poor chance of making the roster, and I don't like the thought of drafting another unknown into a group with decent potential, and low positional value as far as draft capital is concerned.

Great comments, Krang. Thank you!

While I certainly agree that a free agent left tackle, and a re-signing of Rucker would eliminate any need of drafting those positions I don’t agree that it would be wasted picks. I think the really good teams are built from within and have good to great depth across the lines. Hurst nor Urban, in this scenario, might not be starters next season, or for a very long time for that matter, but Urban would provide the possibility of a quality rotation, while Hurst could be a strong backup that this team has lacked for way too long. Down the road they could eliminate possible needs at that time and simply step in as starters.

I'm also really not a fan of drafting safeties high. It's not a premium position and one that has been easily filled by teams across the NFL with 4th round picks and later. We should look to fill the SS void with a mid level free agent and draft a guy later in the draft.

Well, I think it’s like most other positions that the best are picked in the first few rounds. Many posters are talking about either T.J. Ward from the Browns or Jairus Byrd from the Bills as targets in free agency, and both of them were selected in the second round. Earl Thomas, Mark Barron, Eric Weddle, Morgan Burnett were all drafted in the first or second round. All of them are among what I think is the better young safeties in the league.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Good draft. I like the players that were picked. I think that Calvin Pryor could play strong safety. He is the total package, just needs to make sure he wraps up while tackling. Sometimes goes for the big hit instead of the sure tackle (maybe Honey Badger could help him).

Marcus Smith a good pick, but the 3-4 OLB position looks to be very deep. My choice in the second round would be Odell Beckham Jr from LSU. The guy is super fast and I think Arians really wants a speed demon to compliment Fitz and Floyd's size. I would also consider Troy Niklaus the tight end from Notre Dame, I think he can block well and is a good receiving threat too. I saw that Carl Bradford from ASU was not drafted. I would consider our 6th rounder on him or even trading back into the 7th to pick him.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good draft. I like the players that were picked. I think that Calvin Pryor could play strong safety. He is the total package, just needs to make sure he wraps up while tackling. Sometimes goes for the big hit instead of the sure tackle (maybe Honey Badger could help him).

Great thought, Jay! I too think Calvin Pryor is nearly the total package. I actually think he might start right away. He’s that good.

Marcus Smith a good pick, but the 3-4 OLB position looks to be very deep. My choice in the second round would be Odell Beckham Jr from LSU. The guy is super fast and I think Arians really wants a speed demon to compliment Fitz and Floyd's size. I would also consider Troy Niklaus the tight end from Notre Dame, I think he can block well and is a good receiving threat too. I saw that Carl Bradford from ASU was not drafted. I would consider our 6th rounder on him or even trading back into the 7th to pick him.

Now, I’m from Europe. Anyone named ‘Beckham’ HAS to play what you guys call soccer. :)

No, seriously, I hear you loud and clear, and I think it would be a really good pick. Beckham reminds me a bit of a more refined version of Desean Jackson coming out of California. Or maybe T.Y. Hilton with the Colts. Beckham is extremely explosive and quick in and out of his breaks. Runs very crisp routes, gets good separation and has a huge catch radius with his enormous hands for his size.

I didn’t choose him partly because I think it might be a little overkill to have that many wide receivers drafted very high, partly because I am high on Marcus Smith, partly because Arians was able to get the outcome he wanted with, albeit for a very short amount of time, with unknown speed-receivers like Brittan Golden and Teddy Williams. I also think the best way would be if they could get Hakeem Nicks on a lower contract. That’s not likely, and it didn’t factor in to my decisions in this draft, but if he can find his old level he could be the highly dangerous along with Fitzgerald and Floyd.

To me, Troy Niklas is sort of an unknown. He’s clearly very talented but I think he came out way too early. He’s just not very polished in any aspect yet. He might be very good down the road but I don’t think it would be that good of an early pick for a team that need production out of the tight end-position right now.

By the way, Green Bay selected Carl Bradford in the fifth round as an inside linebacker. I kind of like that projection.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Since we're chasing Seattle and SF, I'm pretty sure we'll go defense in the first round. So a safety, CB or DL makes the most sense. We have a few guys coming back from injury so I'm guessing that an OLB won't be the choice. SK will go with his BPA, and I'm guessing that DL won't be picked over in the first 19 picks, so I'll go with Nix, Hegeman (Sp?) or Jernigan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player