Explain to me how this is KK fault

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ultimately the buck stops at the top.

If players stuff up... well you picked them, you're coaching/developing them, you're choosing to involve them in plays. If mistakes keep happening.... The coach is responsible for quality control.

When you're brand new in the role you largely inherit a roster so hands tied to a degree. Over time the team's output becomes more "yours" and a reflection on your system though.

We're probably partway in between What Kliff Inherited and What Kliff Is Building

Are there enough positive signs that we're moving forward and building towards something good? Not sure. I'll defer to posters who actually know the game.

Interesting to see if KK retains faith in himself. Results like today tend to chip away at your inner resolve. The doubts that are being aired and debated on here are likely swirling around in Kliff's mind as well.

You took the words out of my mouth with your opening statement, "the buck stops at the top." President Truman had a similar statement on his desk 'the buck stops here.' As to Finito's opening request to "Explain to me how this is KK's fault" Well, it is because it is. That is where the buck stops. The HC gets the glory when the team wins, the HC is first-one fired when the team bites the dust. In every outcome, with player performance (or lack of) the buck stops with the head coach

Ask all the head coaches in NFL history who have been fired and they will tell you that is the reason. All the players---both on offense and defense---are on the field because K2 put them out there. For the Cards, SK has the ultimate final say on personnel, K2 has the ultimate final say on who is on the field. Of course Kirk dropped a TD pass---but who put Kirk out there in the pass pattern?

Is is fair? No. It's just too hard to fire all the players. The HC gets the fault.

(K2 had Mahomes as his QB at Texas Tech for two years and went 16-21. Who got fired?)

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Haven’t read the whole thread so sorry if this is a repeat but I think KK is struggling to gameplan for Murray’s shoulder at the moment. Hence not much running in the last couple weeks from KM.

KM and KK both seemed tentative in their actions today. But they both did enough to win (barely) other players just didn’t step up.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Haven’t read the whole thread so sorry if this is a repeat but I think KK is struggling to gameplan for Murray’s shoulder at the moment. Hence not much running in the last couple weeks from KM.

KM and KK both seemed tentative in their actions today. But they both did enough to win (barely) other players just didn’t step up.

nah. Mirray threw some backfoot dimes. The shoulder is t an excuse

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If KM has to stay behind the line-of-scrimmage and not run in order to protect his shoulder . . . he is no longer a boy wonder at QB. He is Max Hall who will set a modern record for batted balls and wobbly INTs.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s KK fault because his team has suddenly stopped executing high leverage plays the last TWO GAMES (lol) it was killing the first 9 games.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's see if SK and K2 get on the same page come draft day. What does K2 require in terms of offensive players? Will the Cards move on from those who are either not learning the Air Raid offense or those who do not mesh with KM?

Besides Nuk---will K2 want an entirely new group of WRs? Draft WRs who have played their college careers in the Air Raid. Are our OL guys best for the Air Raid?

The Air Raid is meant to take a less talented offensive group and have them compete with a suprerior D. It requires the QB and the WRs to read the D and run to 'open grass' and for QB to throw to 'open grass.' Way too many passing plays are out-of-sync with balls behind the WR, bounce passes, alley-oop throws, etc. That says either the QB or the WR or both are not grasping the 'open grass' concept. Our WRs are making too many completions based on their acrobatic ability and target circle---and not because KM is delivering the ball where it should be.

There is a long list of Air Raid QBs who made it in the NFL---and a long list of those who didn't. Need to take a critical look at KM---he's not using the middle of the field or even throwing the deep ball. Throws are 10 yards or under and out of his hands in less than 2 seconds. Hard to have a downfield passing game with the dink-and-dunk. The eliminates a big part of the game for AI, Kirk, and even Hop. Cards waited on deep plays to develop---but pocket would collapes before K2 released the ball.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We're a mediocre football team, injured, with a mediocre coach, still learning. second season, and an anomaly season at that. Frankly, 6-5, Ill take it. Frustrated as hell, as we could easily be 9-2. But its year 2, and thankfully for my sanity, football means nothing to me but a three hour respite on a Sunday. Its a long game that builds over the course of the season. By this point we should all realize that we are going to see a barely above 500 football team play for the rest of the year, because well, we've established that fact over 12 weeks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Such a fine line. Without D Hop's Hail Murray catch we could have been 0-4 over the last month. However barring a couple of late Gonzalez misses we could potentially have been 3-1 through the same period.

Individual plays can affect a game, sure. However how strong is the underlying system? Is it robust enough to cope with an error or two?

Great plays can paper over cracks. Blown plays can have you tearing your hair out. However ultimately... do we get 1st downs more regularly than our opponents? Do we force 3 and outs more regularly than our opponents? Do we gain more yards on punt returns than our opponents?

To me as a newbie to the sport those things are a measure of the underlying system. A lot of stock seems to be given to the big 'hero plays' or the big 'bust plays' though, both of which can be governed by luck, instead of what happens most of the time.

If one dropped TD or one missed field goal attempt is the difference between winning and losing then that's a pretty fragile grip on the game. Inevitably stuff goes wrong. Metcalf dropped a soda in the end zone (perhaps easier than Kirk's today) but they still beat us. They could easily have been bemoaning a What If at the end of the game like we are now. They got the job done anyway.

If your apple cart can get upended by a mistake or two then it's a rickety old bomb that won't get you through the season. Can't rely on everything going perfect, especially against better teams. You leave yourself open to having the game pinched.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If KM has to stay behind the line-of-scrimmage and not run in order to protect his shoulder . . . he is no longer a boy wonder at QB. He is Max Hall who will set a modern record for batted balls and wobbly INTs.
This is a really terrible post.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Entertaining thread. Another rough season, it looks like.

Not only should we have taken the points, we got absolutely blessed by penalties preventing a return and extending our TD drive. I have zero confidence KK will ever work past giving this team any real sense of football poise. He's all about "look good, play good," which works in college, but not the pros. I can't imagine Kliff trying to motivate anyone by putting a boot up their ass and telling them to get their head right.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Until Kyler has the willingness to run like Vick/Lamar it’s going to be a frustrating arc. Kliff doesn’t control Kyler’s legs.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Until Kyler has the willingness to run like Vick/Lamar it’s going to be a frustrating arc. Kliff doesn’t control Kyler’s legs.

But remember that KK is supposed to have this amazing offense that would have worked with Rosen! Why are we so dependent on Kyler's legs? He never needed the most mobile QB to dominate on the ground in college or so we were told...

I agree we would win more games if Kyler wanted to run a lot, because when he runs with purpose and we tailor our gameplan to his running, he is one of the best weapons in the NFL....but Kyler has always been promoted as a "throwing QB who can run" and KK should be able to gameplan to move the ball in other ways besides Murray scrambles.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Such a hot take :notworthy:
Why explain it to you when you’re just going to call people crazy or idiots like you always do when your take is questioned?

if you can’t see with your own eyes why Kliff deserves blame in a game like that, no one is going to be able to explain it to you.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But remember that KK is supposed to have this amazing offense that would have worked with Rosen! Why are we so dependent on Kyler's legs? He never needed the most mobile QB to dominate on the ground in college or so we were told...

I agree we would win more games if Kyler wanted to run a lot, because when he runs with purpose and we tailor our gameplan to his running, he is one of the best weapons in the NFL....but Kyler has always been promoted as a "throwing QB who can run" and KK should be able to gameplan to move the ball in other ways besides Murray scrambles.

Anyone who thought/said that was fooling themselves. I remember the McVay comparisons that were lunacy as well.

Murray didn’t do anything in college that projected an elite passing prospect. Hitting guys open by 10 yards isn’t impressive when you look at the numbers of other QB’s in that system.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Hot take #2

Bingo cheese. I can tell you from watching most of Kliffs Tech games, he has changed zero percent. 10 years, same game mismanagement issues, same mediocre football!

QUOTE="cheesebeef, post: 4355864, member: 529"]the Pats had more turnovers then us and 179 total yards and spotted us a 10-0 lead. The idea that your HC is blameless to lose in that scenario is indefensible.

insanity is doin the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. We have now seen Kliff turtle up while driving for FG and seeing his kicker miss every time at the end of 4th quarters. When you’ve seen that once, okay. That’s a problem. When you run the same conservative offense and stick Zane with another long FG and he misses in a second game and you make no changes to your approach in a third straight game, that’s on the coach.

why?because Zane has already proved he can’t hit even a medium range FG at the end of regulation. Which means if you’re the coach, you should KNOW you need to get as close as possible. Kliff turtled up for the 3rd time in a row in the exact same late game scenario. If he can’t see his personnel can’t do what he needs and keeps forcing them to, that as much on the coach as it is the kicker... as it actually is on Keim as well. It’s failure up and down the line.[/QUOTE]

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hot take #2

Bingo cheese. I can tell you from watching most of Kliffs Tech games, he has changed zero percent. 10 years, same game mismanagement issues, same mediocre football! QUOTE="cheesebeef, post: 4355864, member: 529"]the Pats had more turnovers then us and 179 total yards and spotted us a 10-0 lead. The idea that your HC is blameless to lose in that scenario is indefensible.

insanity is doin the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. We have now seen Kliff turtle up while driving for FG and seeing his kicker miss every time at the end of 4th quarters. When you’ve seen that once, okay. That’s a problem. When you run the same conservative offense and stick Zane with another long FG and he misses in a second game and you make no changes to your approach in a third straight game, that’s on the coach.

why?because Zane has already proved he can’t hit even a medium range FG at the end of regulation. Which means if you’re the coach, you should KNOW you need to get as close as possible. Kliff turtled up for the 3rd time in a row in the exact same late game scenario. If he can’t see his personnel can’t do what he needs and keeps forcing them to, that as much on the coach as it is the kicker... as it actually is on Keim as well. It’s failure up and down the line.
[/QUOTE]

Coach Bro don’t do discipline:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wrecke...ersonal-fouls-continue-to-be-problematic/amp/

Buckybird

Reaction score
Yessir.

Against a team struggling to move the ball all season, a struggling QB & a team struggling to score points.

Take the damn 3 points! 100% on Kliff
It was absolutely the wrong call at the end of the half, That was basically free points you threw away and it cost the game.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Kliff also added in the postgame that the QB sneak isn’t even in the playbook with Kyler as the QB
This is Kingsbury today

You must be registered for see images attach

You might as well just let him go now and start wooing prospects

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Coach Bro don’t do discipline:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wrecke...ersonal-fouls-continue-to-be-problematic/amp/[/QUOTE]

jesus. I saw people talk about this being a problem at college also, but just assumed it was piling on.

So... basically we’re getting all of Kliff’s flaws... penalties, bad clock management, mismanaging game situations bad defenses while not even getting elite unseen “genius” on offense?

reading that article and seeing the carry over to the pros just makes me think we’re going to waste Kyler’s rookie contract on Dingsbury even more than I already did.