First BCS rankings of the year

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Big win for Rutgers, plus Big East has an automatic tie in to BCS. They probably got the East Coast voters on this one.

The good thing, is they still have to get through the rest of their conference. We need to keep winning and by large margins.

Boise States RB Ian Johnson is tearing it up. He won't win, but he's making a late Heisman push. 4 touchtowns again and up to 18 for the season!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mountaineers shouldn't be complaining. Louisville is the winless team getting melted by the BCS. 6th in all polls but 8th in the BCS? If Louisville was located in South Bend, you could guarantee a top 3 ranking right now. This whole system is absurd.

Right. I've seen Louisville. They are good but in my opinion, the only team ahead of them in the BCS they could beat is USC. If you believe differently, state it and justify it.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Right. I've seen Louisville. They are good but in my opinion, the only team ahead of them in the BCS they could beat is USC. If you believe differently, state it and justify it.

I think teams #3 through #12 or so are pretty even. Louisville is definitely vulnerable Skorp. They've had to make some serious personnel changes and the offense has struggled a bit adjusting to Bush being gone and Brohm still recovering from injury. But that is to be expected. If Brohm can get back to 100% I believe they can beat anybody because UofL has been the nation's most dynamic offense and that is how they dominate games. The last few weeks we haven't seen that though. Now the defense for the most part has been very good - better than expected - especially against the run. Special teams coverage has been a bit shaky with a few kick returns for scores. But like West Virginia, the competition hasn't been top notch yet so I'm withholding judgement for now.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Louisville survived injuries that would have killed most teams. If they can beat both West Virginia and Rutgers, I think they will be ranked 2 or 3 and that's all they need to get a shot at THE game.

I thought Michigan would win out but without their deep threat, they are a different team. So Ohio State looks like a lock at 1 until the bowl games.

I just think USC will lose, maybe twice, and West Virginia will beat Louisville. With three teams in the same conference sitting at 7-0 (L'ville, WV, and Rutgers), if one of those teams runs the table, they've got to be in the top 3.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
WVU hasn't seen a team this good, let alone on the road in a hostile environment. I think you under estimate the Louisville defense. They have been pretty solid against the run while the offense has been adjusting to life without 2 heisman candidates. People forget UofL has been hit hard by the injury bug not only at QB and RB but on defense as well. Should be a little healthier for the WVU game. Hopefully the Cards can contain the run just enough to make WVU throw the ball. If Brohm and the offense are back in pre-injury form it could too much for the Mountaineers to overcome on the road.

We will see. I have watched UL the last two weeks and wasnt impressed at all. We beat Syracuse 48-17...UL struggled till late.

Every defense we have faced this year has stuck 8 guys in the box thinking Pat White cant throw. He can. He isnt a typical running QB.

I think UL best chance is Brohm going for 350+, which he could do. Dont think they will have much success running unless he spreads it out a lot first.

Should be a good game. I fully expect someone to score 40+ points.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Okay, LSU is still #13 in the coaches and AP at 6-2. They are ranked about 5-7 spots too high.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I agree. And California is too low. They are the best team with 1 loss IMO.

what sucks is if Lsu beats TN this weekend, they will jump up. I know they have played some big teams, but 2 losses says a lot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. And California is too low. They are the best team with 1 loss IMO.

Don't tell that to Tenn though.

Cal has nobody to blame but themselves, most of the country has only seen them play once and it was the blowout loss to Tenn.

They get a primetime game this weekend against UCLA at least.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Louisville looking good to make a run at berth in BCS title game

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer
November 5, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Louisville is looking good.

The Cardinals (8-0) surged into third place in the Bowl Championship Series standings Sunday, putting some distance between themselves and the other title contenders.

Louisville has four games left, three against teams with winning records, and it looks as if the Cardinals are a good bet to earn a spot in the national championship game if they stay unbeaten -- though not quite a lock.

Ohio State (10-0) and Michigan (10-0) remained at the top of the BCS standings, despite ugly wins on Saturday, and on course to meet Nov. 18 in Columbus with a bid to the Jan. 8 title game in Glendale, Ariz., on the line.

But the Cardinals were the big winners this week. Their 44-34 victory over West Virginia, last week's third-place team, gave them the necessary boost to jump over fourth-place Florida. And with another big game Thursday night at undefeated Rutgers, the Cardinals are in position to get another bump up with a victory.

Louisville was third in the latest Harris poll, fourth in the coaches' poll and third in the computer rankings for a BCS average of .8907. Each of those components account for one-third of a BCS average.

"I wouldn't go so far as to say (the Cardinals) control their own destiny because you never know what the voters do," BCS analyst Jerry Palm said.

Ohio State is an overwhelming No. 1 in the polls and second in the computers. Michigan is second in the polls but first in the computers.

Once-beaten Florida stayed in fourth with an average of .8017, and Texas (.7998) made a big jump from seventh to fifth, just a shade behind the Gators.

Auburn (.7814) is not far behind in sixth, followed by USC, California, Notre Dame and West Virginia.

"I don't think the race for No. 2 is done yet," Palm said.

In The Associated Press Top 25, Ohio State is No. 1 followed by Michigan, Louisville, Texas and Auburn.

The Fighting Irish are still one spot behind where they need to be in the BCS standings at the end of the regular season to earn automatic entry into the five multimillion dollar bowl games.

Boise State is 14th for a second consecutive week, two spots behind the top 12 that would give the Broncos an automatic BCS bid. But if the season ended today, Boise State would be in because it ranks in the top 16 and has a better BCS average than any Atlantic Coast Conference team.

If the unbeaten Broncos stay in the top 16 and finish ahead of the ACC champion, they'll become the first Western Athletic Conference team to earn a BCS bid.

Georgia Tech is currently the highest rated ACC team in the BCS standings in 18th place.

The champions of the Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, Southeastern Conference and Pac-10 receive automatic bids to the BCS.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Louisville doesn't play defense or special teams well at all. That could be their downfall. They have a very good offense, but I don't know if that will carry them the rest of the way.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
The Fighting Irish are still one spot behind where they need to be in the BCS standings at the end of the regular season to earn automatic entry into the five multimillion dollar bowl games.

Boise State is 14th for a second consecutive week, two spots behind the top 12 that would give the Broncos an automatic BCS bid. But if the season ended today, Boise State would be in because it ranks in the top 16 and has a better BCS average than any Atlantic Coast Conference team.

If the unbeaten Broncos stay in the top 16 and finish ahead of the ACC champion, they'll become the first Western Athletic Conference team to earn a BCS bid.

Yeah, we should be in, if we win out. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. Louisville deserves to be in the title game against the loser of Michigan-Ohio State.

In my opinion, the 3 biggest BCS infuences are:

1.Conference perception
2.Strength of Schedule (Or perception of strenght of scedule)
3.Big Wins

That said, look at these:

Last weeks Strength of Schedule numbers:
Michigan 101
Ohio State 118
Boise State 119
Louisville 110
Rutgers 114

The Rest: http://teamrankings.com/ncf/27powerratings.php3

Hmmmmm.....