FlashForward (ABC)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow Stout, you are so weird about all this :) Such hate.

Making fun of the robot sound? lol...who cares, you don't/didn't even know if it was a rebot or not, so how can you judge the sound?

Also, not thinking the acting was great is insane. It's a fact. It WAS great. The show has been up for Emmy's, the guy who plays Locke was up for one, the guy who plays Ben, etc.

I know you can have your own opinion and all, it's just weird how wrong you have it :)

:biglaugh: Wow! I guess if everyone likes something, it HAS to be good! Um, no, not really. It just means that they all like it. I'm sure that everyone that has ever been up for an Emmy has been a-list talent too, right? lol Sorry, Mike, you sound elitist and silly, even with your smilie. It can't be that you and TV land say one thing and I think another. I must be WRONG. Haha. Nope, I'm not wrong; I just have a different opinion. It's wrong to try to shove your smilied opinion up my viewership ;)

Stout

Reaction score
I don't care if you like it or not. What you failed to comprehend is that I said your constant critique is falling on deaf ears around here. If others talk about how much they enjoy the show, why do you see that as your Bat signal to jump in and bitch? Here's an idea...how about just ignoring it?

So you are one of those that likes your plots spelled out, it's clear Lost isn't the show for you. All I'm saying is that making these claims of stupidity about something you clearly know nothing about just makes you look silly. For those who have watched the show, whether they like it or not, know that the first season makes no sense and it was never supposed to. It's not 24 where they follow the same formula every season and the good guys always win. It's an ongoing story from the pilot to the last episode and you won't know who's the good guys were until the end, if ever.

You're right, to each thier own. If you had actually watched the show and not just a few episodes I wouldn't have said a thing. But, your need to criticize about something you know close to nothing about.. and trust me, you know nothing about Lost based on your posts about it, it just looks silly. I stand by my comparison to the Cards last season.

Also, this isn't a show for the masses and the same crowd who likes reality tv and Paris Hilton do not watch this show. I'll choose to ignore your insult of the Bee Gee's.:)

Klod, I hear yah. I realize I get annoying when I get going, and I should probably ingore it. It's just sooo hard, because I always get the smarmy holier-than-thou Chandler Mike-type responses which, in all good fun Mike, are just ridiculous. I must be 'wrong' because I don't like Lost lol

Don't assume too much though, Klod. I looooove a good show where the plot isn't all spelled out, where you have to piece things together. Memento was an excellent film, just off the top of my head. If a show can't piece together something to follow in an entire season, though? Wow. I didn't watch the whole season, but wow.

I actually know more than you think about Lost. I have talked about it with a friend of mine (not recently, so these thoughts might be a bit dated). We talked about the whole purgatory notion, and the whole mystical quality. I like the general idea behind it quite a lot. The initial shows, as well as the other episodes I was forced to watch, just didn't hook me. I won't go back over the details again, so suffice to say I just didn't like it. I find it funny to be so heavily persecuted for not liking it.

Oh, and to the notion that it might not be a giant robot (can't remember who posted that)? Okay, so it's some giant something that makes a ton of noise and is right on top of them...yet they somehow can't see it. Okay, there's absolutely no hint that this is a mystical show at this point...so WHY IN THE HECK can't they see it? Like I said, that is science stupid. I love mysteries, but that in no way was set up to appear anything but idiotic.

Okay, Klod, I'll try to behave and not jump at the bait. I reserve the right to respond on this thread, though :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just caught up with the last couple of episodes (but haven't read the last couple of pages of this thread because I'm a season behind in Lost). I really like it.

One thing that I have a hard time with, though. I don't understand why they wouldn't push the little girl to tell them what she saw. Yeah, it could be traumatic, but it could also be the key to solving the whole thing.

I think the most interesting idea is that of people making the future happen simply because of having seen it (like the quantum physics theory that the observation of an event changes the event). Dede Gibbons says what she says in her flash forward only because she had the flash forward. But, along those lines, everyone knows when the visions they have take place, so you'd think when that day/time arrive they'd all be anticipating it and NOT going about business as usual at those times (like the FBI chief--I doubt he'd be on the can when the fateful moment arrives if he knows gunmen are going to be storming the building, and Finnes probably wouldn't in his office alone knowing the same thing).

Good show, though.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Klod, I hear yah. I realize I get annoying when I get going, and I should probably ingore it. It's just sooo hard, because I always get the smarmy holier-than-thou Chandler Mike-type responses which, in all good fun Mike, are just ridiculous. I must be 'wrong' because I don't like Lost lol

Don't assume too much though, Klod. I looooove a good show where the plot isn't all spelled out, where you have to piece things together. Memento was an excellent film, just off the top of my head. If a show can't piece together something to follow in an entire season, though? Wow. I didn't watch the whole season, but wow.

I actually know more than you think about Lost. I have talked about it with a friend of mine (not recently, so these thoughts might be a bit dated). We talked about the whole purgatory notion, and the whole mystical quality. I like the general idea behind it quite a lot. The initial shows, as well as the other episodes I was forced to watch, just didn't hook me. I won't go back over the details again, so suffice to say I just didn't like it. I find it funny to be so heavily persecuted for not liking it.

Oh, and to the notion that it might not be a giant robot (can't remember who posted that)? Okay, so it's some giant something that makes a ton of noise and is right on top of them...yet they somehow can't see it. Okay, there's absolutely no hint that this is a mystical show at this point...so WHY IN THE HECK can't they see it? Like I said, that is science stupid. I love mysteries, but that in no way was set up to appear anything but idiotic.

Okay, Klod, I'll try to behave and not jump at the bait. I reserve the right to respond on this thread, though :)

Ok. I don't think people are trying to belittle you over your dislike for the show. More they are truely shocked that you don't like it. I'm that way about a few things that I just don't understand how anyone can dislike, but we all are that way about the things we love. You know everyone thinks their baby is the cutest ever, but there are some really ugly babies... you see what I mean.

Just to note: There is no robot, never was supposed to be a robot, and though I won't say what the sound is, it makes perfect sense when you find out. It would take far to long to explain why the first season makes no sense, but it makes perfect sense later on. The show was planned for six seasons, from 1st to last episode. It's not just random, it's well thought out and planned story telling.

Stout

Reaction score
Ok. I don't think people are trying to belittle you over your dislike for the show. More they are truely shocked that you don't like it. I'm that way about a few things that I just don't understand how anyone can dislike, but we all are that way about the things we love. You know everyone thinks their baby is the cutest ever, but there are some really ugly babies... you see what I mean.

Just to note: There is no robot, never was supposed to be a robot, and though I won't say what the sound is, it makes perfect sense when you find out. It would take far to long to explain why the first season makes no sense, but it makes perfect sense later on. The show was planned for six seasons, from 1st to last episode. It's not just random, it's well thought out and planned story telling.

Oh, most people aren't trying to belittle me or my opinion. Chandler Mike put on his arrogant shoes today in telling me I'm simply wrong and that it's a fact and blah blah blah. Smilie or no, that was simply asinine. Nothing is fact, just popular opinion.

You must, must, must PM me what that stupid sound was, though. The problem with that, as with the 1st season I suppose, is that if it is stupid, and is stupid for an extended period of time (stupid to me, that is)...if it is stupid to me for a whole season...yeah, what the hell is the whole point? You have to hook me. If you can't hook me over a season (granted, I didn't give it that long, but still), the show doesn't deserve me following it.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, most people aren't trying to belittle me or my opinion. Chandler Mike put on his arrogant shoes today in telling me I'm simply wrong and that it's a fact and blah blah blah. Smilie or no, that was simply asinine. Nothing is fact, just popular opinion.

You must, must, must PM me what that stupid sound was, though. The problem with that, as with the 1st season I suppose, is that if it is stupid, and is stupid for an extended period of time (stupid to me, that is)...if it is stupid to me for a whole season...yeah, what the hell is the whole point? You have to hook me. If you can't hook me over a season (granted, I didn't give it that long, but still), the show doesn't deserve me following it.

Arrogant? Come on man...I put a smiley, I was half-joking about you being WRONG, lol.

Yeah, I do think your opinion is off-base here, but it doesn't mean I'm an elitist or arrogant. It just means I think my opinion is better than yours :)

(that was a joke)

You are right, nothing is fact, it's just opinion on whether or not you like something.

However, I think acting is a bit more than just opinion. I think when you have an overwhelming number of people thinking the acting in a movie/TV show was fantastic, a single person thinking it sucked really doesn't hold a lot of water.

Acting is a craft, it's an art, so it's judged. But I do think acting can judged better than say a painting.

Anyways, calm down about me being asine, geez...I just find it hilarious that someone would bash the show because of the "robot" sound or the acting.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, I think acting is a bit more than just opinion. I think when you have an overwhelming number of people thinking the acting in a movie/TV show was fantastic, a single person thinking it sucked really doesn't hold a lot of water.

I dunno, Mike. Apparently lots of people keep approving of Ben Affleck as a leading actor and I don't even think he deserves a bit part on a bad soap opera. Affleck the writer/director is great, but Affleck the actor is unbearable ... unwatchable. To me, anyway.

Now if Stout wants to pick on Terry O'Quinn (John Locke), then I'll be happy to tell him where he can shove his viewership. LOL

(That was a joke, too!)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno, Mike. Apparently lots of people keep approving of Ben Affleck as a leading actor and I don't even think he deserves a bit part on a bad soap opera. Affleck the writer/director is great, but Affleck the actor is unbearable ... unwatchable. To me, anyway.

Completely depends on material. Ben Affleck does a good job with good material. However, if the material is mediocre to bad he is not one of those actors that can "act" it up.

He was great in Hollywood land. I also thought he was good in Man about Town and State of Play.

Stout

Reaction score
Terry O'Quinn sucked! lol Who? I don't even remember him. All right, all's well with Mike and I, I believe. Ben Affleck is money in Kevin Smith movies, but pretty much sucks elsewhere. And for the love of all that is holy, someone PM me to tell me what the stupid robot sound was. I will defend to my dying day that it really, REALLY seemed super idiotic at the time (come on, nobody else thought it was stupid at the time? Really?). Still and all, let me know what it was and I'll judge for myself lol

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's this robot sound Stout's asking about? (like i said, I'm afraid to read the rest of the thread because of the Lost discussion--I'm a season behind and don't want any spoilers).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's this robot sound Stout's asking about? (like i said, I'm afraid to read the rest of the thread because of the Lost discussion--I'm a season behind and don't want any spoilers).

He's talking about the "smoke monster" that, without giving it away, is so very different than what Stout interpreted.

Stout

Reaction score
He's talking about the "smoke monster" that, without giving it away, is so very different than what Stout interpreted.

No, it isn't different in the least. It obviously BECAME different in later seasons, but it was quite clearly the sound of a large, murderous robot (or something robotic) in the early stages of the show. That's exactly how it was presented to the audience...a large robotic-sounding entity that somehow couldn't be seen, that ripped up trees and plucked up people to murder. Since youse guys didn't send me the PM I was asking for, I went and looked up what turns out to be a smoke monster, and was vastly disappointed. Not disappointed in what it really was. No, I think that has lots of potential. Disappointed that it actually wasn't presented to the audience, or at least disappointed that there wasn't any kind of reason given as to why it couldn't be seen. Heck, even a 'damn it, what the heck WAS that thing hiding in the thickets!'

Ah well, woulda coulda shoulda. I didn't at all like Fox's performance early, and although I thought the situation had a ton of potential, too many things irritated me rather than intrigued me. So I didn't get to revel in Lost with everyone else. I'll live :) And I'll try to discuss it nicely from now on ;)

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This show is reminding me Heroes more so than Lost, and that is not a compliment.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is reminding me Heroes more so than Lost, and that is not a compliment.

I'm sort of on board with this comment. They're trying real hard to make a mystery out of something, but I'm losing confidence they have any real direction here.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm about ready to ditch this show like I did Heroes last season. The concept is interesting. But the writing, acting, and pacing is awful. One or two more episodes and I'm out.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell was that at the end of the last episode? It was so vague and filmed so badly I couldn't tell if it was a fancy solar flare effect or if it was suppose to make me wonder what it was.

Stout

Reaction score
I really liked this episode. The partner needed to have his whole murder investigation discovered so he can stop being whiny and get on with things. The medical storyline was excellent. I loved Fiennes playing with his daughter. I was kind of wondering if I would keep on with this show, but I liked the episode and think that I'll stick with it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is a little inconsistent. One episode I am feeling a little drawn in and the next I am disengaged again. Maybe it's the show just trying to find it's legs.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is a little inconsistent. One episode I am feeling a little drawn in and the next I am disengaged again. Maybe it's the show just trying to find it's legs.

You pretty much hit is with that. Seeing good old Charlie at the end felt very forced too.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm liking it more with each episode. I think it's a great story with compelling characters. The acting isn't superb, but it isn't horrible. I like how many of the complaints about this show are the same kinds of complaints I had about a certain show that I always bash that people seem to love lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn