Free Agency 2020

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Davis and Giannis could leave after next season if they are related to the car comparison.
Davis has a player option for this year. He can opt out and be signed long term. This only makes sense if you do that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis has a player option for this year. He can opt out and be signed long term. This only makes sense if you do that.

This would be the only way to do it. Have to hope the Lakers implode.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
See, I am not interested in Anthony Davis-type players right now. I think they keep what they have and just add a couple of smaller pieces. Everything is going well, so don't mess with it. I would try to get Christian Wood or Jarami Grant to beef up the frontcourt, or perhaps Mason Plumlee in that role. DJ Augustine would be my PG target, though I may be sold on Payne as a good enough backup. Justin Holiday would add some defense and shooting. Noah Vonleh could be a cheap backup big too. Diallo and Kaminsky need to go. I am OK with Dario, but I am OK with him as a backup big playing alongside one athletic big.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
See, I am not interested in Anthony Davis-type players right now. I think they keep what they have and just add a couple of smaller pieces. Everything is going well, so don't mess with it. I would try to get Christian Wood or Jarami Grant to beef up the frontcourt, or perhaps Mason Plumlee in that role. DJ Augustine would be my PG target, though I may be sold on Payne as a good enough backup. Justin Holiday would add some defense and shooting. Noah Vonleh could be a cheap backup big too. Diallo and Kaminsky need to go. I am OK with Dario, but I am OK with him as a backup big playing alongside one athletic big.
Cristian Wood isn't coming here. Detroit will overpay to keep him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
See, I am not interested in Anthony Davis-type players right now. I think they keep what they have and just add a couple of smaller pieces.

Let me get this straight - you'd pass on the chance to acquire a top 5 player in his prime because...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shams saying we're going to persue Fred VanFleet. And he's expected to get 25-30m per.

I like him, but no thanks for that amount.
I think we are at a stage where we might be in great danger of overpaying for good but not great players. VanVleet is exactly the type of player we should steer clear of. He is good, but will be overpaid for his value and will put us in cap hell.

Go for the superstar or wait.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like Grant, i could see him subbing in for Ayton and playing our 5 with the second unit. Would give us so much flexibility on defense, and he's competent enough on offense to be a threat.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we are at a stage where we might be in great danger of overpaying for good but not great players. VanVleet is exactly the type of player we should steer clear of. He is good, but will be overpaid for his value and will put us in cap hell.

Go for the superstar or wait.

He's good but that good to lock us up, then the other guys will be due.
Booker due 2024
Ayton due 2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of salary, in 2022/23 Ayton and Bridges would be restricted free agents but the Suns would only have one guaranteed salary... Devin Booker for $33,790,000.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
van Fleet is going to command more than 2 year deal with an option.

I'm not sure Van Vleet is worth $25-30 million per season so the Suns would be overpaying him upfront and he would only be age 28 when he could potentially hit free agency again with a team option.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Let me get this straight - you'd pass on the chance to acquire a top 5 player in his prime because...

Outside of it being impossible, I'd pass on it if it meant having to destroy the current roster in order to get him. I don't think it's necessary. Obviously, if he is available, I'd look at it, but I would not destroy the current roster in order to add a player like Davis. And as a sidenote, there is no chance in hell AD is a top-five player in the NBA right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside of it being impossible, I'd pass on it if it meant having to destroy the current roster in order to get him. I don't think it's necessary. Obviously, if he is available, I'd look at it, but I would not destroy the current roster in order to add a player like Davis. And as a sidenote, there is no chance in hell AD is a top-five player in the NBA right now.

The top five or ten NBA players is a great topic by itself.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Hilarious...even if he's top 10 instead of top 5, you "break up" a non-playoff team to acquire one of the top 10 players in the league every day.

Outside of Booker, the only very valuable pieces are still on rookie contracts! Who else of this juggernaut would you be afraid to unload to acquire Davis?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Van Vleet is worth $25-30 million per season so the Suns would be overpaying him upfront and he would only be age 28 when he could potentially hit free agency again with a team option.

again, a 25 year old who’s prob going to be one of the only really attractive UFAs this offseason isn’t signing a 2 year deal. If the Suns want him, they will need to commit long term.

And to be honest... I’d be okay with that. I think he’s got the potential to be a Chauncey Billups type floor leader/mr. big shot for us while also being a good defender. Rubio is a band-aid. They need to fill the PG spot long term and this team needs to start making major leaps forward NOW before Booker starts looking towards greener pastures to the West of us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We would not have to destroy the current roster. It would basically take letting go of our expensive free agents and moving Oubre for space (trade up in the draft, future pick, or something). Davis has a player option for this off-season and I believe he will exercise it.

Baynes and Kaminsky are not likely coming back anyway. Saric would be a loss, but for Davis? Pffft. We might even be able to sign Saric back anyway as a FA.

The biggest obstacle would be trying to get Davis to come to Phoenix over remaining in LA. That would be a monumental task, but making a signing like that now is more realistic than any time in the last ten years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
again, a 25 year old who’s prob going to be one of the only really attractive UFAs this offseason isn’t signing a 2 year deal. If the Suns want him, they will need to commit long term.

And to be honest... I’d be okay with that. I think he’s got the potential to be a Chauncey Billups type floor leader/mr. big shot for us while also being a good defender. Rubio is a band-aid. They need to fill the PG spot long term and this team needs to start making major leaps forward NOW before Booker starts looking towards greener pastures to the West of us.

The Suns would have to trade Ricky Rubio if they did it.

Maybe the Suns express interest but let the Knicks and Pistons chase after him and let one of them spend a huge chunk of their money.

Admittedly VanVleet would fit nicely in a Suns uniform.

One thing for sure, the Suns have to make the playoffs next season and we know why.

One question has to be asked, do the Suns have any better options via trade or free agency?

VanVleet turns 27 in February.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose