Florida Marlins @ Arizona Diamondbacks June 1 - June 3

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice win, glad to see we are back in first place. Rockies lost so we are 1 1/2 games ahead of them. Big series now in SanFrancisco.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

D-backs complete sweep, finish homestand 5-1 with win over Miami

PHOENIX — Are the Arizona Diamondbacks once again a good team? Or have they just beaten bad teams on this homestand?

Both are fair questions.

In winning two of three from Cincinnati and sweeping Miami, a pair of last place teams with even worse pitching staffs, the D-backs appeared to have righted the ship, especially offensively.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1549214/diamondbacks-sweep-miami-finish-homestand-5-1/

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Madison Bumgarner makes his season debut on Tuesday.
On a side note I don't usually like these names they come up for the players using their first 3 letters in their first name and the first 3 in their last name, but MADBUM is a classic name. I was puzzled why Carlos Gonzales was called CARGO instead of CARGON but maybe it could be considered a racist name to call a hispanic. I know that is not PC, but it crossed my mind and I am old enough I don't give a crap if it offends someone. It is just a simple observation.:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Diamondbacks' Matt Koch: Bounces back with strong start
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
Koch (4-3) picked up the win against the Marlins on Sunday, scattering three hits over seven strong innings without allowing a run, striking out six and walking none as the Diamondbacks prevailed 6-1.

Koch was knocked around for five runs on 11 hits in his last start against the Reds, but he bounced back nicely with this seven-inning shutout of Miami to bag his fourth win of the season. He's posted solid numbers since taking over the rotation spot for Taijuan Walker with a 3.76 ERA and 1.16 WHIP through 55 innings, and he seems to have secured the role with Walker out for the season due to Tommy John surgery. His 31:13 K:BB isn't eye-popping, but Koch holds some streaming appeal based on how he's pitched so far, particularly in favorable matchups.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Diamondbacks' David Peralta: Homers again against Marlins
Peralta went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and a double in Arizona's 6-1 victory over Miami on Sunday.

That's now three straight games with a long ball for the 30-year-old outfielder, who has come back to life after he had fallen into a slump following a hot start to the season. His OPS now sits at an even .800 through 202 at-bats, and he's been a decent source of power, as he now has 10 homers on the season after this recent binge.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First-place D-backs sweep to end homestand
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
It gets lost in the shuffle of a 6-1 game, but early on the Marlins did have a scoring chance against Koch that might have changed the way the game progressed. Brian Anderson started the second with a double off the center-field wall and moved to third when Derek Dietrich followed with a groundout. Koch, however, was able to retire Cameron Maybin and Miguel Rojas to keep the Marlins off the board.

"Matt Koch obviously had the big day today with seven innings," Lovullo said. "He did everything you could possibly ask in one outing. He was pounding the zone. I think it was one of those special days when he's feeling every single pitch and was able to execute the way he wanted to."
https://www.mlb.com/news/matt-koch-leads-d-backs-to-sweep-over-marlins/c-279663840

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Diamondbacks' Nick Ahmed: Smacks two hits, adds steal Sunday
Ahmed went 2-for-4 with a pair of runs and a stolen base in the Diamondbacks' 6-1 win over the Marlins on Sunday.

Ahmed has delivered three two-hit performances over his last eight games, but he has mostly been invisible in the other five contests, going 1-for-17. The shortstop's conscious effort to adjust his swing and sell out for power has already aided him to a career-high eight home runs, but the change has been detrimental to his batting average. He's hitting just .210 for the season, with a spike in his flyball rate contributing to a .231 BABIP that's 25 points below his career mark.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I went to the game on Saturday.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
On a side note I don't usually like these names they come up for the players using their first 3 letters in their first name and the first 3 in their last name, but MADBUM is a classic name. I was puzzled why Carlos Gonzales was called CARGO instead of CARGON but maybe it could be considered a racist name to call a hispanic. I know that is not PC, but it crossed my mind and I am old enough I don't give a crap if it offends someone. It is just a simple observation.:D
I know you wrote this tongue in cheek, but shouldn't it be more a case of what sounds better (and classier) than a hard and fast rule about about how many letters from the first name and how many from the last name?

MADBUM is classic, as you said. But, for example, so are GONZO and GOLDIE. I can't imagine Stan Musial being called STAMUS. Of course his nickname was Stan The Man (given to him by Brooklyn Dodgers fans who adored him).

As far as offending someone with a nickname, shouldn't it be only when deserved? Such as YASI P U, for peeing in our pool. Or, even better, just A**HOLE. :)

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I was not talking about nicknames per se, like Goldie and Gonzo but rather the trend towards using the first 3 letters of their name and the first 3 letters of their last name. There are dozens of them out there, just thought MADBUM was the best and CARGO should be CARGON.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson