Gabbert

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
Has he played better than Stanton? Yes. I still don't get the luv of him going forward. He's an adequate QB IMO & that's it.

1) throws a great ball
2) mobile
3) quick decision making
4) very good arm
5) 1 read QB
6) locks onto receivers
7) still turns the ball over often
8) no touch, throws to many laser passes
9) too many passes under & around 10 yards. Rarely throws deep
10) still has low completion %, not as accurate as top passers

I'd take him as my #2 but not my constant starter! If anyone thinks the Cards or any other team can compete or win a SB title with anyone like or similar to Gabbert in today's game you need to wake up. Gabbert is the ultimate tease IMO. He will make you want more then crush your soul most of the time in the end! Is he better than Josh McCown?

well the Jags were dreaming SuperBowl with Bortles ... GABBERT > (by a lot) than Bortles...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A lot of good: good feet, clutch play and intermediate accuracy

Some bad: staring down receivers and forcing balls into traffic. Could've been picked a couple more times

I want to see more shots down the field and limit the really bad reads

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a tough crowd. Majority think some unknown rookie QB is a better option than Gabbert. Palmer ain't coming back and Stanton is olive drab paint.

BTW How about Rich Gannon was a maligned QB who succeeded after dismal start.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can anyone name a former high first round draft pick who was mediocre for two different teams and then became a quality starter for his third team? I am struggling to think of a single example of something that many on this board are convinced could/will happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This question came-up before and there’s a damn good answer: HOFer Len Dawson.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone name a former high first round draft pick who was mediocre for two different teams and then became a quality starter for his third team? I am struggling to think of a single example of something that many on this board are convinced could/will happen.

Jim Plunkett

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another good late bloomer was Rich Gannon. Though he wasn't drafted highly. Kurt Warner was undrafted but was on his third or more pro team (counting the Barnstormers). Heck even Jake Plummer was a better QB with the Broncos than he was here. Not everyone is their Madden rating for life, people grow and change, and this is a more mentally healthy team for Gabbert than where he's been before.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Plunkett

#1 Overall pick by the Boston Patriots...mediocre,...went to san fran....sucked....went to Oakland....2 SB rings (and should have a gold jacket)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What a tough crowd. Majority think some unknown rookie QB is a better option than Gabbert. Palmer ain't coming back and Stanton is olive drab paint.

BTW How about Rich Gannon was a maligned QB who succeeded after dismal start.
I think most of us would prefer we keep Gabs, and also draft a rookie... hell, start Palmer another year with 3 QB's on the roster....sitting three years didnt seam to hurt aaron Rodgers at all

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer if gabbert keep playing in this way he is going to be cut
All we know that moderm football require a certain mobility
He is tough but its hard to think he wont go IR next season if he plays

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

How about Case Keenam? He is flat-out balling for the Vikings right now. He's won like 6 in a row.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I see us having a ton of holes to fill....talk about qbotf, who are our wrotf? We need another cb to help opposite PP. Our oline has underwhelmed to say the least. Our lb are coming alive now. If we have a guy capable of leading an offence, and we finish, say, 7-9, by putting pieces around him, we’re bound to improve. I’ve been for drafting a qb for years, but with so many holes, keep what we have, maybe add a fa qb, and build around and make a push.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m really impressed with the historical knowledge.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
If we finish 7-9 or even 8-9, will there even be a qbotf on the draft board?

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Tripe. He watched the coverages line up and went with the 2cd or 3rd receiver within a couple of seconds instead of waiting 3-4 seconds for the primary to develope deep on BAs 'biscuit' plays, consequently, we would get 12-15 yards and a first down instead of an forced incomplete or a sack (which would have been the result over and over with Stanton or even CP).

Dump routes... please, just say you hate Gabbert for whatever irrational reason you have, but don't try to snow us with that crap.

Had Gabbert been starting from day 1 our record would be a whole lot different (assuming they actually started tight ends who catch, like Seals-Jones along with him).
Who said I hate Gabbert? Im the one who defends him most of the time on this board. What in my post makes you think Im trying to "snow" anyone. Back down sport.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like him. Hated him as a prospect. He played in a spread at Mizzou and you rarely saw him thrown the ball more than seven yards. He still likes to checkdown too much. I'd rather him scramble around and not throw the ball 5 yards short of the first.

I don't think Stanton should start another game as a Cardinal. Gabbert is obviously a better player.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the new poster that really liked Gabbert, but was beat down by all the Gabbert naysayers in this board. I think he was banned for awhile? Is he back?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i had no idea Gabbert has been in the league 7 seasons ....

for some reason, i was thinking it was maybe his 5th season

i guess what i wonder is this: how much more can we expect Gabbert to improve?

the deficiencies i see:

1. As Archuleta on the broadcast noted: Gabbert tends to decide where the ball is going at the line of scimmage -- this is where the throws into coverage come from when Dbs who study film recognize plays. Can we expect better decision making as he gets more comfortable in BAs offense?

2. It seems the rep for throwing completed passes on third down for 75% of yardage needed for a first seems well earned. Can that be fixed?

3. On the move -- love the movement skills, it just seems like nothing good comes of it. Can he learn just to throw it away or run forward for what he can get slide (before fumbling)?

a 4th year guy, it seems like you could answer yes to these. 7th season.......?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"Itseems the rep for throwing completed passes on third down for 75% of yardage needed for a first seems well earned. Can that be fixed?"

There was one play I saw (didn't get to watch all the game, bits and pieces) where he threw it to Fitz on third and short where he was going for a quick slant. The defender that was defending the the receiver that was supposed to rub off Fitz's defender saw and recognized the play broke off his guy and broke it up. In the meantime his receiver was taking off downfield and appeared wide open. This receiver should have received the ball from Gabbert, not Fitz.