Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Fall goal set for Westgate construction

If applications OK'd, Sept. groundbreaking possible

Pat Flannery
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 18, 2004 12:00 AM

Westgate City Center, the entertainment and shopping district that developer Steve Ellman promised to build around Glendale Arena, should finally start stirring to life early this fall, city officials say.

Applications for construction permits are under review for most of the project's first phase, and the rest of the initial phase's permit applications are expected to be in hand within days as plans are readied to break ground on roughly 500,000 square feet of retail, office, restaurant and theater space.

Because the city already is partway through the 60- to 90-day review process, Glendale Planning Director Jon Froke said groundbreaking could come as early as September, with completion targeted for late next year in time for the holiday season and Glendale's hosting of the National Hockey League All-Star Game in January 2006.

"We're very excited to have some development going on," Froke said.

Ellman is scheduled to update the Glendale City Council at 8 a.m. Monday behind closed doors, supplying details about the groundbreaking and construction schedule. Ellman and the council have scheduled a press conference to discuss the plans after their meeting.

Any sign of progress is good news to Glendale resident Spencer Hazzard, whose home is directly east of the arena near 91st and Glendale avenues. He said local residents have been awaiting the arrival of amenities nearby.

"That sounds good," Hazzard said. "I think we need restaurants, particularly, over there. We're looking forward to it, living so close. It will make it very convenient."

Westgate is planned as a 223-acre mixed-use development to be built in phases over a decade. At build-out, it is supposed to encompass more than 6 million square feet of space, including several hotels, multistory office buildings, neighborhood and big-box retail outlets, and residential lofts.

However, the project already is well behind schedule. Ellman was to have developed at least 800,000 square feet by last month under his agreement with the city. He faces a penalty of up to $1 million for being late, but the city won't calculate how much he owes until it tallies its first year of sales taxes from the project.

The submission of detailed construction plans has encouraged officials that the first phase, previously estimated to cost $110 million, will soon be fully under construction. Starting north of the arena, it will include water features and pedestrian plazas lined by restaurants and shops. Several four-story buildings will offer office space on upper levels.

While pre-leasing of much of the space generally occurs before construction starts, Ellman has not yet announced the full roster of tenants. Those announced previously include a Loews Cineplex movie theater; a Virgin Megastore music and book store; a Mastro's Steakhouse and a second concept bar and restaurant operated by the Mastro Group; two Fox Restaurant Concepts venues; a Thaifoon Taste of Asia restaurant; a Martini Ranch bar and lounge; and the Phoenix Coyotes headquarters.

The initial rumblings at Westgate coincide with a development spurt expected to occur in the area around the arena. To the south, Cardinals Stadium is a third of the way built and will open in August 2006. Permit applications are soon expected for the first phase of Zanjero, a 158-acre mixed-use development planned by Trammell Crow Co. at the northwestern corner of 91st and Glendale avenues.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
It would be really nice if they could get the majority of that crap up and running before the Super Bowl in 2008.

But I'm not holding my breath.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want an ESPN Zone!!!

Who do I write/call/e-mail?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PANTONE194C said:
It would be really nice if they could get the majority of that crap up and running before the Super Bowl in 2008.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Pantone, the build out of the retail space around the arena will go a lot faster than what the arena is going. It's a lot less sophisticated type of construction and can be built much quicker. You can build a Target/Walmart, etc. in less than a year from breaking ground to the grand opening. It depends on how many parts they break that work up into and how many different contractors they will have working out there.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Pantone, the build out of the retail space around the arena will go a lot faster than what the arena is going. It's a lot less sophisticated type of construction and can be built much quicker. You can build a Target/Walmart, etc. in less than a year from breaking ground to the grand opening. It depends on how many parts they break that work up into and how many different contractors they will have working out there.
Yeah, I understand. However, my reservation is more with Ellman, and how sincere he is in actually getting this done.