ESPN Believes Cards Can Be a Quick Rebuild.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. But it rarely was.
If I remember correctly You used an example where Kyler picked up 7 yards on first down throwing to his open receiver on his first read while he missed an open guy that might have gone for 25 or more. That isn't bad play from Kyler.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I can envy the Bengals at having their QB position settled and also say I regret getting the first overall pick a year early…I am jealous of the Bengals not a fan of them.

Okay, I'm jealous too obviously. What I'm saying Zeno is that if you're jealous and envious of someone or something, you generally don't like them. It's much more likely that you dislike them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I remember correctly You used an example where Kyler picked up 7 yards on first down throwing to his open receiver on his first read while he missed an open guy that might have gone for 25 or more. That isn't bad play from Kyler.

It was 4 defenders vs 2 WRs on one side and 3 receivers vs 2 defenders on the other. How's he not adjusting to take advantage of that? Any dog crap QB can force it into double coverage on 1st read for 6 yards.

You think Allen, Mahomes, Burrow etc aren't taking advantage of the mismatch?

Anyway we've been over this, we won't agree.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 4 defenders vs 2 WRs on one side and 3 receivers vs 2 defenders on the other. How's he not adjusting to take advantage of that? Any dog crap QB can force it into double coverage on 1st read for 6 yards.

You think Allen, Mahomes, Burrow etc aren't taking advantage of the mismatch?
Because his first read was open. You don't pass up sure things on first down to go through progressions when your first one was open and where something may not be available later, potentially missing your opportunity.

Anyway we've been over this, we won't agree.
Agreed.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because his first read was open. You don't pass up sure things on first down to go through progressions when your first one was open and where something may not be available later, potentially missing your opportunity.

Agreed.

My point is it shouldn't be his first read. As soon as you see what the defense is doing you change your first read to one of the 3 vs 2 guys. Any good QB would.

If he's just going to robotically throw to read #1 as the playbook says why are we paying him all that money? Any donkey could do that.

His job is to diagnose the defense and adjust accordingly.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My point is it shouldn't be his first read. As soon as you see what the defense is doing you change your first read to one of the 3 vs 2 guys. Any good QB would.

If he's just going to robotically throw to read #1 as the playbook says why are we paying him all that money? Any donkey could do that.

your lack of understanding in how read progressions work is disturbing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But that isn't on him initially. The play design and reads is the OC/HC responsibility first and foremost.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Heh... look, i dig kyler. I would game with him if it wasnt cod.

Sure i would like him to be more.....something..

But he never gets accused of rape. There are no videos of him doing the naked hot tub sqirm with the asu cheer squad... dude has never gotten **** faced and watched as his entourage kicked the **** out of an overzealous fan at the club...

So he dont do puff pieces.
Okay.
Man, I am STILL a fan oaken. After all of the crap, and angst we've suffered. He's still my guy and our qb. I refuse to turn my back on him and think he's not the player to lead us where we want to go, especially after I was losing my mind week after week last season in an unparalleled stretch of Cardinal football the likes of which we hadn't seen since the SB run. He needs to improve his play, his attitude, and work ethic to become an elite player, but I back him until the Arizona Cardinals say not to.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Man, I am STILL a fan oaken. After all of the crap, and angst we've suffered. He's still my guy and our qb. I refuse to turn my back on him and think he's not the player to lead us where we want to go, especially after I was losing my mind week after week last season in an unparalleled stretch of Cardinal football the likes of which we hadn't seen since the SB run. He needs to improve his play, his attitude, and work ethic to become an elite player, but I back him until the Arizona Cardinals say not to.
I still go back to last season. I mentioned it a year ago but somewhere around week 12 something happened. The entire team was off after that not just kyler. They were unfocused and unprepared, just discombobulated as a whole. Purely speculation but based on following events maybe someone went on a drunken rant during a team meeting or something, lol. whatever happened didnt just affect one side of the ball.
But kyler...its potential and flashes.... thoroughly frustrating.... but also tantalizing. The kid has the talent to be all world. But so did Todd Marinovich

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler was bad last year. If you want to argue that there were reasons he was bad outside of his control, that is a different argument.

You could cite offensive line injuries as a reason he was bad...but that doesn't change the fact that he was bad.
Sorry, I disagree. Kyler was prevented from being himself because we were a HORRIBLE football team, with yes, a ton of injuries everywhere, not just the OL. Add a God awful HC & you have a situation where no QB in the NFL would have been spared. Without Murray, we would have been lucky if we won a single game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree. Kyler was prevented from being himself because we were a HORRIBLE football team, with yes, a ton of injuries everywhere, not just the OL. Add a God awful HC & you have a situation where no QB in the NFL would have been spared. Without Murray, we would have been lucky if we won a single game.
Psst, he was part of what made us horrible ;)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But that isn't on him initially. The play design and reads is the OC/HC responsibility first and foremost.

What? He has to adjust to what the defense are showing pre and post snap. If all the QB had to do was execute the play as written down and schmuck could do it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Okay, I'm jealous too obviously. What I'm saying Zeno is that if you're jealous and envious of someone or something, you generally don't like them. It's much more likely that you dislike them.

Not in my world. Joe Burrow is everything this franchise needs and it sucks that we can only watch in envy. I can watch the guy play and appreciate how good he is and think, we just are so freaking unlucky.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I just started another thread asking who will be our starting Qb on opening day. Who do you think , Harry?
I think they’ll proceed with caution and start McCoy. So much depends on how badly Murray wants it. His athleticism is almost off the charts. Generally speaking those are the players who recover fastest and as close to pre-injury as possible. Despite all the speculation on the board, nothing tests the mettle of an athlete like a major injury recovery. That’s when we will truly know how badly Murray wants to excel at football.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am thinking that Cards will get one of the QBs that have been floating starters, as I call them, that have had limited success starting for different teams over the last decade or so. Those guys that seem to move to a new team, win the starting job, but do not make it through the whole season before being replaced by another floater.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to reading progressions, I still like Warner‘s idea of creating 2 route choices to learn the process.
Warner was one of the QB's that always knew where all the receivers were going to be on every play

That's how he was able to throw them open

Have to know how to read D first and foremost

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What? He has to adjust to what the defense are showing pre and post snap. If all the QB had to do was execute the play as written down and schmuck could do it.

Well, I guess there's a 'schmuck' in San Fran who is one win away from a Super Bowl appearance doing just that. ;)

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Warner was one of the QB's that always knew where all the receivers were going to be on every play

That's how he was able to throw them open

Have to know how to read D first and foremost

As his interception numbers attest, Warner was a gunslinger, a very good one.

KM has been trained to be more risk-averse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose