For the Less Informed: Draft Needs

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The amount of time put into football by some people on this board should be recognized. Not in a nasty way either. I have done it for years, and for some reason the team and role aspects of football make it very fun for some people to go over players, and fit them into a team's scheme, etc., etc., etc.

It takes a good chunk of time. Thus those who continue to do this, you have my respect and appreciation posting your work and allowing others comment without feeling you are OWED some type of respect for doing do (take a note Mitch).

Its like writing a report for free, for your company, allowing them to comment on it, and literally call you crazy for what you did. But, it is what it is, in truth.

So, I cannot post a mock, or a breakdown. Way too busy this year. Got a new job in the city, and a new routine, and ........well, there are a lot of nice women in the city as well, LOL! #ImnotaplayerIjustcrushalot

So, the question I give to EVERYONE, is post what you think our needs in the draft will be. Post it, even if you do not know a thing about the draft. What do you think we need to look for, if anything specific?

Current Roster (58 players)

QB:
Kyler Murray
Drew Anderson
Chris Streveler

RB:
Kenyan Drake
Chase Edmonds

WR:
DeAndre Hopkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Christian Kirk
KeeSean Johnson
Trent Sherfield
Andy Isabella
Hakeem Butler
A.J. Richardson
Johnnie Dixon

TE:
Maxx Williams
Dan Arnold
Darrell Daniels

OL:
DJ Humphries
Justin Pugh
Mason Cole
J.R. Sweezy
Justin Murray
Lamont Gallard
Joshua Miles
Brett Toth

DL:
Corey Peters
Jordan Phillips
Zach Allen
Michael Dogbe
Miles Brown
Lyndon Johnson

OLB:
Chandler Jones
Devon Kennard
Haason Reddick
Vontarrius Dora
Kylie Fitts

ILB:
Jordan Hicks
DeVondre Campbell
Tanner Vallejo
Dennis Gardeck
Keishawn Bierra
Zeke Turner

CB:
Patrick Peterson
Robert Alford
Byron Murphy
Chris Jones
Jalen Davis
Sam Jones
Andre Chachere
Duke Thomas
Sojourn Shelton

S:
Budda Baker
Deionte Thompson
Jalen Thompson

K:
Zane Gonzalez

P:
Andy Lee
Ryan Winslow

LS:
Aaron Brewer

Current Draft Picks for 2020: 7 Picks total
Round 1 - #8
Round 3 - #72
Round 4 - #114
Round 4 - #131
Round 5 - #154
Round 6 - #202
Round 7 - #222

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I would love to know the staffs real assessment of :

Dogbe. Potential there as a rotation player?

Cole. Is not signing AQ a sign they are ready to turn C over to him, or, is it more $ motivated?

Gallard. Same

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
First things first.

1. I think the Cardinals try to trade down. A team is going to need a QB, and they will trade up for the #8 spot.

2. I personally think it will be a blessing in disguise if they do not trade down. Steve Keim, and I have ALWAYS said this, does his damage in free agency and through trades. He is HORRIBLE at the draft. Less picks higher up for this guy the better. Especially this year where he has done so much good.

Here are my draft needs in order of priority:

1. Right Tackle
2. Safety (3rd string/upgrade)
3. Running Back (3rd string)
4. Defensive Line (depth)
5. Tight End (depth/upgrade)
6. Offensive Guard (depth)
7. Backup Quarterback (if opportunity is there)

What are yours ?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Definitely need a RB now.

100% agreed, and it will be fun to see who they are looking at, since I feel they have a good pair in Drake and Edmonds at the moment.

I would love to know the staffs real assessment of :

Dogbe. Potential there as a rotation player?

Cole. Is not signing AQ a sign they are ready to turn C over to him, or, is it more $ motivated?

Gallard. Same

Dogbe looks the part, but we will see with his development. Yet, even if he works out, there is still a need for depth there.

Cole and Gallard are players that I cannot agree enough with you on this. What do they bring to the table? Cole can play guard and center, and Gallard we need to see if he can hold up at guard in the NFL. Show me that Gallard can play some guard, and I would take it off the list of needs.

The problem with all three is the Rob Housler effect. I understand that when you are a writer for the team website you have to have propaganda pieces but the Rob Housler situation has made it so those propaganda piece are easy to identify and ignore.

Until they do it on the field, it means nothing. So, a player like Gallard, that "I have heard good things about" you cannot count on it.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Chris Jones in the final 2 games of the last season
Probably he was better then Murphy playing in the outside

A running back can be taken in round 6

I would go with the first 4 picks with the following positions

OT a true starter ( wills/ Wirfs)
OLB depth behind Kennard and Jones (Alton Robinson or darrel Taylor in round 4)
ILB (Campbell 1 year deal)
OG replacement for Sweezy

The defensive line need another piece
Would love Shelby Harris or Suh there

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are my draft needs in order of priority:

1. Right Tackle
2. Running Back
3. Defensive Line
4. Inside Linebacker
6. Offensive Guard
7. D-back(s)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Two biggest areas for improvement are DL and OL.

OL:
DJ Humphries - mediocre starter on basically a 2 year deal/getting paid top 5 LT money
Justin Pugh - average G with a contract you can't get rid of until 2021 or 2022
Mason Cole- average C (hope he starts over AQ)
J.R. Sweezy - average G who has 1 year left on his deal
Justin Murray - average RT who is under team control for next 2 years

DL:
Corey Peters - getting older with 1 year left on contract
Jordan Phillips - 10m/year guy who is huge but inconsistent
Zach Allen - rookie with 4 games under belt?
Michael Dogbe - 7th round pick
Miles Brown - undrafted FA
Lyndon Johnson - who? 36th President? :)

WR and RB for depth/future.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Would like to see the following:

1. Wirfs
3. Muti
4a. Shinn
4b. Dye

if we can pick up a RB and DT in 6th or 7th then ok. If no, FA will provide low cost depth.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two biggest areas for improvement are DL and OL.

OL:
DJ Humphries - mediocre starter on basically a 2 year deal/getting paid top 5 LT money
Justin Pugh - average G with a contract you can't get rid of until 2021 or 2022
Mason Cole- average C (hope he starts over AQ)
J.R. Sweezy - average G who has 1 year left on his deal
Justin Murray - average RT who is under team control for next 2 years

DL:
Corey Peters - getting older with 1 year left on contract
Jordan Phillips - 10m/year guy who is huge but inconsistent
Zach Allen - rookie with 4 games under belt?
Michael Dogbe - 7th round pick
Miles Brown - undrafted FA
Lyndon Johnson - who? 36th President? :)

WR and RB for depth/future.

DJ a "mediocre" starter and Murray an "average" RT.

Clearly, definitions have lost all meaning.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
DJ a "mediocre" starter and Murray an "average" RT.

Clearly, definitions have lost all meaning.

Humphries (top 15 LT maybe) - 30 pressures, 13 penalties, and mediocre run blocking. Thankfully, we have a mobile QB and an offense that gets the ball out quickly (which contributed to his low sack total of 2). But...he is one of the 5 LT's in pay. Smart thing by the Cardinals to not commit to him long term. Way under performing his pay.

Having a good time watching the condensed games from last year. Justin Murray actually played good at the end of the season. Good movement to 2nd level/outside runs. I wouldn't count on him for any pro bowls or dominant games but he won't hurt you much either. Average and out performing his pay.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Depth draft figures to be
RB
OL
DL
S

Expect the backup QB to be a free agent.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. DL
2. OT
3. RB
4. ILB
5. S
6. G/C
7. KR
8. OLB

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries (top 15 LT maybe) - 30 pressure, 13 penalties, and mediocre run blocking. Thankfully, we have a mobile QB and an offense that gets the ball out quickly (which contributed to his low sack total of 2). Yes...he is one of the 5 LT's in pay. Smart thing by the Cardinals to not commit to him long term. Way under performing his pay.

Having a good time watching the condensed games from last year. Justin Murray actually played good at the end of the season. Good movement to 2nd level/outside runs. I wouldn't count on him for any pro bowls or dominant games but he won't hurt you much either. Average and out performing his pay.

Maybe you ought to review our running game to the left before suggesting that DJ is a mediocre run blocker.

All penalties are not equal when evaluating a player: DJ's few holding calls indicates good feet placement and hand use.

How can he underperform a pay he's yet to receive?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Maybe you ought to review our running game to the left before suggesting that DJ is a mediocre run blocker.

Pick a game where he dominated in the running game (in any direction). I would love to watch it.

I think he seems like a great guy and I am rooting for him but he is average.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pick a game where he dominated in the running game (in any direction). I would love to watch it.

I think he seems like a great guy and I am rooting for him but he is average.

Graduated from mediocre to average, all in the space of a few posts: progress!

Pick a game where our failure to run the ball effectively was directly attributable to his play and I'l watch it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Graduated from mediocre to average, all in the space of a few posts: progress!

Pick a game where our failure to run the ball effectively was directly attributable to his play and I'l watch it.

I am already re-watching all of the games on NFL Game Pass.

You disagree with me but you have no proof. Every game I have watched so far shows a mediocre/average LT. You can argue that I am incorrectly using mediocre/average but you won't be able to prove that I am wrong about his play.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am already re-watching all of the games on NFL Game Pass.

You disagree with me but you have no proof. Every game I have watched so far shows a mediocre/average LT. You can argue that I am incorrectly using mediocre/average but you won't be able to prove that I am wrong about his play.

You offer precisely "O' proof in support of your assertions beyond your subjective bias. He who asserts must prove, and if you were right, we'd be shopping for a L-T.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries (top 15 LT maybe) - 30 pressures, 13 penalties, and mediocre run blocking. Thankfully, we have a mobile QB and an offense that gets the ball out quickly (which contributed to his low sack total of 2). But...he is one of the 5 LT's in pay. Smart thing by the Cardinals to not commit to him long term. Way under performing his pay.

If we gonna judge Hump on stats from one season out of 5 then Jordan Philips is better than Aaron Donald

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The Cardinals average 6 ypc running to the left side of the formation. I'll take that mediocre run blocking lol.

Humphries wont be top 5 paid by next offseason.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Actually Edmonds is the only RB on the roster at this time. Yes Drake has the transition tag but that does not guarantee he stays. It only gives the Cardinals a right to match an offer by another team. If Drake isn't back then the RB POSITION IS DEPLETED! Everyone is assuming Drake will be back. There is no guarantee that is in the bag.