Favorite books from childhood

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been rearranging my place and just went through a bunch of books I haven't really looked at in a while. One is "Around the World with Ant and Bee," which my godmother gave me waaaaay back in the day.

She was in the Peace Corps and, though she wasn't around a lot, always tried to educate my siblings and me on things wordly. She would always bring us cool things from the places she visited. It was always super fun to see her.

My Ant and Bee book is damaged (thanks, stupid basement in NJ) and I tried to replace it, but, WOW. Super expensive book! Anyway, I am thinking about having it rebound since the cover is gone and, truth be told, there is no way I will ever replace it.

So, what are your favorite childhood books? I also love "Are You My Mother" and anything dealing with Snoopy. :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hardy Boys, Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown, etc.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Where the Red Fern Grows, The Lottery Rose, My Side of the Mountain, and Bless the Beasts and Children.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Little House books....
:yeahthat: Read just about all of them many times over. On the Banks of Plum Creek was my favorite.

Where the Red Fern Grows, My Side of the Mountain, and Bless the Beasts and Children.
I knew these 3 would be on your list; the bolded two I loved as well.

I read an insane amount of books as a kid; I loved to read...it's hard to remember them all. My mother gave me a ton of books that she had as a teenager. I still have a few of them. Wish I could say I kept them all, but unfortunately, I did lose some. The Luckiest Girl is by Beverly Cleary. I had no idea she was that old at the time. Knowing my mom read that when she was a kid was kind of weird to me since I thought Beverly Cleary was a "new" author, lol. Little did I know that Beezus & Ramona was written in 1955! Loved all her books. The Mouse & the Motorcycle was my favorite by her.

I also enjoyed The Five Little Peppers series, all of Judy Blume's books, of course. I especially liked Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.

Roald Dahl's books were great (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc).

E.B. White, of course. The Trumpet of the Swan was one I could read over & over as well.

Last but definitely not least, Watership Down. Fantastic book.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:yeahthat: Read just about all of them many times over. On the Banks of Plum Creek was my favorite.

Read thme over and over myself.

I have been to the Big Woods, Plum Creek, and DeSmet :), and the site of the Little HOuse on the Prairie in KS

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fourth grade teacher read the Little House books to us after lunch. She was cool.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"The Story of Theodore Roosevelt". He had asthma. I had asthma. I was about 7 when I first read it and was thrilled that he had overcome it. He promptly became my role model. I still have the book. (I just notice my brother had written his name inside the front cover so I obviously "appropriated" it.)

We had one of the old Carnegie libraries in my town. The children's section was downstairs and had all the boring books. We were constantly sneaking upstairs to read the good stuff and getting yelled at by the librarians. There was also a bookmobile which came by once a week.

We were big on comics. I still have boxes of them. Unfortunately we read them until they were falling apart so they're worth zilch. Dennis the Menace was a particular favorite. I have a couple of the first Peanuts books. (Anybody remember Violet? That's how old these are.) And I loved my dad's old Sad Sack books from the 40's.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Encyclopedia Brown, LOTR, Watership Down, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read 'Where the wild things are' to my grandkids about 1000 times

I grew up with anything by AA Milne...most notably Pooh Bear

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hardy Boys, Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown, etc.

Oh yeah I loved the Hardy Boys books right up until I found out that they were written by the same person who wrote the Nancy drew stories. For some reason as a kid that bugged me.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh yeah I loved the Hardy Boys books right up until I found out that they were written by the same person who wrote the Nancy drew stories. For some reason as a kid that bugged me.

So you'll appreciate how I felt when, sitting at our kitchen table, one of my brother's friends told me that Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew author) was, in fact, a middle-aged man.

Betrayal!

Turns out Carolyn Keene was a whole bunch of people. But my little feminist heart was broken. I think I tiped the Monopoly board over and pouted the rest of the evening. It wasn't pretty.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you'll appreciate how I felt when, sitting at our kitchen table, one of my brother's friends told me that Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew author) was, in fact, a middle-aged man.

Betrayal!

Turns out Carolyn Keene was a whole bunch of people. But my little feminist heart was broken. I think I tiped the Monopoly board over and pouted the rest of the evening. It wasn't pretty.

Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew came from same book company, different set of authors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_W._Dixon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolyn_Keene

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have been to the Big Woods, Plum Creek, and DeSmet :), and the site of the Little HOuse on the Prairie in KS

We honeymooned in Minnesota and South Dakota.

In Walnut Grove, Minnesota my wife held LHOTP puppet shows at a Lutheran church during the week of the Wilder Pageant. It was sponsored by the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum. We took in all the sites including the Ingalls Dugout Site, Plum Creek, and "the big rock."

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We honeymooned in Minnesota and South Dakota.

In Walnut Grove, Minnesota my wife held LHOTP puppet shows at a Lutheran church during the week of the Wilder Pageant. It was sponsored by the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum. We took in all the sites including the Ingalls Dugout Site, Plum Creek, and "the big rock."

Both of you--that is too cool. I'd love to see those places.
I've read 'Where the wild things are' to my grandkids about 1000 times

I grew up with anything by AA Milne...most notably Pooh Bear
I should be shot for having left out AA Milne. Had the complete set; still have most of them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Wrinkle in Time, Phantom Tollbooth, Chronicles of Narnia and Hardy Boys.

Steve

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Choose Your Own Adventure books, Watership Down, Where the Red Fern Grows and I think there was a book called "The Game" that really grabbed my attention in maybe the 4th grade.

...and then a little later The Narnia and LOTR books. And I think I might have started reading the Conan book is the 6th grade, too.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Goodnight Moon, Ping, Mike Mulligan and the Steamshovel. As I got older, I read Nancy Drew, Goosebumps and any Roald Dahl books. Oh and Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree.

I also really liked The Giver.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember some Judy Blume books, "Superfudge", "Tales of a Third Grade Nothing", and one other in that series that I really liked.

I first learned of something that only happens to girls from girls who were reading "Are you there God, it's me Margaret"