Free Agency 2018

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the thing, he doesn’t. He turned down trading Bledsoe and #4 for Kyrie.

It's a valid argument.

The Suns would have likely had to give up Bledsoe, Josh Jackson and something more like the Miami pick or Bender.

One has to wonder if Irving would have been happy in Phoenix though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When he packs his bags and goes back to being as Assistant. Yup! :)

If McDonough leaves the Suns he will be snatched up by another team as a GM. Count on it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but you're still willing to give him another shot at GM. Sigh.

Jesus, you act like the posters here have a say in whether McD retains his job. Everyone knows you want him fired, that isn't lost on anyone. However you're not going to change anyones mind by rephrasing that whenever he's mentioned. Even if other people agree with you, it's not going to actually change what happens because Sarver isn't looking at this board for advice.

There's no need for you to respond to literally every single post where McD is mentioned with your negative views on him.You're not stating reasons anymore either, you're just calling for his job. Others believe he should be kept through the summer to spend the assets he's acquired to try and right the ship rather than bringing in someone new to start all over again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good. that would be one team we could count on beating in the future.

I would be expecting something like the Kerr effect.

McDonough goes elsewhere only to become a top GM.

David Griffin may want to come back home. :p

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What in his history could possibly convince you of that?

Again, wait until the draft, trades and free agency this summer.

The Suns have money this summer (only a handful of teams do) to sign free agents.

Hopefully they get a quality player or two in the draft.

Then they use their draft assets to pull off a key trade.

The stars are aligning.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, Kerr is a Coach, not a GM. There is a big difference.

Only used the term "Kerr effect" to point out how Kerr improved when he left the Suns and McDonough would improve if he left the Suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Only used the term "Kerr effect" to point out how Kerr improved when he left the Suns and McDonough would improve if he left the Suns.
Understood, but Kerr did not succeed elsewhere as in the job he failed here. I don't think McDonough would be named Head Coach elsewhere when he leaves here. Or General Manager. Just as Jeff Hornacek (and with the same introverted personality), he appears to be a lifetime Assistant. Not the guy at the top, on or off the court. 'Same with Bryan Colangelo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus, you act like the posters here have a say in whether McD retains his job. Everyone knows you want him fired, that isn't lost on anyone. However you're not going to change anyones mind by rephrasing that whenever he's mentioned. Even if other people agree with you, it's not going to actually change what happens because Sarver isn't looking at this board for advice.

There's no need for you to respond to literally every single post where McD is mentioned with your negative views on him.You're not stating reasons anymore either, you're just calling for his job. Others believe he should be kept through the summer to spend the assets he's acquired to try and right the ship rather than bringing in someone new to start all over again.

Put me on ignore if what I say bothers you so much.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kerr took over a team that got bounced in the first round before he came, had a pretty bad first year as GM and then in his second year, got the team to the WCF.

McD took over the team when it was awful. Had a surprisingly good first year and four awful years that followed.

Hard to see any correlation here. Kerr showed he and the team got better as the job went on. McD and the team have gotten worse as the job’s gone on.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambo mentioned yesterday that PHX will go after Gordon this summer and that Chriss will be dealt even if he plays well this last part of the season.

To be honest if LA would have taken MIL pick for Randle I would have done it, kind of like the Payton audition. We would have been able to retain him if he played well because he’s a RFA.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What in his history could possibly convince you of that?

I know the reefer references are coming but I will make my case here one more time and be done.

Bledsoe trade with Clips.
Payton trade with Orlando. That was an incredible heist.
Booker pick.
TJ Warren pick.
Dragon trade with Miami. Two first round picks for a player that was leaving anyway.
Cap discipline when everyone else was throwing away money on horrible contracts. We have not had horrible contracts. We could easily be in salary cap hell right now with huge commitments to an Omer Asik or Luol Deng.
Even the Scola trade with Indiana was excellent.
McDaniels trade with Memphis that also netted us Payton.
I guess none of that counts.

Rebuilding is like sausage making. It requires you make a mess and lose in order to build something. This team has only been rebuilding for about two years. I know he has made some mistakes too. But every GM does.

Listen. I am not a blind homer. I wanted Lance Blanks gone almost from day one. I wanted to keep Gentry and hated Hunter. I was calling for Watson’s head at the start of this season. But if you cannot see how this summer is now set up to take the next step in rebuilding I just do not know what to say.

We are set to get a top pick in one of th best drafts ever. We have other picks and resources. I just hope that Sarver is not as impatient as you all are. This would not be a good time to make a GM change. It is pretty clear that this is exactly the plan that McD and Sarver agreed on together. After all, the timeline term came from comments made by Sarver in an interview about targeting 2020 to be really competitive.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr took over a team that got bounced in the first round before he came, had a pretty bad first year as GM and then in his second year, got the team to the WCF.

McD took over the team when it was awful. Had a surprisingly good first year and four awful years that followed.

Hard to see any correlation here. Kerr showed he and the team got better as the job went on. McD and the team have gotten worse as the job’s gone on.

McDonough took over an awful Suns team. We agree on that.

Let's not forget Kerr inherited a team with Nash and Amare. Even Marion was on the team before he was traded.

My point about Kerr and McDonough, I think McDonough will be highly successful if he leaves the Suns like Kerr. Obviously they served different roles.

There was a huge difference in talent between the team Kerr inherited and the one McDonough inherited.

I want to give McDonough until next season to improve the team before passing judgement.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Again, wait until the draft, trades and free agency this summer.

The Suns have money this summer (only a handful of teams do) to sign free agents.

Hopefully they get a quality player or two in the draft.

Then they use their draft assets to pull off a key trade.

The stars are aligning.
LaMarcus Aldridge says hi. How many times does the guy have to fail before you stop giving him free passes?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood, but Kerr did not succeed elsewhere as in the job he failed here. I don't think McDonough would be named Head Coach elsewhere when he leaves here. Or General Manager. Just as Jeff Hornacek (and with the same introverted personality), he appears to be a lifetime Assistant. Not the guy at the top, on or off the court. 'Same with Bryan Colangelo.

My point is I believe McDonough will be successful if he leaves the Suns much like Kerr. I was not trying to compare roles because they have different positions.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know the reefer references are coming but I will make my case here one more time and be done.

Bledsoe trade with Clips.
Payton trade with Orlando. That was an incredible heist.
Booker pick.
TJ Warren pick.
Dragon trade with Miami. Two first round picks for a player that was leaving anyway.
Cap discipline when everyone else was throwing away money on horrible contracts. We have not had horrible contracts. We could easily be in salary cap hell right now with huge commitments to an Omer Asik or Luol Deng.
Even the Scola trade with Indiana was excellent.
McDaniels trade with Memphis that also netted us Payton.
I guess none of that counts.

Rebuilding is like sausage making. It requires you make a mess and lose in order to build something. This team has only been rebuilding for about two years. I know he has made some mistakes too. But every GM does.

Listen. I am not a blind homer. I wanted Lance Blanks gone almost from day one. I wanted to keep Gentry and hated Hunter. I was calling for Watson’s head at the start of this season. But if you cannot see how this summer is now set up to take the next step in rebuilding I just do not know what to say.

We are set to get a top pick in one of th best drafts ever. We have other picks and resources. I just hope that Sarver is not as impatient as you all are. This would not be a good time to make a GM change. It is pretty clear that this is exactly the plan that McD and Sarver agreed on together. After all, the timeline term came from comments made by Sarver in an interview about targeting 2020 to be really competitive.
Nobody, not even cheese, is saying he hasn't had successes. A broken clock is right twice a day, after all.

Yes, we are set to get a top pick. And while I like Bender, he and Alex Len (and to a lesser extent Josh Jackson) prove that McD isn't the best at drafting high.

And just FYI, #timeline actually was coined by Greg Esposito after an reporter mentioned the word timeline in an article about the Suns.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gambo mentioned yesterday that PHX will go after Gordon this summer and that Chriss will be dealt even if he plays well this last part of the season.

To be honest if LA would have taken MIL pick for Randle I would have done it, kind of like the Payton audition. We would have been able to retain him if he played well because he’s a RFA.

He was thinking chriss would be dealt, not reporting. Chriss is only making 3 million next year and is 20 years old, it would be dumb to just trade him. Even if you upgrade at pf, he can be a bench player, and you can patiently wait to see if he develops.

Orlando gave up on oladipo because he didn't develop quick enough. they though hezonja was a bust (5th pick in 2015) so they didn't even exercise his team option, now he is an unrestricted free agent this summer as he is showing signs of being a solid player (17 ppg, 6 rpg in feb). No reason to just give up on 20-21 year olds.

Btw, anyone crunch the math? Suns are going to have to move knight or chandler to get a 25 million dollar cap slot. KNight is not tradeable, are they counting on attaching a first round pick (milwaukee pick) to chandler and hope a team takes it?

I like the idea of gordon, i also think jabari parker is a beast, if milwaukee is hesitant to give him a max, I'm going after him in a second.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was thinking chriss would be dealt, not reporting. Chriss is only making 3 million next year and is 20 years old, it would be dumb to just trade him. Even if you upgrade at pf, he can be a bench player, and you can patiently wait to see if he develops.

Orlando gave up on oladipo because he didn't develop quick enough. they though hezonja was a bust (5th pick in 2015) so they didn't even exercise his team option, now he is an unrestricted free agent this summer as he is showing signs of being a solid player (17 ppg, 6 rpg in feb). No reason to just give up on 20-21 year olds.

Btw, anyone crunch the math? Suns are going to have to move knight or chandler to get a 25 million dollar cap slot. KNight is not tradeable, are they counting on attaching a first round pick (milwaukee pick) to chandler and hope a team takes it?

I like the idea of gordon, i also think jabari parker is a beast, if milwaukee is hesitant to give him a max, I'm going after him in a second.
Gordon in Houston? Hmm I’m not sure I understand that move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LaMarcus Aldridge says hi. How many times does the guy have to fail before you stop giving him free passes?

I won't even tell you what he said about you. :D

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gordon and jabari both fit perfextly.

They Are 22, so they fit the timeline. And play power forward, which works if we are drafting someone who will spend a lot of time at center.

Bender/Chriss can continue developing off the bench, if one becomes a really good player who needs to be a starter, that is a good problem to have.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also add Tobias Harris, Elfrid Payton and probably another player I can't think of to the Orlando list.

The Suns can buy out Knight if necessary and prorate his salary.

Maybe the Suns trade Dudley or Chandler and use it as filler in a trade for a player with draft picks. They are expiring contracts.

Daniels has trade value as well. I'd like to keep Alan Williams but he is also tradeable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard