For Us Older Long Suffering Suns' Fans

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
How do you expect you will feel if the Suns, after all these years, finally win the Championship?.

I go all the way back to the Connie Hawkins days, still feel the Boston/Phoenix game 5 in the '76 finals is the best game ever played, and have often felt I would never see it happen. So if Hell doesn't freeze over, I guess I should be ready for Death's visit shortly afterwards.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Basketball has always been my favorite sport and the Suns have always been my team.

I can guarantee that I'll have shed some tears by the time the finals are over.

I cried when they lost in 93 and I'll cry again this go around but I hope and pray that they're tears of joy. Even if they aren't, I'm glad this team has crawled out of obscurity and made so many people care again.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yep, been there almost from the very beginning. I mean I was alive for the beginning but my earliest conscious memories were from the 1975-76 season which went all the way to the NBA Finals. I can still hear Al McCoy's call, "Somebody up there is on our side!" I recall jumping up and down for joy when Heard hit the 1 second miracle rainbow while I was in my parents den with long red **** carpet.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I became a Suns fan when I moved to Arizona in 1982. I won't forget after the Suns drafted William Bedford, Lee Hamilton from KTAR got me so excited about the Suns future when he talked about them having a skyline of Bedford and Edwards. Then the drug scandal hit and that was a big blow. There have been many more big blows this team has taken since, and if they do actually win it all, I honestly do not know how I will feel. I do know I will be most happy for Al McCoy.
Finally, I have not bought any Suns NBA Final t-shirts or hats. I did that in '93 and figured I jinxed them. I did however buy a Valley Oop t-shirt. :)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep, been there almost from the very beginning. I mean I was alive for the beginning but my earliest conscious memories were from the 1975-76 season which went all the way to the NBA Finals. I can still hear Al McCoy's call, "Somebody up there is on our side!" I recall jumping up and down for joy when Heard hit the 1 second miracle rainbow while I was in my parents den with long red **** carpet.

This is precisely me, except I was born in 1972, as opposed to 1968 or 1969, and my parents' "s h a g" carpet was dark brown.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up a baseball fan (with no local team) but my first real sports love was ASU football. But that day in early 1968 when they announced we were getting an NBA franchise is one of my favorite memories. It felt like Christmas was extended an extra few weeks. I enjoyed following (mostly listening on the radio) during the early days but that run to the finals in 76 took me from interested to committed fan.

I'm not sure how hard it will hit me if we manage to win 4 more games this offseason but I think more than anything I'll be glad to get rid of that reputation as a team that can never win it all. We've already moved past (at least amongst us fans) from the reputation of a team that never plays defense so it would be great to complete the deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I became a Suns fan when I moved to Arizona in 1982. I won't forget after the Suns drafted William Bedford, Lee Hamilton from KTAR got me so excited about the Suns future when he talked about them having a skyline of Bedford and Edwards. Then the drug scandal hit and that was a big blow. There have been many more big blows this team has taken since, and if they do actually win it all, I honestly do not know how I will feel. I do know I will be most happy for Al McCoy.
Finally, I have not bought any Suns NBA Final t-shirts or hats. I did that in '93 and figured I jinxed them. I did however buy a Valley Oop t-shirt. :)

I don't think the Suns did their homework on Bedford and couldn't believe their good fortune when he was there at #6.

Superbone

Reaction score
I don't think the Suns did their homework on Bedford and couldn't believe their good fortune when he was there at #6.
Yeah, what a bust he was. That was horrible. It took until Ayton to finally get a top tier center.

Last edited:

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I moved here from CA in 89. Hated the Lakers. Naturally I was drawn to KJ and Chambers right off the bat. Have been with them every year since.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Those of us who remember when the Suns were Phoenix's only professional sports team.

Unfortunately, we've inherited the Cubs mantle as the pro sports franchise that can't seem to get a break or do anything right when it comes to winning the big one. Hopefully, this is the year we shake that image.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what a bust he was. That was horrible. It took until Ayton to finally got a top tier center.

This is true. It's been a journey for sure.

I guess Marcin Gortat doesn't count. The Suns drafted him and then traded the pick. :(

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Those of us who remember when the Suns were Phoenix's only professional sports team.

Unfortunately, we've inherited the Cubs mantle as the pro sports franchise that can't seem to get a break or do anything right when it comes to winning the big one. Hopefully, this is the year we shake that image.

Well, we DID have the Phoenix Giants...

;-)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is true. It's been a journey for sure.

I guess Marcin Gortat doesn't count. The Suns drafted him and then traded the pick. :(

It was strange seeing Alvan Adams make the All-Star team at Center even though he wasn't anything close to a Center in the traditional sense...

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For me it would be emotional. Im 32 and watched every game as a kid growing up with tantrums after losses. I sort of wish they would have made this run when i was a kid as its your whole world at that age; means so much more. Just because of the 100000 games ive watched and all the memories, it would be a really nice thing.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
basketball was the only sport i wanted to play as a kid in N.Y.. I didn't follow the NBA until the Knicks championship runs (they played amazing defense) and i was on board for the Julius Erving ABA run with the Nets (all offense).

the only other team i rooted for during those years was the Phoenix Suns during their run with Alvin Adams. i watched on a small black and white tv with bad reception in our basement.

i fondly remember
* the ABA red, white, and blue ball
* the nbc theme song
* the one-on-one competitions at half-time
* the half-time farewell tributes in each city during Dave Debusschere's final year (he was loved by both friends and foes)

i was fortunate to live in LA during the Magic runs. I attended an LA vs Phx playoff game and was so impressed with the Suns that they became my 2nd favorite. soon after i moved here, Magic retired and it was Suns all the way.

Brian Colangelo gave my brother and sister-in-law his seats for the tragic game 6 vs the Bulls.
the other most unforgettable regrettable was the 1972 Russia upset of USA in the Olympics (which triggered the NBA to participate)

smart point guards were always my favorites.
in order:
Magic
Nash
CP3
Kidd
KJ
Walt Frazier
even Marbury was my favorite Suns player at the time

i have limited memories of Pistol Pete

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I started going to Suns games around 1980 when I was 5 and went to probably at least 90% of the games between 1980-1994. Since then I have probably watched at least 90% of the games on TV. If we finally win, for me it will be a sense of relief. Don’t get me wrong, I will be super happy, but the relief of finally seeing the Suns win a title in my lifetime, as well as no longer being “that team” who has never won a championship will be like an unburdening of sorts. I think once we win a title I will be able to enjoy watching the Suns on a different level, without a lifetime of built up anticipation of getting that first title.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was strange seeing Alvan Adams make the All-Star team at Center even though he wasn't anything close to a Center in the traditional sense...

I should have mentioned Alvan Adams at center.

Although undersized he played the position and played it well.

Superbone

Reaction score
I should have mentioned Alvan Adams at center.

Although undersized he played the position and played it well.
Neal Walk was before my time of consciously watching but he had two great double double stat years. Then Adams. Then probably Mark West as our next best center. What could have been of Nick Vanos. And then Ayton. So many busts over the years too. Bedford, Rich Kelley, Luc Longley come to mind. Kelly was a decent player but not really a great center. We also had journeyman centers Dennis Awtry and Joe Klein.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
basketball was the only sport i wanted to play as a kid in N.Y.. I didn't follow the NBA until the Knicks championship runs (they played amazing defense) and i was on board for the Julius Erving ABA run with the Nets (all offense).

the only other team i rooted for during those years was the Phoenix Suns during their run with Alvin Adams. i watched on a small black and white tv with bad reception in our basement.

i fondly remember
* the ABA red, white, and blue ball
* the nbc theme song
* the one-on-one competitions at half-time
* the half-time farewell tributes in each city during Dave Debusschere's final year (he was loved by both friends and foes)

i was fortunate to live in LA during the Magic runs. I attended an LA vs Phx playoff game and was so impressed with the Suns that they became my 2nd favorite. soon after i moved here, Magic retired and it was Suns all the way.

Brian Colangelo gave my brother and sister-in-law his seats for the tragic game 6 vs the Bulls.
the other most unforgettable regrettable was the 1972 Russia upset of USA in the Olympics (which triggered the NBA to participate)

smart point guards were always my favorites.
in order:
Magic
Nash
CP3
Kidd
KJ
Walt Frazier
even Marbury was my favorite Suns player at the time

i have limited memories of Pistol Pete
Pistol Pete at LSU was first class entertainment. Although the pistol could shoot the ball, his passing was amazing.