ESPN Believes Cards Can Be a Quick Rebuild.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah i get the point. We are looking for signs of true character and insight into who Kyler is given none of us really know. So the obvious 1st step is "what do other great QB leaders do that are your franchise?". "Do they promote the brand?". "Now that they are millionaires 10 times over, do they spend time in the community for which their brand exists to help and do something thats not about themself?". "Do they do anything to help grow the fan base, e.g. leverage media channels as such?". These are things that i believe are important when you are a leader and care about your team, fans and the brand. It of course has nothing to do with playing football as an NFL QB, but it sure as hell gives SOME insight into whether or not as franchise QB you are cable of leading a team to success. With that said, those traits above or the lack there may not tell the whole story and we may never know. Even if Kyler had those traits the team could still suck. :)

Thank you. Someone get's it. You got exactly what I mean.

What you do off the field not only tells us who you are as a person but how much you care about this very unique and priviledged position you have been given. If you can't lead the franchise off the field how can you lead it on it?

Look what Burrow has done for the Bengals. That franchise was a laughing stock and one of the worst in the league and what he has done there to revitalise that franchise is not only down to what he has done on the field but what he has done off it. People like Joe Burrow, so they like the Bengals by association. Burrow has given that Org credibility. If Joe Burrow just showed up and played football then went home and didn't work in the community and make himself available to fans and the media like he does he wouldn't have achieved what he has.

I don't know how people can say this doesn't matter at all. The QB is the figurehead of the organisation. The player that will always draw the most attention. It's encumbant on them to promote the Cardinals brand. To represent this organisation off the field as much as on it. To inspire a bunch of kids across the nation to be Kyler Murray fans and thus become Cadinals fans. It wouldn't suprise me if there were more young kids in Arizona that wear Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes or Joe Burrow shirts.

Even on a most basic level fans would be more forgiving of his poor form if we had some kind of connection to him or felt he had any connection or love for the fans or the Org or the state. The fans in Buffalo put up with Josh Allens rough seasons because they liked him as a person. It gave him leeway.

Let me ask people this. What excuse could he possibly have for there not being 40 examples (or even just 20) in his 4 years in Arizona or his doing work in the community? What possible excuse could he have for us not being able to pull up a long list of "Kyler visits sick children in hospital" or "Kyler Murray appears at Arizona charity event" or even "Kyler Murray hosts youth football weekend for underpriviledged kids". Hell he could even make it all about himself and have a "Kyler Murray charity softball game" like Larry did and get to hit a few balls. He has no wife and kids to take up his time.

I'd settle for anything that indicates he gives the slightest crap about this Org and it's not just a job he turns up to do and could just as easily be Denver, or Houston, or Tennesee.

People keep saying I don't like Kyler and anything he does I'd find fault with. I don't know him to like him or not. After 4 years I know as much about him as the day we drafted him. He's the guy at the office that doesn't mix with anyone so the only thing I have to judge him on is his work.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Murray is as good as the top draft QB group this year, which isn’t stellar. Much will depend on whether the interviewees have a plan to move him forward. He is still a far better athlete than the new group members and he can throw the tree. I’m not sold Murray will be a great QB, but with the right cast and system I think he can be a good one.
If the Cardinals have a top three pick next year, I'm drafting Drake Maye. I would consider drafting him even if Murray has a decent year next year because that kid is really good.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Someone get's it. You got exactly what I mean.

What you do off the field not only tells us who you are as a person but how much you care about this very unique and priviledged position you have been given. If you can't lead the franchise off the field how can you lead it on it?

Look what Burrow has done for the Bengals. That franchise was a laughing stock and one of the worst in the league and what he has done there to revitalise that franchise is not only down to what he has done on the field but what he has done off it. People like Joe Burrow, so they like the Bengals by association. Burrow has given that Org credibility. If Joe Burrow just showed up and played football then went home and didn't work in the community and make himself available to fans and the media like he does he wouldn't have achieved what he has.

I don't know how people can say this doesn't matter at all. The QB is the figurehead of the organisation. The player that will always draw the most attention. It's encumbant on them to promote the Cardinals brand. To represent this organisation off the field as much as on it. To inspire a bunch of kids across the nation to be Kyler Murray fans and thus become Cadinals fans. It wouldn't suprise me if there were more young kids in Arizona that wear Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes or Joe Burrow shirts.

Even on a most basic level fans would be more forgiving of his poor form if we had some kind of connection to him or felt he had any connection or love for the fans or the Org or the state. The fans in Buffalo put up with Josh Allens rough seasons because they liked him as a person. It gave him leeway.

Let me ask people this. What excuse could he possibly have for there not being 40 examples (or even just 20) in his 4 years in Arizona or his doing work in the community? What possible excuse could he have for us not being able to pull up a long list of "Kyler visits sick children in hospital" or "Kyler Murray appears at Arizona charity event" or even "Kyler Murray hosts youth football weekend for underpriviledged kids". Hell he could even make it all about himself and have a "Kyler Murray charity softball game" like Larry did and get to hit a few balls. He has no wife and kids to take up his time.

I'd settle for anything that indicates he gives the slightest crap about this Org and it's not just a job he turns up to do and could just as easily be Denver, or Houston, or Tennesee.

People keep saying I don't like Kyler and anything he does I'd find fault with. I don't know him to like him or not. After 4 years I know as much about him as the day we drafted him. He's the guy at the office that doesn't mix with anyone so the only thing I have to judge him on is his work.
Damn Brit, we don’t always agree but this is an excellent post.
He has done nothing to be that “ likable “ guy.
If fact he’s done just the opposite. I said the day he signed that contract he’d better grow some thick skin.
People will embrace him if he’s great ( see Arron Rodgers) but when he sucks fans are going to kick dirt on him.
He could turn this around real quick but I don’t think it’s in him. He appears he’s been born with a silver spoon or at least he acts like it.
All the excitement that might be shared when we hire a new head coach, especially if it’s Payton, will hide some of the sunshine by this big dark cloud named Kyler Murray.
It will be interesting if/what/when Kyler comments on our new head coach. Odds are we won’t hear s*** from him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ain’t nothing wrong with an athlete keeping his private life….private.
There is nothing wrong with it but that choice also doesn't provide you the benefit of it. It is like the media. You can use it or not use it, but if you don't, someone else will. Being able to to spread your narrative can be a powerful tool.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't criticize Kyler for trying to not be a famous celebrity and keeping his personal life personal, but I do think it is a ignorant view. Saying I want the pay of a franchise QB, the treatment of a franchise QB, but only a very little of the celebrity/face of the franchise aspect comes across naïve and entitled to me.

Like being a politician and saying you don't like the politics and scrutiny of the position.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't criticize Kyler for trying to not be a famous celebrity and keeping his personal life personal, but I do think it is a ignorant. Saying I was the pay of a franchise QB, the treatment of a franchise QB, but only a very little of the celebrity/face of the franchise aspect comes across naïve and entitled to me.

Like being a politician and saying you don't like the politics and scrutiny of the position.

I hate it when actors say they hate being recognised in public, or they hate doing media tours for their latest movie. Like you don't know that's a huge part of the job when you sign up to it. Nothing worse than someone that wants all the upside without the downside that it's built on. Want to be an actor but be able to go out shopping in peace? Go do Canadian TV.

If you want to be the superstar, get the big roles and make the big bucks you best be prepared to do all the things you don't really want to do too.

If you're going to be a top 3 paid NFL player and starting QB for a franchise regular media, charity work and community work comes with the job.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't criticize Kyler for trying to not be a famous celebrity and keeping his personal life personal, but I do think it is a ignorant. Saying I was the pay of a franchise QB, the treatment of a franchise QB, but only a very little of the celebrity/face of the franchise aspect comes across naïve and entitled to me.

"This is not the analogy you're looking for."

- Kenobi

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate it when actors say they hate being recognised in public, or they hate doing media tours for their latest movie. Like you don't know that's a huge part of the job when you sign up to it. Nothing worse than someone that wants all the upside without the downside that it's built on. Want to be an actor but be able to go out shopping in peace? Go do Canadian TV.

If you want to be the superstar, get the big roles and make the big bucks you best be prepared to do all the things you don't really want to do too.

Acting is an art and a professional and even a passion. You hate it if they (and their kids) don't like being blitzed by the press and oogling fans at a constant basis?

I get what you're saying, but yikes dude.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Acting is an art and a professional and even a passion. You hate it if they (and their kids) don't like being blitzed by the press and oogling fans at a constant basis?

I get what you're saying, but yikes dude.

"Blitz by the press"? Who said that?

If you're an actor and you think people staring at your while you go shopping is a major bummer you probably shouldn't have gone into acting. It's very much descriped on the tin.

It's like complaining you got wet while swimming. You're whole job is to be famous and recognisable so that people want to see your movies.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"Blitz by the press"? Who said that?

If you're an actor and you think people staring at your while you go shopping is a major bummer you probably shouldn't have gone into acting. It's very much descriped on the tin.

You're describing some minor inconveniences of being famous, when in reality they have to deal with much worse. At least, if they are worth a damn. I know they sign up for some, but some don't even watch their own movies and fans do more than just "notice them." They do it cause they like the job. They can still hate that part and shy away from it and can't exactly enjoy a Sunday afternoon without bothered or have pictures taken of them. It's a perfectly fine thing to hate, it's just unfortunate it's part of the profession of acting/being famous. Famous culture is pretty whack right now and has been for awhile, obsession is the word.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I‘m semi retired, sole caregiver for my 25 year old special needs son. I listen to NFL Radio quite a bit & heard that exact story on 2 different occasions. Once last week & once this week. There’s absolutely no reason to not give credence to it. And I certainly don’t have time to write down on paper who exactly said it. I can’t be the only one who listens to PHNX podcasts or NFL radio. Funny how both of my other sons heard the excerpts. But, instead, we should listen to someone like you that lives to hate Kyler Murray?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not that optimistic, but there is a path to the Cardinals being competitive within the next two years. It doesn't take THREE years to be competitive in the NFL if you have a competent player personnel department. I think you're too jaded from the bad fat man that you're not considering that if Ossenfort is a competent GM, this team could be competitive in 2024.
I agree with the two year plan. I just think 2023 is going to be a slog but to a variety of factors. This team is really building for 2024

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with it but that choice also doesn't provide you the benefit of it. It is like the media. You can use it or not use it, but if you don't, someone else will. Being able to to spread your narrative can be a powerful tool.
Everything you said here could be used in a negative context. “Being able to spread your narrative can be a powerful tool” doesn’t mean it’s a positive tool.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You said you’re not criticizing an athlete for not being a famous celebrity or all up in the cameras, but that’s exactly what you’re doing in the rest of this post.

You made a lot of good Kyler criticisms as a player & person. This isn’t one of them. Unlike others, this is beneath you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Everything you said here could be used in a negative context. “Being able to spread your narrative can be a powerful tool” doesn’t mean it’s a positive tool.
Agree that if you are a jerk, you are going to come across as a jerk. If you are a narcissist, that is how you are going to come across.

I feel the argument of Kyler keeping his private life private is one argument. The argument that Kyler's personality isn't good to have out there is another one.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If they're drafting high, in position to get a young QB, and Kyler doesn't change his attitude, they may be correct. That's a lot of ifs, though. You have to hope your new coach can get through to Kyler and help get his head right. I'd hate the lottery of drafting a high QB, because while there's hope, there's also trepidation. Look what's happened to us after drafting a QB high: no idea if he can get the job done yet. Still worrying about maturity issues. Yeesh!

As to the re-build, it's not going to be a 1-year turnaround simply because of Kyler's injury and the awful shape the roster's in. You can't--and shouldn't--plug so many holes with FA. We have to have a solid draft class to help with that. If Kyler does get his head on right, if our new GM is savvy, and if our new coaching staff is any good, I can see a 2-year turnaround and trip to the playoffs, sure. That's a lot of ifs, too, though.
They also fail to mention the most critical part with even our skill guys performing, that we are lacking.. our DL/OL and an elite pass rusher which will make the likes of Sanders and Thomas productive (while we hope Allen/Murphy are back in the mix)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You said you’re not criticizing an athlete for not being a famous celebrity or all up in the cameras, but that’s exactly what you’re doing in the rest of this post.

You made a lot of good Kyler criticisms as a player & person. This isn’t one of them. Unlike others, this is beneath you.
I think it is an unrealistic expectation but if that is what the athlete wants they can try. This is exacerbated by Kyler being a NFL QB and one of the highest paid ones at that. Whether he likes it or not, it is sports royalty.

It is like posting on a message board and then complaining about people disagreeing with your posts too harshly. Like I get it, but it comes with the territory.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're describing some minor inconveniences of being famous, when in reality they have to deal with much worse. At least, if they are worth a damn. I know they sign up for some, but some don't even watch their own movies and fans do more than just "notice them." They do it cause they like the job. They can still hate that part and shy away from it and can't exactly enjoy a Sunday afternoon without bothered or have pictures taken of them. It's a perfectly fine thing to hate, it's just unfortunate it's part of the profession of acting/being famous. Famous culture is pretty whack right now and has been for awhile, obsession is the word.

It's a perfectly fine thing to hate. It's not a perfectly fine thing to complain about, or complain about doing, when you knew the score going in.

I've heard several actors over the years complain about having to do media tours flying all over the world to promote their latest blockbuster. Like it's not a known part of the job and something they would have snatched at gleefully starting out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel the argument of Kyler keeping his private life private is one argument.
It’s been the only argument. The argument was actually initiated by BritCard because he’s mad & unhinged that an athlete is not living up to the actual definition of “private”.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree that if you are a jerk, you are going to come across as a jerk. If you are a narcissist, that is how you are going to come across.

I feel the argument of Kyler keeping his private life private is one argument. The argument that Kyler's personality isn't good to have out there is another one.

His car crash draft interviews aside I think he comes across fine. His post game pressers are fine, this one Mao posted is good and he comes across well. If he was a disaster at them it might be an excuse but he's no worse than most.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose