ESPN reports Kim for Hillenbrand trade

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
This goes along with the cost-cutting measures. Hillebrand provides more bang for the buck. The numbers don't lie.

IF Kim is a clubhouse cancer (as is being reported), then he was going to be gone anyways.

Let's hope this isn't the only move.

Give Joe props for trying to make something happen.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Well I have been saying since Damian Miller was traded that the D-Backs are cutting salaries and payroll and there has not been one single move made that didn't cut payroll by replacing a more expensive player with a less expensive, except signing McCracken to a way excessive salary.

Miller > Moeller
Helling>Dessens (plus add in $1 mil he came with)
Durazo>Overbay
Colbrunn>Baerga

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Geez, BK ain't Nolan Ryan folks...

No crap. It's not like we just traded a guy who slept during games, had been mentioned as a club house cancer AND single-handedly tried to lose our one and only championship - oh wait - YEAH WE DID!. That kid had zero gut, period - which makes him gutless! Gutless! Have fun pitching in Yankee Stadium you bitch!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
No crap. It's not like we just traded a guy who slept during games, had been mentioned as a club house cancer AND single-handedly tried to lose our one and only championship - oh wait - YEAH WE DID!. That kid had zero gut, period - which makes him gutless! Gutless! Have fun pitching in Yankee Stadium you bitch!

That was uncalled for. Kim didn't try to lose the games. I do think his heart could be questioned, though. I think in the end our surplus of young pitching and lack of offense led to this deal, and I think Shea will breakout here in the desert, ala Gonzo and Bautista.

adam

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
That was uncalled for. Kim didn't try to lose the games. I do think his heart could be questioned, though. I think in the end our surplus of young pitching and lack of offense led to this deal, and I think Shea will breakout here in the desert, ala Gonzo and Bautista.

adam

oh give me a break - like I really meant that Kim actually "tried to lose the world series for us". The guy was ridiculously overrated, and in his biggest moment on the biggest stage he failed - TWICE! Good riddance to a guy who doesn't even care enough to watch his own team.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
oh give me a break - like I really meant that Kim actually "tried to lose the world series for us". The guy was ridiculously overrated, and in his biggest moment on the biggest stage he failed - TWICE! Good riddance to a guy who doesn't even care enough to watch his own team.

Ok, my bad. I'll agree, though, his heart and attitude can be called into question here.

adam

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If it was not for Kim replacing the injured Mantei in 2001 the Diamondbacks would never of made it to the World Series. KBK was unbelievable as a reliever during that season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90

If it was not for Kim replacing the injured Mantei in 2001 the Diamondbacks would never of made it to the World Series. KBK was unbelievable as a reliever during that season.

Kim was good - unbelievable? Do you know how strong of a word that is to describe someone? John Smoltz has been unbelievable, Eric Gagne(who I hate) has been unbelievable for the Dodgers. Kim was a good closer - just because he played for us didn't make him great. He was good plain and simple. And now he;s gone -plain and simple - he can go sleep on Boston's bench and give up dingers to the Yanks all year long now.

I will thank him though. If not for him, we wouldn't have had to win the Series in the most ridiculous glorious fashion that we did and his collapse allowed me to attend all 4 Series home games. So thanks for sucking in the Series Kim and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
methinks the d-backs board peeps don't really know the 'beef yet. but it seems you will . . . oh you will - Ah-HAHAHAHAAAAA!

BK, don't fall asleep as the door hits your caboose on the way out.

btw, how old is shea?

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score

Damn, how much money did you lose on those games to give out such love to BK??

Oh well, it's a done deal, so onward we go...BTW, I heard a blurb on the Jim Rome show today that the Yankees were possibly looking at Mark Grace - - does anyone think that would be possible, or was Rome talking out his a@@ again??

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
guys, i cast my vote on hillenbrand, as well. i know we have a poor track record trading away young talent, but look what we have: an incredible surplus of starting pitching. we have webb, good, and patterson, maybe even capuano...we just had to get rid of one of them at least. while i'd rather it wasn't kim, we had little choice: remember the maxim: you get what you pay for?

at any rate, i love this deal because it's addition by subtraction: anything that keeps williams on the bench is a deal i approve of. now, THAT GUY is a cancer. and if it costs kim to lose him, then so be it. hillenbrand is young and good, a real small-ball kinda guy, someone who helps the pitching we have with his great defense, and the best part of it is that he has a nice upside if he improves.

kim was good, but i think hillenbrand will be well worth it. i sure hope the offense picks up around him...man, i bet gonzo loves this trade, too...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by IndyDback
Damn, how much money did you lose on those games to give out such love to BK??

Oh well, it's a done deal, so onward we go...BTW, I heard a blurb on the Jim Rome show today that the Yankees were possibly looking at Mark Grace - - does anyone think that would be possible, or was Rome talking out his a@@ again??

Why does everyone always ask me if I lost money on people I hate? Can't I just hate them because they almost drove me to the depths of insanity during the World Series? Can't I love sports that much? Well, now that I think about - I HAVE SICK SPORTS PROBLEMS! But regardless Kim was never gonna win a big game for us, this mvoes keeps Matty's ass on the bench and hopefully adds a bat to this woeful offense that will be able to hold the fort down and scrath back to .500 so that when Rnady come sback we can hoepfully make some kind of 2nd half run.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Smolder
i love this deal because it's addition by subtraction: anything that keeps williams on the bench is a deal i approve of.
I was hoping that someone would point that out!

We still have to see if Bob Brenly is willing to give Hillenbrand the 3B job and a set place in the batting order, to let the D'backs begin functioning as a unit.

Today's Republic reported that BB dissed "those guys in the other room" (the players) and said something about "I've tried my best to mix-and-match".

40 different lineups in 45 games, or something like that . . .

It's time for some continuity and establishing roles that our players can get accustomed to!

It's time for Brenly to stop his obsessive "over-managing".

AZZenny

Reaction score
Bad deal, stupid GM, and JC shows no awareness that Joe Jr. is totally self-deluding, and can't pull off a hard-nosed deal - he would pay sticker-price plus all the extras if he was buying a car, and be thrilled with himself. And he clearly has NO damn clue about our own minor leaguers (or how to bring guys up sensibly). The only way I can digest this is if they'd just CUT Matty, too, for the roster spot, and bring up Hammock.

So- It saves us $3 Mill a year for a couple years. They may think it'll put more Mesa butts in the stands. Hillenbrandt's BA will drop a predictable notch when he faces NL hitters for the first few months, but we do have 15 interleague games in June. He's supposed to be a nice enough guy.

-- and BK will discover ...Boston fans. (Evil smile)

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Why does everyone always ask me if I lost money on people I hate? Can't I just hate them because they almost drove me to the depths of insanity during the World Series? Can't I love sports that much?

There usually seems to be a lot of monetary pain involved with such hatred towards one player or team, but as someone who woke up my family & several neighbors when Jay Bell crossed the plate in Game 7, I understand your love of sports.

I'm not against trading BK (or anyone, to a point), but it seems like the trade value of BK was a lot higher than merely getting Hillenbrand in return, which the same reason that we got hosed in the Durazo/Dessens deal. If Shea turns out to be the RH bat we sorely needed, I'll be more than happy to put some crow out on the grill for dinner - I'd be happier if Dessens would start performing like the #3 starter we brought him here for!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, keeps Matty on the bench - You wanna BET? With BB calling the shots? You wish! It'll keep Grace and Overbay (to us he's struggling, but he's the second-best-hitting rookie in NL) on the bench as much as Matty, is my guess, (and Baerga) since Joe Jr was saying how happy they were he plays a lot of first base, too.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hillenbrand went to my high school. Mountain View in Mesa.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just the beginning of the bloodletting.

Matt Williams, Tony Womack, Steve Finley, and Curt Schilling are next.

As far as trading away young players, the Colangelos have a long history of not waiting for young players to develop with the Suns. Stephen Jackson, Steve Nash and Michael Finley come to mind immediately.

Rebuilding is good and frankly, overdue. Unfortunately, we are saddled with the always injured Mantei and the overrated Gonzalez.

I know nothing about Hillenbrand but anything that sits Matt Williams is a good move.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trade

This was not as poor a trade as many of you are making it out to be.

Hillenbrand is a promising player, this is his third season in the majors. He hit .263 as a rookie, .293 last year and is hitting .303 this year. He's not a power hitter like your typical 3B/1B type, but he gets a good number of RBIs and hits well in the clutch. If I have a complaint, I'd like to see him walk more. (25 walks last year versus 95 Ks).

Kim is a promising young pitcher. If he hadn't made such a fuss about wanting to be a starter, I would have been upset with this trade. As a starter he's above average, but not special. As a closer, he was reliable but not special.

Both players are in a position in their career where they could blossom and be better than they are today. Today, I see them as about even in value, but I think Kim has shown about how good he is while I think Shea is still showing improvement.

I think this was a good move by the D-backs. We needed the offense a lot more than the arm. He's a good third baseman and Matt Williams has not put up good numbers of late. I'm not a Womak fan and I hope Council can come in at Shortstop. Suddenly, I'm happy with our infield on both sides of the ball (Spivey, Council, Hillenbrand).

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
The biggest problem i have with this trade is that it isnt going to get us into the playoffs. Therfore, what is it? Its not a move to the future, the guy is almost 28 and Kim 24. If it is a a salary dump, call it a salary dump. I overlooked the Schilling trade, but i will not call the Mantei trade a good trade. yes, it got us the division championship but the closer role is arguably the most overrated role in the MLB. What i really have a problem with is Shea's OBP and OPS, both of which are well below even good. If the Dbacks make the playoffs, even if Shea doesnt do well, i will eat crow but if they dont i do not see how this is a good trade. I watched Tracy tonight and do not believe he is ready to take over at third full time, but if we dont make the playoffs what does it matter, he will be sometime next year and Shea will be in the way with his .317 OBP.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
What is it about Tracy that he needs to improve on? I have never seen him play, I just go by his stats. Give us a scouting report on the guy.

Thanks

outcent

Rookie
Reaction score
Because Hillenbrand isn't a fly-ball hitter, Fenway actually hurt him. He hit just 10 of his 33 career homers at home. And his slugging percentage and OPS were more than 100 points higher away from Boston. So he may actually be more productive in Arizona without the Green Monster getting in the way of all his line drives.

This quote from Jayson Stark is what really has me optimistic.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn