Fitz restructures contract

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nor should he have been unselfish. I don't believe one person here would take a pay cut for the Cards, just to take a pay cut. It's not like a Jerry Porter situation where he would have to take a paycut to stay on the team or be released and then likely out of the league.

If the Cards didn't give him 10 million this year, they could've cut him and he would've still made all that and probably more on the open market.

I agree 100%

My rant is referring to all the Fitz glowing like this is some huge give up in his part on behalf of the team. It's not.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he didn't do it for the team, then why restructure at all? :mulli:

Because it netted him 10 million dollars today in a check guaranteed!

Rather than having 2 million more per year in salary not guaranteed.

If you can't see why he did it I don't know what to tell you. Of course he said yes because it benefitted him in everyway. It was a sweetheart deal that's why it was offered. No way in hell he refuses. It helps the team today cap wise but likely actually hurts later.

Bottom line is there was nothing "unselfish" about it.

Don't get me wrong though I'm glad especially with the win now mentality it's not my $$$ and if anyone deserves it Fitz does.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Have a hard time imagining "Q" turning down a $10m cheque; money now rather than doled out in salary every two weeks during the season.

Agreed.

And don't agree with the premise of that brought up this response either.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If he didn't do it for the team, then why restructure at all? :mulli:

10 million dollars now.

Money in hand.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the man was just offered 10 million for signing his name again.

Let's not make it out to be some great sacrifice.

Kudos goes to Keim, and I join in the celebration that this helps the team for next season.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 million dollars now.

Money in hand.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the man was just offered 10 million for signing his name again.

Let's not make it out to be some great sacrifice.

Kudos goes to Keim, and I join in the celebration that this helps the team for next season.

Someone gets it :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Florio

Yes, Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald restructured his contract. No, he won’t receive a penny less in 2014 than he was supposed to make.
As expected, it’s a so-called “simple” restructuring, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

It means that Fitzgerald agreed to convert a large chunk of his 2014 base salary to a signing bonus, which then will be spread over the five remaining years of his current contract.

At a base salary of $12.75 million and a league minimum for a veteran of 10 or more years of service at $955,000, the Cardinals were able to convert up to $11.795 million to a bonus. Divided by five, that translates to a per-year charge of $2.359 million. Which bumps $9.436 million to future cap years. Which drops Fitzgerald’s cap number for 2014 from $18 million to under $9 million.

Of course, that drives up the Fitzgerald cap number by $2.359 million in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Which makes 2015 the year of reckoning, when Fitzgerald’s cap number will be $23.6 million.

Which likely means that, come next year, it’ll take more than a simple restructuring to keep Fitzgerald in Arizona.

I would say this just about guarantees his departure next year. 24 million dollar cap figure for a WR? No way in heck. Lotsa dead money on the books. This might actually hurt more than it helps long term. Better win now!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

If you can't see why he did it I don't know what to tell you. Of course he said yes because it benefitted him in everyway. It was a sweetheart deal that's why it was offered. No way in hell he refuses. It helps the team today cap wise but likely actually hurts later.

Don't get me wrong though I'm glad especially with the win now mentality it's not my $$$ and if anyone deserves it Fitz does.

OK... I get that he didn't give up anything and unquestionably, a bird in the hand is certainly better off.
I guess I key more into the fact that both the team and Fitz were committed to getting this done this year, when he could've been traded... I'm pretty sure there would've been a nice line of teams willing to snatch him up. Who knows , that may still happen. However, everything both sides have said indicated he will be here for the rest of his career. It will take both sides to make that happen and for sure, after next year the true test of each will be on display...

motion3

Reaction score
Fitz didn't do anything charitable in this instance. He gave up absolutely nothing and got his cash up front to start investing immediately. Don't blame him though.

Only $8 million of that $24 mill for 2015 is base salary that may be restructured. Another fat 8 mill bonus is due. I don't see how Fitz can stay a card for 2015 without a major paycut (not restructure).

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would say this just about guarantees his departure next year. 24 million dollar cap figure for a WR? No way in heck. Lotsa dead money on the books. This might actually hurt more than it helps long term. Better win now!

The bolded part was my initial thought when I saw the #'s. To me this is a bit of bad and good news. It's a win-now move, which I love, but it almost guarantees Fitz won't retire a Cardinal. I'm pretty happy for the immediate future, but all it did was make the can bigger while kicking it down the road.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

If Fitz is due $24 M next season how much against the CAP would it be if he is traded or released next year? With his restructure now, I don't see any way where he'll give up that salary. (8M bonus - 16M salary?) He'll force the teams hand one way or the other. If he really wanted to end his career here, This was the time to do it! Maybe, from what I heard today, is that he wants to make sure that the team resigns some key team mates, including PP, Dansby and Rucker from what was said.

I can't see a scenario where they can keep him beyond this season unless Fitz deems the team worthy of him giving back some salary next year. Even then it would only be for one year, mtl. That's not anything exceptional for the team other than getting one main FA possibly now.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Fitz is due $24 M next season how much against the CAP would it be if he is traded or released next year? With his restructure now, I don't see any way where he'll give up that salary. (8M bonus - 16M salary?) He'll force the teams hand one way or the other. If he really wanted to end his career here, This was the time to do it! Maybe, from what I heard today, is that he wants to make sure that the team resigns some key team mates, including PP, Dansby and Rucker from what was said.

Unless you extend him next off season and tie both base salary and the bonus due next year into that extension. The question you have to ask, why would they restructure to move more money to an already big 2015 if they did not have a bigger plan. They would have been better off cutting him now instead of next year if that were the case.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Unless you extend him next off season and tie both base salary and the bonus due next year into that extension. The question you have to ask, why would they restructure to move more money to an already big 2015 if they did not have a bigger plan. They would have been better off cutting him now instead of next year if that were the case.

This...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yea because the cardinals have a history of being smart with the cap and decisions like this. To just assume they can "fix" the 24 million dollar cap figure with Fitz remaining on the roster is wishful at best.

This team doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt even with Keim as the GM.

The only plausible scenario is cutting him and having to carry a huge amount of dead cap space.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Right, because next year unless it's in his good will to take a pay cut (which he already did not do) it will wreak more havoc on the CAP than it would have now.

All for the possibility to add Albert? They better have a good b/u plan!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the cap suppopsed to jump up pretty signifigantly soon?

Even if It miraculously does you just don't pay a WR that averages 800 yards per season and 7tds his last 2 years 24 million per season. That's beyond awful.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The bolded part was my initial thought when I saw the #'s. To me this is a bit of bad and good news. It's a win-now move, which I love, but it almost guarantees Fitz won't retire a Cardinal. I'm pretty happy for the immediate future, but all it did was make the can bigger while kicking it down the road.
Yup. I posted in another thread wondering if the Cards were "all in" for this season and it starting to look like it.

Don't get me wrong, Kiem is slowly cleaning up the mess he inherited, but as a fan I think they're going to make a strong run this season.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I posted in another thread wondering if the Cards were "all in" for this season and it starting to look like it.

Don't get me wrong, Kiem is slowly cleaning up the mess he inherited, but as a fan I think they're going to make a strong run this season.

He's fixing one mess and creating another. The proof will be in the pudding like geting a real LT and keeping Dansby! Extending Peterson etc...

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

They'll need to. 2015 year is completely up in the air right now. Carpe Diem:D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's fixing one mess and creating another. The proof will be in the putting like geting a real LT and keeping Dansby! Extending Peterson etc...

yup. if they're able to do all that, fantastic. but they've created a pretty scary mess with that contract moving forward so if it's not used to go all in right now, I'm not sure what it accomplishes in the short or long run.

personally, I think the writing's on the wall with Dansby and he's gonzo, which I won't be happy with. That being said, I wasn't real happy with cutting Rhodes and thought it would kill our D and didn't, so maybe he won't be that big of a loss if he's gone. that's the only thing I can hope for in that situation.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is that beneficial again?? :bang:

Looks like we're def. locked into at least one high draft pick being WR.

Would Floyd eventually end up being the #1 wide receiver or the new high draft pick?

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's fixing one mess and creating another. The proof will be in the pudding like geting a real LT and keeping Dansby! Extending Peterson etc...
No doubt, but they were damned if they do or damned if they don't now. That's why I think they'll make the run this year and then take it in the arse in 2015 due to the cap issue. Palmer, DD, Fitz and others will be gone and they'll strip the roster to take the dead $$ hit and try to start fresh or fresher in 2016 or '17.
They have PP's rights until 2016, so they can franchise him in 2015.

Micheal has shown he's willing to eat $$ (whiz/graves) to strengthen the long term vision.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson