First to Worst: How and Why It Happened

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The doom and gloom crowd really does amaze me

Why? Has this not been one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory? There are no holes on this team except at QB and that is years away from being rectified and is a self inflicted wound.

We have plenty of talent otherwise on both sides of the ball yet we lose twice to Seattle who gets absolutely annihilated in everyone of their last 10 games other than against us and Carolina. :bang:

It's almost enough to turn BIM to the Darkside. :p

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild speculation.
Mr B is not in good health. MB is running the organization. There is a triumverant of power consisting of MB, Rod Graves and Whis. They do get along and reach key decisions jointly. Most of the personnel decisions are made by Whis. Graves tries to give him what he needs. They blew it on the QB position and that impacted the whole season. They know this and will fix it in the off season. The NFC West is still weak. They can turn it around and win it.

The speculation was the MR B is still in control comments, to be followed by the Cardinals are cheap

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The speculation was the MR B is still in control comments, to be followed by the Cardinals are cheap

You don't know that Dollar Bill isn't still in control. That's just speculation on your part. Just because the team said Michael was now in control doesn't mean it is true.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if this team loses Fitz, you might as well fold up the franchise.

Seriously, if a team three years after the Super Bowl can't convince Fitz, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle or Kurt Warner to stay or play out their existing contracts, why the hell would we expect ANYONE to ever stay again with the current management?

There's a lot of truth there although I think in a roundabout way keeping both Fitz and Boldin would have been worse because now we'd have 2 overpaid #1WR's unhappy with the bad QB play. Of course get a good QB and that issue goes away, easier said than done though.

Warner I don't know I know people have said he wanted the Cards to keep Boldin but I don't buy that's why he retired, I think he was just ready to retire and do other things. It sucked for us but I don't think management caused that.

Dansby seemed like he was unhappy from day 1 because he wasn't drafted where he wanted to be and was constantly trying to make up for that. Probably motivated him as a player, but he seemed to always want a new deal but maybe that's just bad memory on my part.

Now with Rolle again, did anybody watch any of the Giants game yesterday? If you did, I think he was directly or indirectly responsible for 3 TD's by the Pack. He did help cause a fumble the Giants recovered but he was horribly out of position all day. 2 of them he was clearly to blame, the 3rd he was at fault but the guy didn't score, he went down about the 2, and the Pack scored after that.

In fact he was so bad yesterday KC Joyner on ESPN did a special writeup on mental mistakes killing the Gmen and used Rolle allowing a long TD to Jordy Nelson as the example. Said Rolle was caught peeking into the backfield trying to see if it was a run or not and by the time he turned his head to run Nelson was wide open and his teammate was unable to catch him. It isn't coincidence how often you see #26 sprinting after a guy on a long catch and run. I'd take Rhodes over Rolle anyday, unfortunately most of the other guys you mentioned really hurt us when they left.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Why first to worst?

--Failure to find/groom an adequate QB, remember year one under Whisenhunt we had no 3rd string until Leinart got hurt and Warner tore the ligaments in his non-throwin elbow. The next 2 years we had St Pierre definitely not looking to the future if you are uncertain about Leinart especially knowing Warner could retire anytime.

--Failure to find enough LBs for the 3-4...he had 3 years to find someone to start taking time away from Berry & Okeafor, the first LB drafted that has shown anything is D. Washington (and now Schofield) in year 4...should have come sooner. Letting Dansby go was a mistake, should have franchised him IMO.

--Failure to find/coach up the O-Line. Many may disagree with me but letting L. Davis go for nothing and no adequate replacement was stupid and that was the first move by the new staff (of course I am sure the front office had a lot to do with it). Davis would be the best OT on this roster and is obviously a better OG. They spent a high pick on Levi Brown who has been average - below average since he got here, no sign of improvement...I haven't seen signficiant improvement by any of the OL in any aspect of the game.

--The drafts overall have been a disappointment. I understand every team strikes out sometimes but Cody Brown, Buster Davis particularly point to a failure of the scouting department. Although I will say we have had some great picks too, Breaston in particular and the 2010 draft may turn out to be one of the best we have had in awhile if we continue to get production and imrpovement out of Williams, Washington, Roberts, Skelton, Schofield and if Dray develops(I am not ready to give up on him yet--but he needs a jump from year one to 2).

--Failure to find an adequate replacement for Haley.

--Finding the right guy for DC. Billy Davis had nothing in his track record to indicate he was the best candidate for DC. He has continued the inconsistent defensive play we have seen around here for years. 2 great games mixed in with 4 bad seems about the norm.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dansby seemed like he was unhappy from day 1 because he wasn't drafted where he wanted to be and was constantly trying to make up for that. Probably motivated him as a player, but he seemed to always want a new deal but maybe that's just bad memory on my part.

We franchised Dansby for two years and couldn't afford to franchise him for the third. He never wanted to stay and wanted to be a free agent to get the biggest payoff that he could. He publicly stated this! He fired his agent when we had a deal in place. The payday not the team was his priority.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We franchised Dansby for two years and couldn't afford to franchise him for the third. He never wanted to stay and wanted to be a free agent to get the biggest payoff that he could. He publicly stated this! He fired his agent when we had a deal in place. The payday not the team was his priority.

That's pretty much what I mean, he was never happy with his contract. I don't think that was on management I think it was a guy who felt he should have been a first round pick and had a chip on his shoulder ever since.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't know that Dollar Bill isn't still in control. That's just speculation on your part. Just because the team said Michael was now in control doesn't mean it is true.

How did you come up with that?? Michael was named president 3 years ago and runs the team on a day to day basis. That is not speculation that is fact. I talked to Mr B at Flagstaff during training camp, he is very frail and having health problems. His public appearances are less and less.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sanford and son have now experienced winning and all it brings. I would really hope between the SB appearance and the young blood in the office, the old man has to see you get what you pay for. New coach, a dedicated fanbase, and matched with a brand new casa, I hope we spend buckets of cash. Takes money to make money,(kinda) takes money to win in this league.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bill B told you that in a sworn statement did he?

maybe in Michael's blood :D

Duck, it's going to take Mr B to pass I'm afraid for everything to change the way things truely need to be. Spending $30 mil less in salary has his signature written all over it much like 1999 & some people still refuse to see it. Examples: Warner allowed to test the market after a Super Bowl, Dansby probably not being offered what he wanted until it's too late & franchised 2 years in a row, Boldin sent packing...up next Breaston & Fitz. Please let the pain end already :bang:

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
There are no holes on this team except at QB and that is years away from being rectified and is a self inflicted wound.

I can't believe someone made this comment. Our offensive line is awful, our running backs are mediocre, our tight ends are lousy and our defense is spotty in many areas.

We are losing games because we have few great players and bad coaching.

All this speculation is fine but if I were MB I would be worried about season ticket sales for next year and the prospect of few sold out games.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The doom and gloom crowd really does amaze me considering I was once a member of the darkside contingent as we're really only filling a few holes away from being a playoff caliber team again.

I don't know why I'm shocked about this, but the myopia on the board makes you wonder if people are either extremely short sighted or "Johnny come lately". All the hyperbole about "worst Cards team ever" or the rest of the whining thrown around here is somewhere beyond tiresome.

Show me another team that is successful after losing their hall of fame qb who happens to make everyone on the offense better, and replacing him with the worst qb combo in football. It doesn't happen. That was obviously a mistake, but considering the success that we've had over the last couple years, a little bit of patience doesn't seem too much to ask for.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There are no holes on this team except at QB and that is years away from being rectified and is a self inflicted wound.

I can't believe someone made this comment. Our offensive line is awful, our running backs are mediocre, our tight ends are lousy and our defense is spotty in many areas.

We are losing games because we have few great players and bad coaching.

All this speculation is fine but if I were MB I would be worried about season ticket sales for next year and the prospect of few sold out games.

I made that comment and I completely disagree with you. If the Cards had even halfway decent QB play this season they would be division champs.

The defense was weak in 2008 and 2009 but we had great QB play and won the division both seasons. Our offensive line was much better the last two years than it was this season. The Cards are 5-10 for three reasons. Terrible QB play, poor play from the offensive line which was completely remade from last season and a defense that gave up because our offense was so pasthetic.

I'll go along with the team making terrible decisions this offseason but not that they had terrible players and coaches.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I made that comment and I completely disagree with you. If the Cards had even halfway decent QB play this season they would be division champs.

The defense was weak in 2008 and 2009 but we had great QB play and won the division both seasons. Our offensive line was much better the last two years than it was this season. The Cards are 5-10 for three reasons. Terrible QB play, poor play from the offensive line which was completely remade from last season and a defense that gave up because our offense was so pasthetic.

I'll go along with the team making terrible decisions this offseason but not that they had terrible players and coaches.

Agreed. If we beat Minnesota, TB, and the Rams, which is very plausible with even mediocre QB play, we'd be 8-7 right now with a huge game against the 9ers this week. Hell we would've probably won the Carolina game as well and we'd be sitting here at 9-6...

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm not trying to dis anyone or to sew any seeds of destruction or angst here but this team has had a pattern of behavior that I frankly thought was gone and is now back again.

Losing Warner hurt bad, I'll freely admit I was one of the people who never gave him enough credit when he was here and when he left he left a huge hole.

The trouble is our division is TERRIBLE, even without Warner, with anyone semi respectable we'd have WALKED with this division bad oline and all.

The other teams are in as bad or WORSE shape roster wise than we are and even if we'd have gone nowhere in the playoffs they were there for the taking.

This season is far more ugly than I ever imagined, simply because of how quickly the team seemed to toss in the towel.

Lately it's been spunkier, all it would of taken is a mildly decent QB to win many more games.

Bulger would of been that good for us at least, I don't think any right thinking owner would of wanted him but to go with DA, that's just inexplicable.

Don't know who decided what, don't know why, all I know is that I've seen this movie before, it's the same movie and that's very disheartening to see.

We're nowhere near as bad talent wise as we have been and even mistakes and all our coaching is still better than it has been, but none of that matters if the FO or ownership is going to pull years like this.

These things are like cancers, it eats at what remaining talent is here and they want out and could you blame them?

There are teams out there that scratch and claw every year to get to the playoffs anyway they can, they go to the wall no matter what, FO, Ownership and players.

If you were a player and you had a choice, would you want to go there or stay on a team like this one?

Fair question.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Great post Mitch. I also look at the things in a similar way. Whiz is a great coach, not necessary the best playcaller ever, but a great coach that gets the most out of his players, and even more importantly - at most crucial times. He has the tendency of not preparing the players best in games that don't mean much, but as soon as we have an important game, it's like the team is as prepared as it can be with the talent available. You can look at New England/Minny games two years ago and than how prepared we were once the playoffs started. Also the Pacer game in the end of the regular season last year and the one in post season.

This problem dates back to 30's. I think that's evidence enough for that it's not Whisenhunts fault, but rather the higher ranks in the organization.

He has that important skill of starting the best player. Warner was much better than Leinart, he started the best guy, and i'm sure this was not the most popular decision and Mr B was not happy about this. He did the same this year. Hall was the one playing best in offseason and he played him. He may not always be right, but he goes with the best player it seems, and not with status (draft position/size of contract). And I think that Hall was indeed the better QB than Anderson and Leinart. And Skelton was not ready, and still isn't as ready as some people still think, he was right there, kid needs alot time yet.

Ultimately, that kind of thinking will get you success. And i can sense that this kind of thinking is not very popular among the top ranks in organization. For them, it's like wasting money that they have invested in "wrong" players. They want a coach that starts the most expensive players.

I think they are looking for another coach, it's just a guess from my part, i had this feeling for quiet some time. And it's very wrong because I believe that coach Whiz is looking at things most realistically and knows very well which players are the best. Bulger would have been a great addition as an example.

There is only one area that Whiz needs to be blamed and it's the defense. He just doesn't understand the defense as good as he understand offensive football. He would never go 3-4 if that was the case , with the personel that we have. He would never gone with zone over man. He just went with the similar scheme that he knew from Pittsburgh and that was working well there. Same as when McDaniels implemented a cover 3, 3-4 in Denver because he doesn't know much about Defense, but he knew this worked fine in New England.

He needed to evaluate the personel and tailor the best scheme for the players on defense. On offense i think he has done a very good job. Many people complain of not running the ball, but that is impossible when they go heavy blitz, because you don't have a QB that can deal with pressure calls. It's been like that all year long, he wants to run it, but there is no way you can do it without a even an average QB on the team.

He needs more talent, especially at QB. You give him a good QB and i think we are division winners and going to playoffs.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why couldn't they afford to franchise him? They didn't spend the money saved elsewhere.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Great post! I agree with a lot of what you say.

Mangling the Boldin situation hurt. Screw the 'can't pay two wide receivers cr@p.' Teams need to retain their core pro-caliber team leaders regardless of position.

I'm not sure there was much management could do with regard to Karlos Dansby. He wanted to leave, and he left.

The biggest fiasco this offseason was the QB situation. I'm not sure Marc Bulger was the long term solution, but at least he could have been a stopgap until the QBOTF was in place.

With high draft choices in all rounds this offseason, the Cardinals HAVE to get it right. Most of all, they need intelligent, hard-working players on offense like Q and Fitz. On defense they need superb athletes with quickness and instincts. Daryl Washington and Dan Williams are a great start, now build around them.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Screw the 'can't pay two wide receivers cr@p.' Teams need to retain their core pro-caliber team leaders regardless of position.

Good call. The Colts didn't have any problem keeping Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for 8 years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen