Fire Dirk Petition

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
How would you feel about Greg Schiano or Jim Grobe taking over at ASU?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Rumor has it Miami wants Schiano after they fire Coker. No way to Grobe, not a fan at all. My favorite is Tom O'Brien from Boston College. He would be a perfect fit in Tempe- would bring the much needed discipline that we need on and off the field. He's a great recruiter and has gone to 7 straight bowl games. I think he woujld be great here.

Rumor has it that Bobby Petrino would want to coach here. He was an assistant here in the past, I believe for Marmie, and loved it here. He wants to go to the NFL which could be a possibility if he runs the table

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Rumor has it Miami wants Schiano after they fire Coker. No way to Grobe, not a fan at all. My favorite is Tom O'Brien from Boston College. He would be a perfect fit in Tempe- would bring the much needed discipline that we need on and off the field. He's a great recruiter and has gone to 7 straight bowl games. I think he woujld be great here.
O'Brien is a good option, he considered UW before they decided to go with Willingham. I think he has a reasonable contract at BC as well, although some may argue that since he could never get BC to the championship level in the ACC/Big East then it's doubtful he could do that in the Pac-10.

Rumor has it that Bobby Petrino would want to coach here. He was an assistant here in the past, I believe for Marmie, and loved it here. He wants to go to the NFL which could be a possibility if he runs the table
Petrino also makes a base salary of $2.5 million a season for the next 10 years at Louisville with a $1 million buyout. It's doubtful ASU will be able to afford to buy out Koetter and pay Petrino that much, especially when they're seventh in the Pac-10 in attendance.

A name that is popping up on some radars across the country is Jim Harbaugh, who has turned USD into a Division II powerhouse with an innovative offense.

Last edited:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

Just curious why your not a fan of Grobe? He is pretty much what you descrived in O'Brien: Hard nosed, old school, but really gets the most out of his kids. Remember he is winning w/o the luxury of big name recruits. Downside of that is the question, is he a coach who takes programs out of the celler only? IN other words can he take a real football school-one that actually gets recruits- and take them to the next level. Not that it matters but he has been rumored with the Michigan State job (which I think is Moochs to turn down) and was a candidate for the Alabama job 2 years ago.

Petrino probably wouldn come to ASU. Frankly UL is a better football school right now and he is in a good spot there. Especially with recent publicity, and the emergence of the Big East, his recruits should sore.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A name that is popping up on some radars across the country is Jim Harbaugh, who has turned USD into a Division II powerhouse with an innovative offense.

Note - San Diego is a DIVISION I-AA program, but is non-scholarship. They are by no means a powerhouse - they play one of the weakest schedules in the nation. NAU, who competes at the same level, would beat San Diego by 30, but Harbaugh refuses to schedule anyone remotely competitive, and is a major whiner.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Note - San Diego is a DIVISION I-AA program, but is non-scholarship. They are by no means a powerhouse - they play one of the weakest schedules in the nation. NAU, who competes at the same level, would beat San Diego by 30, but Harbaugh refuses to schedule anyone remotely competitive, and is a major whiner.
Yeah, I forgot he was 1-AA because of the non-scholarship thing which is probably why he doesn't schedule the likes of NAU and such. Regardless, he's destroying people in the non-scholarship conferences, has USD ranked 12th in the country, and is getting a lot of looks from big schools. As far as the scheduling thing goes, I remembe him calling out San DIego State for a game that they with good reason did not take. Harbaugh was rumored to have turned down the coordinator job at Michigan last year and interviewed for a couple other HC gigs, it's only a mater of time beforehe makes the jump to Div-1.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot he was 1-AA because of the non-scholarship thing which is probably why he doesn't schedule the likes of NAU and such. Regardless, he's destroying people in the non-scholarship conferences, has USD ranked 12th in the country, and is getting a lot of looks from big schools. As far as the scheduling thing goes, I remembe him calling out San DIego State for a game that they with good reason did not take. Harbaugh was rumored to have turned down the coordinator job at Michigan last year and interviewed for a couple other HC gigs, it's only a mater of time beforehe makes the jump to Div-1.

How good San Diego really is a hot topic over at the I-AA board - www.anygivensaturday.com . Most agree that San Diego is no where near the 12th best I-AA program - would struggle to finish .500 in most conferences. Still, he has done a good job within the non-schollie limits.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious why your not a fan of Grobe? He is pretty much what you descrived in O'Brien: Hard nosed, old school, but really gets the most out of his kids. Remember he is winning w/o the luxury of big name recruits. Downside of that is the question, is he a coach who takes programs out of the celler only? IN other words can he take a real football school-one that actually gets recruits- and take them to the next level. Not that it matters but he has been rumored with the Michigan State job (which I think is Moochs to turn down) and was a candidate for the Alabama job 2 years ago.

Petrino probably wouldn come to ASU. Frankly UL is a better football school right now and he is in a good spot there. Especially with recent publicity, and the emergence of the Big East, his recruits should sore.

I'm not a fan of Grobe because he's not that good of a coach. He is in a talent pool in Virginia and fails often to get good recruits. When he does, he doesn't do much with elite talent. Names that come to mind recently- Brick Ferguson, Wali Lundy, Brooks......

I agree that Grobe runs a tight program but if it came down between O'brien and Grobe, it's not even a contest in my eyes. O'brien does much more with far less talent and is very underrated. The only question I have with O'Brien is whether or not he can implement an offensive attack that will be consistent in the PAC-10. I think he can because he's a great coach but the ACC and the PAC are two different animals.

As for Petrino, the rumor was he would want to come here. We all know Louisville is "a better football scholl right now" but how much more can he do, especially in a conference like the Big East? Coaches with aspirations and goals like Petrinos don't care about the moment, their always thinking about their next step. He is very limited if he remains in that conference and if he really wants to be an NFL coach (which he says he does) then he'll prob have to leave and go to another program in a major conference. The question with Petrino is if he's worth having come here, get our program up and going again, and then have him leave for the NFL? That could be all we need.

I played golf with Jim Fossil last winter right before mini-camps started and when Koetter was in hot water. He made it clear that if the ASU job ever opened that he would place a call to Lisa Love and express a great amount of interest. He said the ASU job would be a dream job with the weather, facilities, talent pool to work with, and location. Very interesting as well. I have always said I want an NFL guy (certain ones, not just any) to come in here as our next coach. Most former NFL coaches seem to have great success at the college level.

Tom O'Brien is a dream coach IMO. We'll see what happens

Last edited:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Grobe because he's not that good of a coach. He is in a talent pool in Virginia and fails often to get good recruits. When he does, he doesn't do much with elite talent. Names that come to mind recently- Brick Ferguson, Wali Lundy, Brooks......

I agree that Grobe runs a tight program but if it came down between O'brien and Grobe, it's not even a contest in my eyes. O'brien does much more with far less talent and is very underrated. The only question I have with O'Brien is whether or not he can implement an offensive attack that will be consistent in the PAC-10. I think he can because he's a great coach but the ACC and the PAC are two different animals.

As for Petrino, the rumor was he would want to come here. We all know Louisville is "a better football scholl right now" but how much more can he do, especially in a conference like the Big East? Coaches with aspirations and goals like Petrinos don't care about the moment, their always thinking about their next step. He is very limited if he remains in that conference and if he really wants to be an NFL coach (which he says he does) then he'll prob have to leave and go to another program in a major conference. The question with Petrino is if he's worth having come here, get our program up and going again, and then have him leave for the NFL? That could be all we need.

I played golf with Jim Fossil last winter right before mini-camps started and when Koetter was in hot water. He made it clear that if the ASU job ever opened that he would place a call to Lisa Love and express a great amount of interest. He said the ASU job would be a dream job with the weather, facilities, talent pool to work with, and location. Very interesting as well. I have always said I want an NFL guy (certain ones, not just any) to come in here as our next coach. Most former NFL coaches seem to have great success at the college level.

Tom O'Brien is a dream coach IMO. We'll see what happens

Whooaaa big fella. I think you have Jim Grobe, HC at Wake Forest, with Al Groh, HC at Virginia confused. If I am right, then I agree with you, if I am wrong and you are talking about the HC at WakeForest, then I couldnt disagree more! :)

On Petrino you may be right, he may go from UL to ASU but I dont see it. Remember this is the coach, that midway through the year 2 years ago was flown into Baton Rouge during the season to accept the LSU job after Saban was going to the Dolphins. He stayed at UL because he got a raise from $500,000 to $1million a year and said he thought he could "win more games and a NC faster at UL than LSU" LSU was reportedly set to offer him in the $2million per year range..

Now if you take him at his word, I dont see him leaving UL to go to ASU. The Big East aside (which I dont agree is the same "pansy" conference it was two years ago when Miami and VaTech pulled out) a move from UL to ASU is lateral at best, but a move from LSU-the job he could have had- to ASU is a step down imo.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah my bad. For some reason I got the two confused. They have similar names, m aybe thats what threw me off.

Why do you like Grube so much? He has done a decent job at Wake but I'm not sure why you'd want him here. He operates a goofy offense and I'm not sure how he plans to use that in the PAC. I gues I'm trying to say he's not really a guy who sticks out at me, maybe you can prove me otherwise

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Of course Fassel would love to come to ASU. Nobody at any level is offering him any other head coaching opportunities and he would be close to his family. The problem is it would be tough selling Fassel as he was a complete failure at Utah in his only collegiate head coaching gig.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Of course Fassel would love to come to ASU. Nobody at any level is offering him any other head coaching opportunities and he would be close to his family. The problem is it would be tough selling Fassel as he was a complete failure at Utah in his only collegiate head coaching gig.

I realize that but he told me he wanted the job when he the OC for the Ravens. It's easy to say he has no opportunities now but at the time he was doing just fine.

And Utah then compared to ASU now is not a very good comparison. He has plenty of talent to work with if he came here and I'm sure plenty of recruits would want to play for a guy with NFL experience

O'Brien is still who I want but Love should give Fassel an interview at the least

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Yeah my bad. For some reason I got the two confused. They have similar names, m aybe thats what threw me off.

Why do you like Grube so much? He has done a decent job at Wake but I'm not sure why you'd want him here. He operates a goofy offense and I'm not sure how he plans to use that in the PAC. I gues I'm trying to say he's not really a guy who sticks out at me, maybe you can prove me otherwise

Not really selling you, just wondered peoples thoughts. I think the biggest knock on him would be can he take a mid-level team to the next level. Up until now with stints at Air Force, Uinversity of Ohio, and Wake Forest he has taken really bad teams and made them respectable (bowl wins too).

He runs an off-shoot of the Rich Rod offense from WVU but frankly he taylors his offense to the talent. I doubt he would rely so heavily on running the ball if he had some talent at WR and QB. At Ohio he run the wishbone. He isnt pigeon holed into one offense.

The other reaosn I ask is that specualtion out there is he is going to get offers after what he has done at WF the last couple of years. Just curious if anyone had thoughts on a possibel move to ASU?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I would think it would be an odd hire simply because he has no ties to the west coast or PAC-10 football. Not that O'Brien does either but IMO Obrien has done a much better job at BC and deserves a shot. Grobe has done a respectable job at Wake (he did beat us in 2 bowl games) but I would be dissapointed if we were to hire him. He just isn't a "big time" hire that I think we need right now. While Koetter has not met expectations while here, he hasn't hurt the program all that much either. He has plenty of talent across the board for a good coach to come in and succeed with. As I said before, I don't like the offense Grobe runs. Like you said, he will adjust his offense to the strengths of the team but he seems to have a deep history of option style offenses which won't work in the PAC.

Overall, there are plenty of assistants from big time programs that are ready for the next level. Throw some current head coaches who would more than likely leave their current situation to come to ASU and Grobe is a longshot. Just my opinion