For all you old timers like me

efferman

Veteran
Reaction score
Loved Hart and Metcalf (avatar) too! Exciting offense and the team was fun to watch. Mel Gray was fast...track star in college.

That O-Line really helped Hart stay upright. I think that they set a record for least sacks in a year (7?). Also one year Otis and Metcalf both gained 1000 yards.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jackie Smith , my all time favorite Cardinal player.

P S;

James Warren Hart. Undrafted F A 1966 Southern Illinois University Carbondale Salukis.

Arizona Cardinals career leader in passing yards and passing touchdowns
Jackie Smith was great. It was tough to see him go to the Cowboys. As much as I despised Dallas, I felt sick for him when he dropped that easy pass in the end zone in a super bowl against the Steelers.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great memories of Jim Hart. When I was a young lad growing up in Southern Illinois my dad, brother, and I watched all the games. And when I say watched all the games I'm talking about taking a break from deer hunting and hooking up a 12" black and white t.v. to the truck battery to not miss a snap type of watching all the games.

Jim eventually became the Athletic Director at Southern Illinois University (mine and my wife's Alma Mater). When that occurred my mother was a legal secretary, one of the attorneys there (who later became a Federal Judge) knew Jim and also knew that I was a huge fan. He had Jim over at his house and my mom took my brother and I over to meet him. I took down the poster on my wall and had him autograph it; that's the poster in my avatar:)
You must be registered for see images attach

We stayed for quite some time, very nice guy. When of my favorite moments as a child.

The poster of course has been framed!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had the best offensive line in the history of the franchise (3 All-Pro worthy players in Dierdorf, Young and Dobler). WR Mel Gray and TE Jackie Smith were All Pro worthy as well. QB Jim Hart was fun to watch. He could spin it as well as anyone.

Don't forget Terry Metcalf. Could do it all. That line one year allowed 8 sacks of Jim Hart who really couldn't run at all. Amazing.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had the best offensive line in the history of the franchise (3 All-Pro worthy players in Dierdorf, Young and Dobler). WR Mel Gray and TE Jackie Smith were All Pro worthy as well. QB Jim Hart was fun to watch. He could spin it as well as anyone.

Jim Hart was about as mobile as Peyton Manning, which isn’t complimentary. And yet, that offensive line gave up 8 sacks the entire 1975 season. That was also during an era where the rules favored the defense. They were fun to watch, but the D never quite good enough for us to seriously contend for a SB.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This thread reminded me so much of my early fandom. Watching the Cards back in those days was so fun. Me, my dad and the Cards on Sundays when they were shown here (usually when they played the Cowboys).

Miss those days, well, mostly miss my dad.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
That’s how identify cardinals from yesteryears - all whites - in old old films - I’m sure it’s the cards and nobody else

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I remember Mac. BTW that was also one of the dirtiest O-lines in history.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
This thread reminded me so much of my early fandom. Watching the Cards back in those days was so fun. Me, my dad and the Cards on Sundays when they were shown here (usually when they played the Cowboys).

Miss those days, well, mostly miss my dad.
My story exactly the same :)

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
just FYI in case nobody knew, Jim "baby face" Hart finally takes his rightful place in the Big Red ROF this Sunday!!! And I don't think it's a coincidence its happens on the day the former Stl team visits the 1st Stl team lol

Longggggg overdue, Congrats Jimmy!!!

I just wish Michael would finally bring back these classic uni's though he we never do it:madarms::mulli:

Remember the cold days in the end zone at Busch Stadium watching him throw the ball to Mel Gray, Jackie Smith, and Terry Metcalf coming out of the backfield. What a great team. Thanks for posting Mike.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson