Evolution of the Big 8...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
From previous years...

Nash: Ice cold veins in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. The "money" guy. Simply the best all-around player on the planet.

Barbosa: Has learned how to protect the ball when driving and finishing. Finishes the ball high off the glass. Game is slowing down for him. Not sure any team or player can keep him out of the paint.

Amare: Soft touch around the rim. Better rebounder and passer. Weak-side D gets better and better. Arguably the best finisher in the game. Raw explosiveness still a work in progress.

Bell: Play's with a chip on his shoulder and is their 1st option on the treys. Nads of stone down the stretch.

Marion: Has accepted his role on this team. No longer do you see him trying to dribble unnecessarily, or take shots outside the realm of this offense. There are not 10 other players in the game you'd rather have if building a team from scratch.

KT: Came into this season in great shape, and is a solid big man off the bench. Will hit the open 15 footer, as he has his whole career. Needs to get and stay healthy.

Diaw: A nightmare matchup for any opposing team. Still trying to find a consistent 20 footer... but still good enough to keep D's honest. Scottie Pippen Part II.

James Jones: Struggled mightily with his shot earlier this year year (and last year). However, his D and ball awareness kept him on the floor. Now that his shot is falling... one of the reasons PHX is running teams out of the gym.

And, that's why their winning (along with a brilliant and focused coaching staff).

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Almost all true, I'd say. I don't agree that Diaw is another Pippen, yet. Too nice--Pippen was not nice. That may be the problem with this whole team--they're all really nice. Even KT, even Bell--when he was frustrated to hell by Kobe and the refs, what he did was a NICE put-down. That scares me. I'd love to see a really skilled, nice team win, but I dunno. Maybe Nash's determination can pull them through, but I fear we need a Maurice Lucas or a Kevin McHale.... Or Diaw can mind-meld with Ginobili.... [But the thought makes me want to puke.]

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion: Has accepted his role on this team. No longer do you see him trying to dribble unnecessarily, or take shots outside the realm of this offense. There are not 10 other players in the game you'd rather have if building a team from scratch.

I can pretty much guarantee you that is not the case. Marion is a complimentary role player. No GM in the league would take Marion and build their team around him. It is not what Marion does. I have no doubt that he would be the second player chosen on every team though. That doesn't mean that there are 30 players better in the league, it just means that you do not build a team around Marion. You compliment a team with Marion.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbosa has shown a great deal of maturity this year in being able to attack other defensive looks. This is the first year I've seen him boldly attack zones by driving into the heart, and he seems to know what to do with the ball this year when teams shut him off in the lane. He's developed more consistentcy with his finishes and he's finding the occasional open man on his drives.

Most importantly, the coaching staff have given him the keys to the Ferrari ... told him to play Brazilian style when Nash is out. He doesn't seem concerned any more about doing it all himself when he's in charge. He's stopped pretending to be Steve Nash and he's more comfortable being Leandro, the Brazilian Blur.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard