Free Agency 2018

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I know @Mr. Boldin was a Clippers fan and seemed to share some insight into some of their moves but he hasn't been around for a little while. I was hoping he'd comment regarding the recent talk of how they currently have 6 PG's but he hasn't posted since FA started on July 1st.

The Clippers resigned Avery Bradley also. They don't seem to be tanking or building a contender, just content with being middle of the pack. Jerry West was brought in when they demoted Doc Rivers from the GM position but other than shedding Blake Griffin's contract they haven't really made any good moves. They haven't made many bad ones either but there have been a few questionable moves that could be seen as bad like the Gortat deal but I guess they could do worse.

Ballmer wants to stay competing. The FO is under orders to maintain roster and cap flexibility. Kawhi has long been the goal for next summer.

The Clippers are deep with talent, and will make a push for a playoff spot, although I think they fall just short again barring some unforeseen moves prior to the deadline, not to mention the end of camp. They likely end up waiving or trading Dekker and Evans, but still need to trade one more guy, as they are sitting at 18 players (including Beverley and Williams' non-guaranteed deals).

Regarding their moves, they locked Lou Williams into a great extension, just inked Harrell to a good 2/$12 mil deal, Tobias turned down what would have been another steal of an extension (although that was expected), and while I am not the biggest Bradley fan, that was another good contract.

As I have been saying, the plan has always been the summer of 2019 and the Clippers are in prime position to strike.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ballmer wants to stay competing. The FO is under orders to maintain roster and cap flexibility. Kawhi has long been the goal for next summer.

The Clippers are deep with talent, and will make a push for a playoff spot, although I think they fall just short again barring some unforeseen moves prior to the deadline, not to mention the end of camp. They likely end up waiving or trading Dekker and Evans, but still need to trade one more guy, as they are sitting at 18 players (including Beverley and Williams' non-guaranteed deals).

Regarding their moves, they locked Lou Williams into a great extension, just inked Harrell to a good 2/$12 mil deal, Tobias turned down what would have been another steal of an extension (although that was expected), and while I am not the biggest Bradley fan, that was another good contract.

As I have been saying, the plan has always been the summer of 2019 and the Clippers are in prime position to strike.
I think Kahwi is a real possibility for them. He wants to be in LA, but not under LeBron's shadow. The Clippers are the only way to do that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the Suns were not done but they might be now. I mean, clearing cap space seems to be a deliberate thing.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I think Kahwi is a real possibility for them. He wants to be in LA, but not under LeBron's shadow. The Clippers are the only way to do that.

They have been on him for well over a year. If Kawhi signs, it will be interesting to see who else comes into the picture via free agency.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Appreciate your insight. The Clippers have been talked about a good bit because of the desire of a lot of posters here for the Suns to add either Beverly or Teodosic. Once the guarantee date past though I thought chances were slim, unless the Suns part with something of value. I'm not in favor of trading any asset other than Daniels for either one of them though. I know Daniels isn't much of an asset but he could be used by a team in need of shooting.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lavar
Rondo
Stephenson
McGee
Beasley

This is someone’s insidious plot to drive lebron to retirement.

No Lebron is definitely signing on for these guys. Magic said as much last week, that they are basically asking Lebron on all of these moves.

Looking at Cleveland's roster and it wasn't exactly a well guarded secret that Lebron had a hand in all their signings. As good as Lebron has been, talent evaluation might be his biggest weakness as a player. He just loads up rosters with his buddies who usually have more than one fatal flaw.

I think the Lakers make the playoffs fairly easily, but is this a team that can take down the champs? I don't think so and unless they purge all these bozos after year one, I think it may discourage other players from coming to LA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No Lebron is definitely signing on for these guys. Magic said as much last week, that they are basically asking Lebron on all of these moves.

Looking at Cleveland's roster and it wasn't exactly a well guarded secret that Lebron had a hand in all their signings. As good as Lebron has been, talent evaluation might be his biggest weakness as a player. He just loads up rosters with his buddies who usually have more than one fatal flaw.

I think the Lakers make the playoffs fairly easily, but is this a team that can take down the champs? I don't think so and unless they purge all these bozos after year one, I think it may discourage other players from coming to LA.
I was joking. But I’m not joking about the fact that such a collection of headcases is going to make for a circus. I could see lance Stephenson head butting Lavar

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was joking. But I’m not joking about the fact that such a collection of headcases is going to make for a circus. I could see lance Stephenson head butting Lavar

Predicting doom and gloom for that team is pretty easy but what if each of those guys finally puts it all together? They've brought in a collection of players whose names have always been bigger than their games but what if they turn that around? Extremely long odds against it happening but they could be the next super team if they play to their potential. Otherwise, even with Lebron, they are just another team that can't compete with the Warriors so the gamble makes sense (to me).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Predicting doom and gloom for that team is pretty easy but what if each of those guys finally puts it all together? They've brought in a collection of players whose names have always been bigger than their games but what if they turn that around? Extremely long odds against it happening but they could be the next super team if they play to their potential. Otherwise, even with Lebron, they are just another team that can't compete with the Warriors so the gamble makes sense (to me).
They could be a super team? Uh sorry I ain’t buying that. They are each too flawed individually and in the head.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When I look at the Lakers the only thing I think of is NOT wanting Lebron as a future owner/GM.

This may make Isaiah Thomas look like Jerry West.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When I look at the Lakers the only thing I think of is NOT wanting Lebron as a future owner/GM.

Is that any worse than Jared Dudley wanting to be the Suns GM? ;-)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

God he builds crap teams doesn't he. It's like the only way Klutch Sports guys get paid is by lebron having his team pay em

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anthony signing with the Rockets actually hurt their odds of winning a championship according to CBS Sports.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
And science is not a belief, for all you dinosaurs in the bible and flat earthers out there.

Too bad injury got Paul this year. Would be exciting to see the last games of Warriors vs Rockets with healthy squads, and someone else than Warriors vs LeBron in the finals.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like this summer has been a disaster for the Rockets. They lost some key role players, their not young roster got a year older and their only addition runs afoul of their entire philosophy and has been a detriment for years.

When Anthony finds himself behind PJ Tucker in the rotation, which shouldn't take long unless Anthony got a lobotomy during the offseason, things are going to get real ugly.

I'm not one of D'Antoni's banner men but I think he's going to get screwed in all this. Anthony won't fit in at all, the Rockets are not going to be as good as last year and Anthony and some talking heads and probably some notable stars will blame the coaches for "not knowing how to use the talent".

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like this summer has been a disaster for the Rockets. They lost some key role players, their not young roster got a year older and their only addition runs afoul of their entire philosophy and has been a detriment for years.

When Anthony finds himself behind PJ Tucker in the rotation, which shouldn't take long unless Anthony got a lobotomy during the offseason, things are going to get real ugly.

I'm not one of D'Antoni's banner men but I think he's going to get screwed in all this. Anthony won't fit in at all, the Rockets are not going to be as good as last year and Anthony and some talking heads and probably some notable stars will blame the coaches for "not knowing how to use the talent".

If Anthony was going from the Knicks to the Rockets then I could see that happening but since he had a bad year in OKC where it was evident he was the piece that didn't fit and the idea that he can be a key player on a winning team basically disappear, I think D'Antoni will weather the storm. He's dealt with Anthony before and this isn't New York. He's got an established system in Houston and they already let Dwight go because of him. They're not going to let recently waived Carmelo drive him out of town.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Granted it's China but pretty good deal $$ wise for DWade at this point in his career.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns castoffs seem to be finding new hopes. Hopefully it's a small sign of improvement.

I liked House. Unfortunately the Suns did not have room and are flooded with wings.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard