Gabbert

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
What’s so insane about that? How about a quiz since it’s insane? Who has a winning record in the nfl? Stanton and winning record for the cardinals as a starter. Who has been in the system longer? Stanton and has proved to have moderate success hence the winning record. Who has posted a better 3rd down percentage in the games they’ve started? Stanton once again. Who has less turnovers? Stanton still!!! 3rd down conversions and winning the turnover battle wins games which Stanton has proved this year to be better at. Gabbert isn’t the answer. He’s a backup just like Stanton. Stanton gives us the better chance to win the rest of the season.

Do you ever watch them actually play, or do you just read pages of stats ?

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you mean the better chance at winning a high draft pick? Because then I'd agree with you :)

Stanton may know the system better, but he can't execute it... Proof: Stanton 48.4% completion percentage this season... Gabbert 61.1% against Houston & Jacksonville, not the lowly 49ers (Drew was only 50% comps against SF). It doesn't matter how well you know the playbook if you can't accurately make the throws & throw a clean catchable ball.

Stanton has a 7-3 record as a starter... true, but almost all of those wins have come against losing teams (3 against SF) & were with a better team around him than our current roster.

Stanton does have less turnovers this year... Gabbert needs to improve in this area... more reps in the offense might help, who knows... Palmer has the same issue & hasn't shook it.

3rd down % doesn't mean much when one guys plays the 49ers & the other beats the top ranked defense in the NFL. Gabbert needs to stop throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down.

Gabbert has made some costly turnovers (2 ints were with 5 min left in the 4th qtr & down 10 to Houston), but overall he's been the better backup QB this year in my opinion. I'm not saying he's the answer as a starter going forward (I want to draft a 1st rd rookie QB), but so far he looks like a better option than anyone we had when Warner retired.
The completion percentage isn’t there I agree, but it’s because he takes shots downfield. Also the wr haven’t done any justice to that when we played Seattle. Gabbert played one bad d and one great d like Stanton did. We can discount SF d all we want, but Houston’s d is arguably just as bad. Gabbert’s second leading wr (in catches) was AP!!!! Adrian Peterson?!?!? He caught more passes this week than he has in seasons lol. And this is in a game where our oline had their best game of the season. 5 pressures one sack(tweet Ronin posted in game day thread I believe). I agree we need a qb in next years draft of FA, but I don’t want a young qb to learn behind Gabbert when he has no success in the nfl. Best case scenario CP comes back for one more year and our rookie learns from him or we land a FA that’ll lead us for the next 5+ years to many wins

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you ever watch them actually play, or do you just read pages of stats ?
Yes, I haven’t missed a play, regular season/preseason/postseason, since I was in college (2011). When AP is your second leading wr(in catches) it means your qb isn’t putting you in a position to win. If you push then ball downfield they won’t stack the box, which sets up the run game and play action off of that. You can’t just run or check down if the first read isn’t open because you’re scared to get hit.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Great speculation and all.. But If Blaine keeps playing well we may not be able to even resign the guy..

I would think Gabbert would value stability in an offense for once if Arians stuck around and we were to make him an offer. Does he really want to jump out to another team, learn an all-new offense, and run into the same issues he's had the rest of his career?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think Gabbert would value stability in an offense for once if Arians stuck around and we were to make him an offer. Does he really want to jump out to another team, learn an all-new offense, and run into the same issues he's had the rest of his career?

With enough money offered on the guaranteed side of the house I’m sure he consider it

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
When one has been treated the way Gabbert has been, and not that some of it was not warranted, not a whole lot may be required to retain his services as expected. The season is not over yet and he is still on the cusp of not having any NFL career. I do not think it would be wise for him to gamble if it finally appears he has found a place where he can succeed unless one final paycheck is his objective but I think he actually loves the game and if the Cardinals make a decent effort to retain him, I say he stays in Cardinal red... little things like Arians giving him that game ball and feeling like you finally belong goes a long way and he is a humble guy in my opinion

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Gabbert is a starting NFL QB, best we got going forward - it’s his job to lose, I would sign him long term, and challenge anyone to take it

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
lets see what he can do down the stretch, at least i will try to sign him as a back up

I think Gabbert can be a starter. He can run and throws a good accurate pass and reads defenses. I certainly would sign him as a backup for next year as he is much better than Stanton. After our QB retires after
next year we may have our QB of the future right under our nose. Hard guy to sack and gets rid of ball fast. He has a strong arm as one of his throws went 65 yards in the air. I am really high on Gabbert. Don't let him get away as you can bet some other QB hungary teams wiil be looking at him.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can anyone name a former high first round draft pick who was mediocre for two different teams and then became a quality starter for his third team? I am struggling to think of a single example of something that many on this board are convinced could/will happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Two time SB champ Jim Plunkett

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If I'm a QB who has been passed around HC's and OC's like Gabbert.... I know the one place I'd look for stability, Is the team with a 65 year old coach with health problems....

And bonus points if the assistant HC was 80.

That has "stability" written all over it.

All attempts at humor aside..... I like Gabbert, and would love to see him get a shot at being our QBOTF.

I like Stanton just enough to stomach him being ahead of Ryan Lindley on our depth chart.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm glad that BA is gong with Gabbert as the starter. That will give the Cards (and all of us) a good look at him to evaluate if he can really be the starter next year and sign him to a contract. So far I like what I see but he must cut down on the interceptions. IMO that is the key.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If I'm a QB who has been passed around HC's and OC's like Gabbert.... I know the one place I'd look for stability, Is the team with a 65 year old coach with health problems....

And bonus points if the assistant HC was 80.

That has "stability" written all over it.

All attempts at humor aside..... I like Gabbert, and would love to see him get a shot at being our QBOTF.

I like Stanton just enough to stomach him being ahead of Ryan Lindley on our depth chart.

Stability was less my point than it was this offense tailoring mostly to his strengths. I'd rather compete on a team where I was already familiar with the playbook and terminology as opposed to going to say, the Broncos or the Redskins where my talent is going to be harshly scrutinized right off the bat.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whisenhunt & Graves have zero, Michael Bidwill & Steve Keim were also on this excursion... What changed from 2011 to 2017, besides the obviousness of time? Did Keim like Gabbert, or see something that didn't move the meter for Whiz & Graves? Scary to think about Jake Locker....

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gabbert is battling Cam Newton, Ryan Mallett and Jake Locker to be the first quarterback selected.

QB's drafted in the first round that year:

Newton (1)
Locker (8)
Gabbert (10)
Ponder (12)

Mallet lasted until the 74th pick, with Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick picked ahead of him

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn