For Us Older Long Suffering Suns' Fans

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pistol Pete at LSU was first class entertainment. Although the pistol could shoot the ball, his passing was amazing.
Back then we were lucky to get a few of his highlights on Wide World of Sports, we didn't get too many LSU or New Orleans Jazz games in Phoenix.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Back then we were lucky to get a few of his highlights on Wide World of Sports, we didn't get too many LSU or New Orleans Jazz games in Phoenix.
I was a kid in Tulsa at the time. LSU tigers would play mainly night games. At night I could pickup a faint AM broadcast. There was so much excitement in the broadcast it made it tough to sleep afterwards:)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My earliest Suns memory was the 1990 NBA playoffs. I was 7. We beat the Jazz in the first round and then throttled the #1 seeded Lakers 4-1 in the semis. I believe that game 4 win was Al's best call. Sadly we lost to the Blazer in the WCFs, but I was hooked after that.

I was emotionally destroyed for a couple weeks after our Finals loss to the Bulls and again with our subsequent losses to the Rockets in the following 2 seasons. We captured some of that magic in SSOL, but couldn't get over the ****. I will cry if the Suns can win it all.

edit: h u m p is censored. good lord.!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It was huge getting our first major professional sports franchise in 1968. I was 16 and was starved for local sports. 76 and 93 finals were huge. Here we are again. We need to win this thing, I'm not getting any younger.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns did their homework on Bedford and couldn't believe their good fortune when he was there at #6.
I can remember that bonehead pick by the Suns like it was yesterday. I have never forgot it, it was just such a stupid move.

They had done their homework just fine for weeks and were all set up to take Ron Harper who was a real stud. Then, like complete dummies, and with the rest of the league GMs probably laughing their rears off, the Suns take Bedford, not questioning why those ahead of them were suddenly passing on him. What chumps I felt we were the moment they did that. And then the drug problems began and the Suns hit rock bottom.

Harper goes on to play over 1000 games, had a career where he won 5 championship rings, and averaged over 20 points per game over his first 10 years.
1,009 games, 13,910 points, 4,309 rebounds, 3,916 assists, 1,716 steals, 729 blocks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can remember that bonehead pick by the Suns like it was yesterday. I have never forgot it, it was just such a stupid move.

They had done their homework just fine for weeks and were all set up to take Ron Harper who was a real stud. Then, like complete dummies, and with the rest of the league GMs probably laughing their rears off, the Suns take Bedford, not questioning why those ahead of them were suddenly passing on him. What chumps I felt we were the moment they did that. And then the drug problems began and the Suns hit rock bottom.

Harper goes on to play over 1000 games, had a career where he won 5 championship rings, and averaged over 20 points per game over his first 10 years.
1,009 games, 13,910 points, 4,309 rebounds, 3,916 assists, 1,716 steals, 729 blocks.

The Suns should have known there was a reason Bedford fell in the draft.

Ron Harper would have been an excellent choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose