Execs, coaches rank NFL draft’s top WRs

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Watching Cardinals fans routinely talk themselves into lesser prospects in preemptive attempts to defend baffling upcoming draft decisions is a delightful rite of spring.
You have to admire the pragmatism.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Marvin Harrison Jr. did in-fact, go to the combine.
Oh, cool. Let's compare results then.

Here are Odunze's numbers:

Rome Odunze NFL Scouting Combine Results​

Note: All Scouting Combine results are courtesy of NFL.com

40 Yard Dash: 4.45
10 Yard Split: 1.52
Vertical: 39.00″
Broad: 10’4″
3-Core Drill: 6.88
20-Yd Shuttle: 4.03

Please share MHJ's so we can compare them.

Thanks in advance.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's pretty bizarre that there's so much peacocking about contested catch rate here. Look beyond the percentages and you'll find out that there's just a lot of noise.

Odunze: 77 targets, 18 contested targets, 16 contested catches
Harrison, Jr: 73 targets, 20 contested targets, 14 contested catches.
Cherry Picking per usual.

Remember when you were saying having more contested catches wasn't a good thing? Apparently according to his percentages, Odunze had a lower contested catch percentage than MHJ.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Well, they could at least post his pro day numbers…. Oh wait….

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

He’s preparing for the NFL not the draft. You have to attend the combine for medical evaluation.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Remember when you were saying having more contested catches wasn't a good thing? Apparently according to his percentages, Odunze had a lower contested catch percentage than MHJ.
I guess. I mean, if you think that two more contested targets are meaningful here, I guess that's completely up to you.

I personally don't, and said why. But go ahead and support your point instead of dismissing it. Such unappealing behavior and bad for the board.

Can't we just talk football?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
What Gator said.

Also, lmao at you talking about playing in the bowl game. That "bowl game" was the playoffs. Of course he would play in it, just like MHJR did last year when Ohio State made the playoffs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
report after report where scouts say the three are so close --

aside from fit with what the Cardinals want to do, do you really think rankings of the three WRs matter? Its a distinction without a difference

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
report after report where scouts say the three are so close --

aside from fit with what the Cardinals want to do, do you really think rankings of the three WRs matter? Its a distinction without a difference
This.

My only push back are against the "wE hAvE the git mURviN hUrRiSOnZ oRz wE sToOpidZ," crowd.

These guys are all elite prospects.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess. I mean, if you think that two more contested targets are meaningful here, I guess that's completely up to you.
That's just his charting. Other charting I've seen are significantly different, like Harrison at 40% vs Odunze at 70%.
I personally don't, and said why. But go ahead and support your point instead of dismissing it.
I think if you were to want to waste your time and put all of the numbers to together, you'll still see that Odunze is better by anyone's charting.

It's just one litmus, there are other skills to judge WRs.
Such unappealing behavior and bad for the board.

Can't we just talk football?
LOL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Watching Cardinals fans routinely talk themselves into lesser prospects in preemptive attempts to defend baffling upcoming draft decisions is a delightful rite of spring.
Often accompanied by concerns of saving cap space to be able to sign a meaningful player that is never actually signed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's just his charting. Other charting I've seen are significantly different, like Harrison at 40% vs Odunze at 70%.

I guess. "Other charting." Then percentages when shown that the percentages disguise very small differences as actually being large and meaningful.

I'm sure you'll show your work and cite your sources.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Gator said.

Also, lmao at you talking about playing in the bowl game. That "bowl game" was the playoffs. Of course he would play in it, just like MHJR did last year when Ohio State made the playoffs.
He played last season because he wasn't skipping the rest of his college career to go pro. There's a difference. He's the type to skip even a meaningful bowl game for fear of injury before starting his NFL career. Maybe it is him and maybe it is advice from MHS.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He played last season because he wasn't skipping the rest of his college career to go pro. There's a difference. He's the type to skip even a meaningful bowl game for fear of injury before starting his NFL career. Maybe it is him and maybe it is advice from MHS.
It is great advice. I'm not sure why it is being portrayed as a bad thing. Millions of dollars are at stake.

OP
OP
daves

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - one day later, The Athletic writes that a (presumably different!) group of "Coaches pick Nabers over Harrison" and Odunze! Plenty of good new quotes, worth skirting the limits of acceptable use:
I came away from the NFL Scouting Combine thinking that the two closest players to sure things were Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr. and Washington’s Rome Odunze. [....] I’d assumed he would be the No. 1 guy on everyone’s wide receivers board. But apparently, that is not the case. At all.
Quotes from four coaches and a scout:
“(Harrison’s) not No. 1 to me,” said a veteran NFL receivers coach, whose team is in the market for another top receiver, and whom we’ll ID as WR Coach 1. “Nabers is the No. 1 on my list and I think he is on a lot of people’s lists. He’s just different to me. I don’t think it’s anything toward Marvin, it’s just really that Nabers is that good. His skills with the ball in his hands are really different. His acceleration is just different. His explosive is different. He tracks the ball really well. He’s a smaller guy but he can still play outside. He’s rare in a lot of ways. He’s got some Ja’Marr Chase in him, some DJ Moore skills. I hesitate to say this because Tyreek Hill’s speed is just so different from anybody in the league, but Nabers has some of that kind of burst and just so explosive off the line of scrimmage.

“He’s as fast as the person chasing him. He’s gonna run away from whoever. If Deion was chasing him, he’d go 4.21 or whatever. He’s the best WR prospect since Chase and on tape, I think he’s even more impressive. This dude is different.”

Another long-time NFL assistant, who has coached receivers and been an NFL offensive coordinator, agreed that Nabers was the top receiver prospect.

“It’s Nabers and then there’s a gap,” said Offensive Assistant 1. “He is the best wide receiver in the draft in a couple of years, maybe more. He is Tyreek Hill combined with both of those San Francisco guys (Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk). He is so explosive. He has a second gear. He can stop on a dime. He breaks tackles. You can’t jam him because he’s just too quick and if you miss at all, he’s gonna outrun you. He’s really competitive but he can be a pain in the ass. He’ll be the guy who’ll have something to say to the coordinator coming off the field. He’s got that edge to him where he doesn’t know when to let up. He doesn’t know that those guys are on his side.”

Scout 1: “Nabers is so much more explosive. I think he has more upside. I don’t know if I trust him like I trust Marvin. I trust Marvin to be disciplined.”

WR Coach 2: “We have Nabers as No. 1. He’s got all the ability in the world. He’s got Receiver No. 1 written all over him. He does have some stuff he’s got to clean up. Route running, which will come naturally with the right coach and group of receivers. So much upside. He just brings a different presence. His physicality. You see that on tape. He’s got that dawg in him.”

“Marvin is great too,” said WR Coach 1. “You question just how fast he is. He can take the top off and he’s got elite ball skills and elite tracking. I don’t see 23 mph — that’s really, really fast. He’s to me more of a glider, build-up speed type of guy. Which you would expect, because he is huge.”

Offensive Assistant 1: “Marvin is really good. Polished. If you’re looking to pick on something, he’s not gonna run by people. They’re gonna squat on him at the top of the break. He’s good. I just wished he did the testing. He comes across as casual a little bit.”

Scout 1: “I think Marvin is pretty damn explosive. Physically, he’s like a 6-3 CeeDee Lamb. He just doesn’t have that innate dog that Malik has.”

WR Coach 2: “Harrison is like a fluid, smooth receiver. He doesn’t have the same elite traits like Nabers. He can separate and catches the ball real well. I don’t think he wows you.”

Scout 1: “Rome is the safest guy of the receivers. He’s just not as talented as Malik or Harrison as far as getting consistent separation at an NFL level. I trust him a little more than those guys. As far as strength through the catch, he might be the best. He’s built right to last and run routes.”

WR Coach 1: “He’s great at tracking the ball; he’s rugged and has good run after the catch ability. Can play inside and out, and he’s so smart — like different type of smart. He can pick things up so easily and will adapt easily to the pro game because of the system and the concepts they had there, and that really shows up in his game.”

Offensive Assistant 1: “I like the grit and his lower body is really strong. But he’s not running by people or closing cushion like Nabers does.”

WR Coach 2: “I think you have a top two with Malik and Marvin, and then I think there’s Rome, who I don’t think is in that same tier as those two. Rome has the make-up to be really good but in my opinion he doesn’t have the elite traits like the other two. I question his top-end (speed). He doesn’t have that juice like Nabers. He’s more of a possession-type receiver. He’s a more polished route runner, but I don’t think he’s to the level of Marvin.”
There were lots more quotes from these coaches and scout regarding Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ricky Pearsall, Roman Wilson, Keon Coleman, Malachi Corley, Ladd McConkey, Tez Walker, Xavier Legette, Ja’Lynn Polk, and Jalen McMillan. And then, some somewhat unconventional evaluations of the top QBs in the draft.

My takeaway is that I think I'll be happy if the Cards get any one of these three.

Reaction score
Wow - one day later, The Athletic writes that a (presumably different!) group of "Coaches pick Nabers over Harrison" and Odunze! Plenty of good new quotes, worth skirting the limits of acceptable use:

Quotes from four coaches and a scout:

There were lots more quotes from these coaches and scout regarding Brian Thomas, Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ricky Pearsall, Roman Wilson, Keon Coleman, Malachi Corley, Ladd McConkey, Tez Walker, Xavier Legette, Ja’Lynn Polk, and Jalen McMillan. And then, some somewhat unconventional evaluations of the top QBs in the draft.

My takeaway is that I think I'll be happy if the Cards get any one of these three.
Sounds to me like they are trying to puff up Nabers so people shy away from the other two. Week of the draft & all. Never know though. I still want MHJ over the other two. Odunze would be my 2nd preference.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Don't hate me, but I still say Brian Thomas will end up the best out of the bunch, in this draft. Just hearing what his OC said about him has me convinced. Talked about how good he really is and that he can do anything on the field, he just wasn't asked to do more at LSU because of Nabers. Whoever gets him at the back half of the 1st is getting a gem.

OP
OP
daves

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't hate me, but I still say Brian Thomas will end up the best out of the bunch, in this draft. Just hearing what his OC said about him has me convinced. Talked about how good he really is and that he can do anything on the field, he just wasn't asked to do more at LSU because of Nabers. Whoever gets him at the back half of the 1st is getting a gem.
Here's what the article had to say about Thomas:
Led by Nabers, Harrison and Odunze, this is overall an excellent group of receivers, much better than last year’s class (Ohio State’s Jaxon Smith-Njigba was the first off the board at No. 20).

“After them, there is a big drop-off,” said WR Coach 2.

On Brian Thomas​

The next guy is likely LSU’s Brian Thomas, who is built similarly to Harrison but with longer, almost 33-inch arms. Thomas ran a 4.33 40, vertical jumped 38 1/2 inches and broad jumped 10-6.

Offensive Assistant 1: “As long as he’s running posts and go balls, it’s fantastic. The rest of the route tree is where he loses a lot.”

WR Coach 1: “He’s got some wiggle and can sink his hips, but he just wasn’t asked to run everything on the (route) tree. He was more of a vertical guy. You worry about his ball skills a little. … I do think he has an enormous ceiling, maybe as much as anybody, because of his size and how fast he is.”

WR Coach 2: “He’s a deep threat but he’s not that physical. Not that great of a route runner. Has struggled to get separation on his own. When he gets to the next level, when he sees press almost every snap and there’s sticky coverage, how will he win? He’s got the traits you want. He still has a lot of room to grow. Does he have that edge in him? When he visited with us, he was very quiet and reserved.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Dude if those are the numbers you’ve been basing your “odunze’s better” argument it’s totally weaksauce. Those aren’t statistically significant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn