Favorite books from childhood

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved all the age appropriate fantasy books growing up but around 10 or so I got into Westerns especially anything written by Max Brand, Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey. Those books led me to ERB's various fantasy series (Tarzan and John Carter of Mars weren't much different than a Zane Grey western AFAIWC.

Around 13 or so I fell in love with the Matt Helm series which led to an appreciation of the men's adventure series genre, a near-addiction that continues to this day.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok just found this thread and haven't read any of it, so I'm going to post mine first then read what everyone elses were...

I was born in 1980 just to give reference to the era I grew up in.

My favorite book as a kid (like before I was 12) was The Giving Tree.

I also loved The City of Ember, The Giver (before they were made into garbage film adaptations) My dad used to get me these choose your own adventure books that I really liked as well, but I cant remember the names.

There was this weird book that my mom got me in the library called (crap trying to remember how to appropriately punctuate book titles... Quotes? no Quotes? Mrs. Kenny my 7th grade english teacher would be so disappointed...

Anyways it was called "Sometimes I think I hear my name..." and I was obsessed with it for a while. Tho I can barely remember what it was about now. :)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just found this thread and haven't read any of it, so I'm going to post mine first then read what everyone elses were...

I was born in 1980 just to give reference to the era I grew up in.

My favorite book as a kid (like before I was 12) was The Giving Tree.

I also loved The City of Ember, The Giver (before they were made into garbage film adaptations) My dad used to get me these choose your own adventure books that I really liked as well, but I cant remember the names.

There was this weird book that my mom got me in the library called (crap trying to remember how to appropriately punctuate book titles... Quotes? no Quotes? Mrs. Kenny my 7th grade english teacher would be so disappointed...

Anyways it was called "Sometimes I think I hear my name..." and I was obsessed with it for a while. Tho I can barely remember what it was about now. :)
Book titles should get underlined; things like magazine articles get quotes...at least, that's to the best of my memory, which is 8 years older than yours. :p

Errntknght

Reaction score
The first letter of each non-trivial word is capitalized, and the first word, trivial or not. Underlined, too, but that's often impossible (unless you have a clever typing pgm like this one.) I use single quotes if I think about it instead...

Come to think of it, the capitalization rule is probably to use the same capitalization the author did, if you know what he/she/they did.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I read all of these

You must be registered for see images attach

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't re-read this thread to see what I originally posted but I remember being into The Giving Tree, Goodnight Moon, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel as a young kiddo. I also remember Ping which I think was about a duck?

I was obsessed with the Berenstein* Bear books which apparently has been spelled BerenSTAIN this entire time and no one knew?!?!?

As a pre-teen I remember loving The Giver. I also read Zlata's Diary which was about a teen who lived in the war torn area of what used to be Sarejevo during the early 90s. I think that area is no longer called that? Too lazy to open a new tab on my phone and check, sorry. I also really liked reading the Archie comics.

Edit: I went back to see what I wrote and amazingly I had most of the same books. Yay Past-Me! I didn't include the Roal Dahl books which I LOOOOOVED. I also read the Nancy Drew books but that was mainly because my mom made me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Edit: I went back to see what I wrote and amazingly I had most of the same books. Yay Past-Me! I didn't include the Roal Dahl books which I LOOOOOVED. I also read the Nancy Drew books but that was mainly because my mom made me.

I always pegged you for a Babysitters Club kinda gal. :p

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
depends how far back I guess, lol... Loved Curious George when I was little.
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were favorites in grade school...then The Stand, read it in a single sitting when I was 12(?)...absolutely terrified right around 3 am, lol. Followed by pretty much anything by Terry Brooks,..Elfstones of Shanara was awesome
in the later teens it was The Belgariad, The Malorion and Dragonlance

I have always been an avid reader...step dad used to beat my ass for reading too much...I would read dictionaries, encyclopedias...anything with words

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My mom read me "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" until the cover literally fell off the book. Any wonder that I would write my own "undersea" story someday. For now, we're involve w/ "Tiny Heart" but down the road I have an undersea- trilogy to release on the world! LOL

BEST TO ALL!

Mark in SC :)

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
Haunt Fox was one of my all time favorites, actually found a paper backed copy a couple of years ago .....took me back to my junior high days! Lol