ESPN Believes Cards Can Be a Quick Rebuild.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
“Of the teams vying for Payton, Arizona is the only one with an established young quarterback. From there, the Cardinals can boast about wide receivers DeAndre Hopkins (for now), Marquise Brown and Rondale Moore; tight ends Zach Ertz and Trey McBride; and running back James Conner. With a rebuilt line, that's an offense that can win 10 to 12 games with the right coach.”

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
“Of the teams vying for Payton, Arizona is the only one with an established young quarterback. From there, the Cardinals can boast about wide receivers DeAndre Hopkins (for now), Marquise Brown and Rondale Moore; tight ends Zach Ertz and Trey McBride; and running back James Conner. With a rebuilt line, that's an offense that can win 10 to 12 games with the right coach.”
A lot of the gloom and doom is based on the past. That said, the choice of head coach is the most critical since B.A. was hired. With the right strategic hire, a bright future is very possible IMO.

Captain Obvious

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
The new GM is an unknown quantity, although he’s likely leagues ahead of the former one. I’m hoping the head coach hire is one with some experience in that position. It’s a hard enough job and made more difficult for someone who has to learn on the job. Yeah, the Cardinals have some very good pieces but they also have a lot of major holes on the offensive and defensive lines, the defensive backfield and depth at running back.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No - the teams with Davis Mills, Sam Darnold, and totally washed Matt Ryan/RW in a draft year with no true can’t miss QB prospect are better situations they tell me.
It's funny that people are glossing over the fact that those teams don't have a QB as if it's real easy to just plug one in.

Young, Stroud, and Levis aren't can't miss prospects. I've watched enough footballs to see how each could be a bust, and history tells that at least one will be, if not two.

Carolina should go after Carr. He'd make them a playoff contender immediately, but we all know that Carr isn't a Super Bowl QB without an elite team around him.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I noted the quotation marks Harry...didn't think you drank grape Kool Aid! Wonder who said this can define the word " established" for us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No - the teams with Davis Mills, Sam Darnold, and totally washed Matt Ryan/RW in a draft year with no true can’t miss QB prospect are better situations they tell me.
If they're drafting high, in position to get a young QB, and Kyler doesn't change his attitude, they may be correct. That's a lot of ifs, though. You have to hope your new coach can get through to Kyler and help get his head right. I'd hate the lottery of drafting a high QB, because while there's hope, there's also trepidation. Look what's happened to us after drafting a QB high: no idea if he can get the job done yet. Still worrying about maturity issues. Yeesh!

As to the re-build, it's not going to be a 1-year turnaround simply because of Kyler's injury and the awful shape the roster's in. You can't--and shouldn't--plug so many holes with FA. We have to have a solid draft class to help with that. If Kyler does get his head on right, if our new GM is savvy, and if our new coaching staff is any good, I can see a 2-year turnaround and trip to the playoffs, sure. That's a lot of ifs, too, though.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I noted the quotation marks Harry...didn't think you drank grape Kool Aid! Wonder who said this can define the word " established" for us.
I think Murray is as good as the top draft QB group this year, which isn’t stellar. Much will depend on whether the interviewees have a plan to move him forward. He is still a far better athlete than the new group members and he can throw the tree. I’m not sold Murray will be a great QB, but with the right cast and system I think he can be a good one.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If they're drafting high, in position to get a young QB, and Kyler doesn't change his attitude, they may be correct. That's a lot of ifs, though. You have to hope your new coach can get through to Kyler and help get his head right. I'd hate the lottery of drafting a high QB, because while there's hope, there's also trepidation. Look what's happened to us after drafting a QB high: no idea if he can get the job done yet. Still worrying about maturity issues. Yeesh!

As to the re-build, it's not going to be a 1-year turnaround simply because of Kyler's injury and the awful shape the roster's in. You can't--and shouldn't--plug so many holes with FA. We have to have a solid draft class to help with that. If Kyler does get his head on right, if our new GM is savvy, and if our new coaching staff is any good, I can see a 2-year turnaround and trip to the playoffs, sure. That's a lot of ifs, too, though.
The league as a whole thinks more highly of Kyler than this board does but yes there’s still some question marks there. Of course the overall roster is below average thanks to Keim.

We also forget that 7 of the 16 teams make the playoffs. It’s not that big of a lift even in ‘23 if we get 12 games of healthy Kyler with his wires uncrossed. SB contenders of course not but if the above comes together no reason we couldn’t have a season like this year’s Seahawks or Giants or Jacksonville

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I have learned over many years of following the NFL is that there is parity. The schedule is set up that way, so is the draft, and the waiver wire. We can argue this but losing teams can turn around quickly, There are many examples of this over the years. I feel with a new GM and Head Coach, the Cards could be a playoff team in 2024 but probably not this season. All is not gloom for Cards fans.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's funny that people are glossing over the fact that those teams don't have a QB as if it's real easy to just plug one in.

Young, Stroud, and Levis aren't can't miss prospects. I've watched enough footballs to see how each could be a bust, and history tells that at least one will be, if not two.

Carolina should go after Carr. He'd make them a playoff contender immediately, but we all know that Carr isn't a Super Bowl QB without an elite team around him.
Carr would actually be a great fit there and they would instantly be the best team in that division.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping at best to be entertaining. Maybe a new pro style offense will improve our o-line play. We do have 3 dozen guys returning from injury.
We definitely need speed at running back.
I would like to move on from McCoy.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Murray is as good as the top draft QB group this year, which isn’t stellar. Much will depend on whether the interviewees have a plan to move him forward. He is still a far better athlete than the new group members and he can throw the tree. I’m not sold Murray will be a great QB, but with the right cast and system I think he can be a good one.
All true Harry...but the big issue is getting through to him and that is the challenge as it is with many folks in and out of the game.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mental traits and so-called “intangibles “ are part of a QB’s total make-up and pretty hard to project. This makes Kyler‘s future somewhat of a mystery. and riskier than many GM’s are willing to deal with.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler question as the thread is leaning that way...

When was the last time Kyler appeared on any TV show or podcast? I see other QB's all the time. Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Rodgers, Brady, Dak, Cousins, Lamar etc I see them regularly on Rich Eisen, Pat McAfee, various podcasts and so on.

Kyler is in year 4 and I don't recall seeing him on anything since the 2019 draft disasters.

That's not good. It speaks of a guy that thinks that either he is above all that or is so reclusive he avoids speaking. Does anyone recall any starting NFL QB. Especially a #1 pick, being so elusive of the media?

As a fan I don't know him at all. There are 3 things I know about him. He plays football, he likes playing video games and he lives in Texas as much as he can. After 4 years that seems pretty poor.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

When was the last time Kyler appeared on any TV show or podcast? I see other QB's all the time. Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Rodgers, Brady, Dak, Cousins, Lamar etc I see them regularly on Rich Eisen, Pat McAfee, various podcasts and so on.

Kyler is in year 4 and I don't recall seeing him on anything since the 2019 draft disasters.

That's not good. It speaks of a guy that thinks that either he is above all that or is so reclusive he avoids speaking. Does anyone recall any starting NFL QB. Especially a #1 pick, being so elusive of the media?

As a fan I don't know him at all. There are 3 things I know about him. He plays football, he likes playing video games and he lives in Texas as much as he can. After 4 years that seems pretty poor.

I don't blame him at all for that. Media sucks. Although I think he streams, so he is comfortable with that.

The locker room is different, but we don't truly know what that entails. Maybe he will open up over time and when we end on a decent note. Save for his rookie year, it's always been a disastrous end.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I couldn't care less if Murray goes on to any show. I also don't care if he's reclusive and protective of his private life...I respect it.

I only care that he respects his coaches and teammates and they respect him, and he works to get better on the field, because that, along with his talent, is what is going to lead to more wins.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe people are truly underestimating how badly this team has been resourced over the years.

Unless Monti & the FO really hits it off in the draft & FA, which is possible, I think we won’t be truly competitive until 2026. I do think we could make a late run in 2025, but just not enough due to lack of talent.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't blame him at all for that. Media sucks. Although I think he streams, so he is comfortable with that.

The locker room is different, but we don't truly know what that entails. Maybe he will open up over time and when we end on a decent note. Save for his rookie year, it's always been a disastrous end.

I couldn't care less if Murray goes on to any show. I also don't care if he's reclusive and protective of his private life...I respect it.

I only care that he respects his coaches and teammates and they respect him, and he works to get better on the field, because that, along with his talent, is what is going to lead to more wins.

You don't think letting the fans and community that support you know who you are? Or even the wider NFL?

You don't think it's concerning that the guy that's normally the center of attention, the big cheese, the golden boy wants no publicity?

You're not concerned that the traits normally found in reclusive loners aren't normally those found in good leaders?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose