Expect Jacoby Brissett to be game 1 starter

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, Jacoby Brissett is who I would like to steer the ship for the beginning of the year. I'd like to sign him to a two year deal or so as a spot-starter/backup. No offense to Colt, he's just getting up there in years.

Others have suggested Minshew, who I like, but he's probably looking for a role as a cusp starter in the league, and was better suited for Kliff's Air Raid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think people are reading too much into this without considering the boring elements such as cap space.

Colt McCoy has a $5m cap hit next year and $3.5m of it is dead cap if cut.

Brissett was paid nearly $5m this year and would expect similar.

We don't have the spare cap to be throwing $3.5m of it away and total around $8.5m for a guy that hopefully won't play more than 6 games.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think people are reading too much into this without considering the boring elements such as cap space.

We don't have the spare cap to be throwing $3.5m of it away and total around $8.5m for a guy that hopefully won't play more than 6 games.
Cap space can always be found. I’m not sure why this is still a topic. You cannot expect McCoy to play more than 1-2 games before getting hurt and missing time. He was a terrible signing for this reason. We cannot continue to suffer through Keim and Kliff’s idiocy. Time to cut bait, take our medicine and move on. Give me minshew or Brissett.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cap space can always be found. I’m not sure why this is still a topic. You cannot expect McCoy to play more than 1-2 games before getting hurt and missing time. He was a terrible signing for this reason. We cannot continue to suffer through Keim and Kliff’s idiocy. Time to cut bait, take our medicine and move on. Give me minshew or Brissett.

It cannot be found, it can be borrowed, and however much you borrow it will still be $3.5m less than it could have been.

But yes, they could restructure him and spread it out.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I just can't agree with you on this one... Kyler's potentially going to be out until midseason per reports, and you don't want to rush him back whatsoever. Colt's 37 this season. There's QBs with more natural talents who have faded by that age.

Brissett's not only useful for helping to implement the offense that Petzing ends up running, but can be a longer term option here. Plus, he might be able to at least provide us some hope early in the season. I don't think we'll burst out of the gates, but man, if we're 8 games in and Colt's limp-noodling balls 15 yards down the field at best, any good will for the coaching staff is gonna fade real fast.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Here's why I'd prefer Brissett to Minshew. Jacoby would know and understand that he's a multi-game placeholder only and when Murray is ready, he will be the starter. I think Minshew will be looking for an opportunity to be a full-time starter, if he can...or at least compete to be a full-time starter.

The Cardinals have always treated #1 backups very fairly, IMO....keeping the good ones around for several years, providing that player stability.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just can't agree with you on this one... Kyler's potentially going to be out until midseason per reports, and you don't want to rush him back whatsoever. Colt's 37 this season. There's QBs with more natural talents who have faded by that age.

Brissett's not only useful for helping to implement the offense that Petzing ends up running, but can be a longer term option here. Plus, he might be able to at least provide us some hope early in the season. I don't think we'll burst out of the gates, but man, if we're 8 games in and Colt's limp-noodling balls 15 yards down the field at best, any good will for the coaching staff is gonna fade real fast.

I get that. I'm not saying we shouldn't bring him in but it's not as simple as "Just bring him in".

There is no easy out on Colt and we don't have a lot of cap space considering the players we need to sign or resign.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First, let me just say I am not in the this season is a wash club on this board. Brissett would be a good interim solution and if Bidwill, Monti and the coaching staff do their jobs (spending money, bringing in and developing schemes to fit personnel) we could have a quick turn around.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Does it honestly matter? This team sucks and isn’t doing Jack squat this season no matter who the place keeper is at QB…. Pay your 25% average increase and shut your mouths….

Mike B.
I heard the marketing department pushed back on that a bit when Mike pitched it during his weekly meetings with the department heads.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2022 comparison

Jacoby Brissett:

You must be registered for see images attach

JB also had 243 rushing yards and 2 TDs.

Kyler Murray:
You must be registered for see images attach

KM also had 418 rushing yards and 3 TDs.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
First, let me just say I am not in the this season is a wash club on this board. Brissett would be a good interim solution and if Bidwill, Monti and the coaching staff do their jobs (spending money, bringing in and developing schemes to fit personnel) we could have a quick turn around.
I think the last half of the season will be interesting. I'm not expecting much out of the gates with a new regime, new roster, etcetera. The key will be how the team performs down the stretch setting the stage for 2024. If we struggle again in December, ala Kliff Kingsbury, I'll be concerned.