Gabbert

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Assuming Carson Palmer isn't back, and Arians remains as HC, I re-sign Gabbert in 2018 and give him the chance to compete for the job with another mid-level QB (thinking Taylor, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, etc.), Stanton, and a draft pick.

I'm not sold on him as our starter but I can swallow giving him a chance to prove himself after another full offseason in the same offense.

If Palmer returns? I still try to bring him back as a backup, but I can't envision Arians parting ways with Stanton, or Gabbert agreeing to come back as the #3 QB.

But I will acquiesce to one thing, I think Gabbert is a better player than Stanton at this point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carson Palmer

To be fair to Palmer, he looked like a superstar in his third season where he threw for 36 tds and 12 picks while pushing the Bengals to their first playoffs in over a decade, then had the knee injury and a couple seasons later was decent enough to get ten back to the playoffs again.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the new poster that really liked Gabbert, but was beat down by all the Gabbert naysayers in this board. I think he was banned for awhile? Is he back?
He got the traditional ASFN beat down is my guess. :grabs:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
D. Brees 22 32 246 1 0 vs Rams Defense

B. Gabbert 22 38 241 2 1 vs Jags Defense

Similar numbers. Both top ranked defenses. Brees was sacked 3 times, Gabbert once.

R. Wilson 20 34 228 2 1 vs SF defense

K. Cousins 19/31 242 2 1 vs Giant defense

Again similar numbers against shaky defenses

I would say Gabbert held his own.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great speculation and all.. But If Blaine keeps playing well we may not be able to even resign the guy..

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can anyone name a former high first round draft pick who was mediocre for two different teams and then became a quality starter for his third team? I am struggling to think of a single example of something that many on this board are convinced could/will happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Vinny Testeverde.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
right?? He might pull an osweiller
Based on his past 7 years, yeah I think he would jump at the $$$, don't blame him. We are paying him $895,000. He still has a lot to prove but if he looks decent over the last 5 games who knows what offers he will get.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Based on his past 7 years, yeah I think he would jump at the $$$, don't blame him. We are paying him $895,000. He still has a lot to prove but if he looks decent over the last 5 games who knows what offers he will get.
I dunno... drop Stanton and offer Gabby the $3mil a year we pay Drew...for three years...with a player opt out after 2....
gives him the opportunity to earn more if he stays a starter and starts producing

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I dunno... drop Stanton and offer Gabby the $3mil a year we pay Drew...for three years...with a player opt out after 2....
gives him the opportunity to earn more if he stays a starter and starts producing
I'm good with that. It's the QB hunting other teams who may overpay him if if does decent.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is insane, just flat out insane... words (and even thoughts) fail me that someone could say that.

Is AZFaninMN Drews wife ? What else could explain that ?
What’s so insane about that? How about a quiz since it’s insane? Who has a winning record in the nfl? Stanton and winning record for the cardinals as a starter. Who has been in the system longer? Stanton and has proved to have moderate success hence the winning record. Who has posted a better 3rd down percentage in the games they’ve started? Stanton once again. Who has less turnovers? Stanton still!!! 3rd down conversions and winning the turnover battle wins games which Stanton has proved this year to be better at. Gabbert isn’t the answer. He’s a backup just like Stanton. Stanton gives us the better chance to win the rest of the season.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did Vinny play for anyone other than cleveland?? LOL... every mental image I have of him has him in a Browns uniform..

He played for the Panthers... they signed him from his retirement couch and I think it was his first game back he beat the Cardinals, at 40+ years old!! lol

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What’s so insane about that? How about a quiz since it’s insane? Who has a winning record in the nfl? Stanton and winning record for the cardinals as a starter. Who has been in the system longer? Stanton and has proved to have moderate success hence the winning record. Who has posted a better 3rd down percentage in the games they’ve started? Stanton once again. Who has less turnovers? Stanton still!!! 3rd down conversions and winning the turnover battle wins games which Stanton has proved this year to be better at. Gabbert isn’t the answer. He’s a backup just like Stanton. Stanton gives us the better chance to win the rest of the season.

Do you mean the better chance at winning a high draft pick? Because then I'd agree with you :)

Stanton may know the system better, but he can't execute it... Proof: Stanton 48.4% completion percentage this season... Gabbert 61.1% against Houston & Jacksonville, not the lowly 49ers (Drew was only 50% comps against SF). It doesn't matter how well you know the playbook if you can't accurately make the throws & throw a clean catchable ball.

Stanton has a 7-3 record as a starter... true, but almost all of those wins have come against losing teams (3 against SF) & were with a better team around him than our current roster.

Stanton does have less turnovers this year... Gabbert needs to improve in this area... more reps in the offense might help, who knows... Palmer has the same issue & hasn't shook it.

3rd down % doesn't mean much when one guys plays the 49ers & the other beats the top ranked defense in the NFL. Gabbert needs to stop throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down.

Gabbert has made some costly turnovers (2 ints were with 5 min left in the 4th qtr & down 10 to Houston), but overall he's been the better backup QB this year in my opinion. I'm not saying he's the answer as a starter going forward (I want to draft a 1st rd rookie QB), but so far he looks like a better option than anyone we had when Warner retired.