Five Star Recruit opts for the G-League instead of college

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see. I wonder if he'll get any endorsement deals from anyone of note. If I were working for Adidas, Under Armor, Converse, or basically any shoe brand other than Nike I'd try to sign him for an extended period. Since he's not making much at all from the league contract they might be able to sign him to a multiyear deal for a fraction of what NBA players get and if he's drafted that will pay off big for them. That would give him a guarantee that he'll make enough money to live comfortably until he does make it to the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect the NBA is getting ready for this to happen with the G-League.

Then the gates will open wide. It's only a matter of time. Can't deny an 18 year old a job forever.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Will this open the gates or will it be a cautionary tale? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Wonder how the NCAA will respond if more top recruits start heading to the G-League.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure the NBA is probably trying to determine how much they'd need to pay G-League players in order for it to turn into a real feeder system that gets high quality recruits regularly. A year in college is worth nothing to some of the players that are looking to go 1 and done. I think they'll need to pay them at least 50k to start seeing their number grow dramatically. Endorsements deals for the G-League players is what will really determine how many prospects they'll get. If they can sign a 6 or 7 figure multi year deal then why waste the year in college when you can make money ASAP?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is also perfect timing for this to start happening with the NCAA under fire for some programs paying players under the table. The NCAA is really in no position right now to worry about the G-League nabbing recruits. They have a lot of other problems and I expect we'll see some hefty fines, suspensions, stripping programs of past wins, and removing some from postseason eligibility.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder how the NCAA will respond if more top recruits start heading to the G-League.

Maybe the NCAA will reconsider paying athletes as a result? I'm sure they will use a different terminology though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking someone will call the name of Darius Bazley during the draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think in some sense the NCAA would like it because they would presumably have less issues to worry about with kids getting paid. Contrary to what John Wall said after the FBI and Yahoo stories came out, it's not the lower rated prospects getting paid it's the higher rated ones.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure the NBA is probably trying to determine how much they'd need to pay G-League players in order for it to turn into a real feeder system that gets high quality recruits regularly. A year in college is worth nothing to some of the players that are looking to go 1 and done. I think they'll need to pay them at least 50k to start seeing their number grow dramatically. Endorsements deals for the G-League players is what will really determine how many prospects they'll get. If they can sign a 6 or 7 figure multi year deal then why waste the year in college when you can make money ASAP?
It seems to me like this would be good for the NBA. They get more players of interest in the G-league and they can better control how they are developed. Teams cannot draft them for a year anyway. If they made it two years they would really benefit.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The G-league can continue minimal pay and let the sponsors take the pay risk and do evaluations. Plus the players can still get drafted. If you are a talented 18 year old, why bother going to class and the political quagmire of the NCAA. Just play and get paid and maybe hit it big.

This would be the logical path for the "one and doners" while players interested in a college education could go the college route. I think it eventually helps everyone.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

There are 347 Division 1 basketball teams with 13 players each.
The NBA drafts 60 players and a dozen of those come from Europe.

How about adopting something similar to baseball. Give kids a choice. You can go to college but you have to stay for 3 years. Or you can sign a G-League contract and enter the NBA Draft after one year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good for him the NCAA is one of the biggest cons going.

If your a big time prospect this is clear cut for me

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the G-League adopts the 1-year college minimum now.

Why would the NBA do that. This only makes the G league better and brings them more money

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same reasons they put the minimum on the main league.
The reasons for the rule in the nba are the risk of having to spend high draft picks on unproven players and having them dilute the talent of the nba. Neither of those things are in place here. No draft picks are expended and it’s an infusion of talent.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The reasons for the rule in the nba are the risk of having to spend high draft picks on unproven players and having them dilute the talent of the nba. Neither of those things are in place here. No draft picks are expended and it’s an infusion of talent.
Fine.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyway the NBA can get more eyes on the G-League they'll consider. This will draw more attention for their games. It won't be much at first but in a few years it could be huge. It's not really about this one player so much as establishing this as a realistic route to the NBA. When Garnett joined the NBA from high school in the 90's it took a few years for that to become common. I suspect this will be similar, so long as this player is able to make the jump next year as a first round pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyway the NBA can get more eyes on the G-League they'll consider. This will draw more attention for their games. It won't be much at first but in a few years it could be huge. It's not really about this one player so much as establishing this as a realistic route to the NBA. When Garnett joined the NBA from high school in the 90's it took a few years for that to become common. I suspect this will be similar, so long as this player is able to make the jump next year as a first round pick.
It’s going to happen fast. If he is even a lottery consideration next year, the floodgates will open. Don’t forget about agents. If they can get a kid to go to the g-league, they can get their claws in them immediately. Agents will push this. For top talent agents might even subsides their pay in the g-league just to get their part of the later nba contract. Think of that. A kid can go to college for a semester and get zip. Or he can go to the g-league and get 26k to play, a competitive offer from an agent (100k for a top recruit) and a shoe contract of a few hundred thousand.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s going to happen fast. If he is even a lottery consideration next year, the floodgates will open. Don’t forget about agents. If they can get a kid to go to the g-league, they can get their claws in them immediately. Agents will push this. For top talent agents might even subsides their pay in the g-league just to get their part of the later nba contract. Think of that. A kid can go to college for a semester and get zip. Or he can go to the g-league and get 26k to play, a competitive offer from an agent (100k for a top recruit) and a shoe contract of a few hundred thousand.

I'm sure that's going to happen eventually but the notion that kids are going to college for nothing should have been dispelled this year with the whole FBi story.

Ed O'Bannon did an interview the other day about a book he has coming out. in the book he was asked about the FBI story and he said he was a bit skeptical. The interviewer thought Ed meant he didn't believe kids were getting paid but then Ed said the numbers being mentioned in the FBI story seemed low to me, I have heard talk of guys getting 200 or 250K so hearing the numbers in the FBI story surprised me they seemed kind of low.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that's going to happen eventually but the notion that kids are going to college for nothing should have been dispelled this year with the whole FBi story.

Ed O'Bannon did an interview the other day about a book he has coming out. in the book he was asked about the FBI story and he said he was a bit skeptical. The interviewer thought Ed meant he didn't believe kids were getting paid but then Ed said the numbers being mentioned in the FBI story seemed low to me, I have heard talk of guys getting 200 or 250K so hearing the numbers in the FBI story surprised me they seemed kind of low.

As I touched on it earlier, I think the NCAA may have to revisit allowing athletes to be paid money especially if payments to athletes by colleges or surrogates are acknowledged.

edupunk

Reaction score
I think it's great for the NBA and or gleague, but can possibly be a disaster for this kid. The NCAA, is what it is, but it allows these kids to market themselves to the masses, most (of the blue chippers) are one and done anyway.

He's joining a league of hungry grown men looking to make him food, I'd rather see him go over seas. He'd probably get paid better and the competition would more than likely be on par with the g league. It's sad that these kids are having to make these hard choices because of how the NCAA operates.

In the end I'm rooting for the kid!