Eric Swann

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Larry Allen, maybe the best guard of all-time, said Swann was the one guy he was petrified of. Life sucks and he was better than Arron Donald if not for his injuries. Gosh, I wish the Cards could get a guy like this in this draft
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thanks for this. Eric Swann was one of my favorite Cardinals of all time.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Larry Allen, maybe the best guard of all-time, said Swann was the one guy he was petrified of. Life sucks and he was better than Arron Donald if not for his injuries. Gosh, I wish the Cards could get a guy like this in this draft
That DL was the best we ever had, Mark Smith, Swann & Rice, memory escapes me on the 4th one? I drove 4 hours from Louisville to St.Louis in 1998 to watch that DL & Jake the Snake beat the Rams in St.Louis. I wore my Roy Green Jersey with the Arizona State flag on the sleeve. I got some sarcastic remarks from the Rams fans still bitter about the Cardinals leaving. Before the game one fan said "Why not buy a jersey of someone that didn't play for the Cardinals in St.Louis & especially one that's still playing"? I just laughed, Roy Green was & is my all time favorite Cardinal still to this day. Loved Lomax also. Damn shame he took all those hits from a bad OL that messed his hip up. After the game one fan wanted to fight me because the Rams lost, my wife at the time pulled me back, that guy was a mouthy little bastard & got personal so I wasn't gonna back down, just didn't wanna get put in jail. Trust me I heard crap the whole time we were at the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That DL was the best we ever had, Mark Smith, Swann & Rice, memory escapes me on the 4th one? I drove 4 hours from Louisville to St.Louis in 1998 to watch that DL & Jake the Snake beat the Rams in St.Louis. I wore my Roy Green Jersey with the Arizona State flag on the sleeve. I got some sarcastic remarks from the Rams fans still bitter about the Cardinals leaving. Before the game one fan said "Why not buy a jersey of someone that didn't play for the Cardinals in St.Louis & especially one that's still playing"? I just laughed, Roy Green was & is my all time favorite Cardinal still to this day. Loved Lomax also. Damn shame he took all those hits from a bad OL that messed his hip up. After the game one fan wanted to fight me because the Rams lost, my wife at the time pulled me back, that guy was a mouthy little bastard & got personal so I wasn't gonna back down, just didn't wanna get put in jail. Trust me I heard crap the whole time we were at the game.
The fourth was wadsworth. If not for injuries that likely would’ve been one of the greatest front fours of all time.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The fourth was wadsworth. If not for injuries that likely would’ve been one of the greatest front fours of all time.
Well duh, how in the fudge did I ever forget Wadsworth lol? Mister micro fracture surgery himself. That surgery was so controversial back then & still is. Basically they drill the bone creating a blood substance that acts like cartilage. It damn sure worked for my big left toe lol. Got that surgery in 2007 & still playing on my men's softball team at age 52 twenty two years later. I'm nowhere close to his size & weight plus it isn't my knee lol. Such a shame though, I hated it for Wadsworth & as a fan. That DL was dominant but he was never the same after that. He was a freaking monster at Florida State
Swanny is probably my favorite Cardinal of all time... he and Pat...
dude was an absolute beast and possibly the best DLineman to ever play...if only...

coulda shoulda woulda.... but damn.
Sucked watching him play for the Panthers but he wasn't the same at that point, age & injuries had caught up to him.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Swann was a BEAST. So big, fast and powerful. Reggie White type power, just manhandled OLinemen. Darn shame his knees blew out on him. He and Wadsworth could have been very special for a long time. But, alas, it was the Cardinals' bad karma that derailed that possibility, teasing the fans once again with "what might have been".

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Swann was a BEAST. So big, fast and powerful. Reggie White type power, just manhandled OLinemen. Darn shame his knees blew out on him. He and Wadsworth could have been very special for a long time. But, alas, it was the Cardinals' bad karma that derailed that possibility, teasing the fans once again with "what might have been".
I think he was a player that stoked fear in offensive players. I remember watching him break through the line and attack a quarterback. He threw him like a rag doll.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was against the eagles that Swann accused them of going after his knees and causing the injury that started it all.

Reactions: TRW

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
and Simeon Rice.

That 4 man front could have been the best all time if it stayed together

the cactus curtain!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well duh, how in the fudge did I ever forget Wadsworth lol? Mister micro fracture surgery himself. That surgery was so controversial back then & still is. Basically they drill the bone creating a blood substance that acts like cartilage. It damn sure worked for my big left toe lol. Got that surgery in 2007 & still playing on my men's softball team at age 52 twenty two years later. I'm nowhere close to his size & weight plus it isn't my knee lol. Such a shame though, I hated it for Wadsworth & as a fan. That DL was dominant but he was never the same after that. He was a freaking monster at Florida State

Sucked watching him play for the Panthers but he wasn't the same at that point, age & injuries had caught up to him.

Andre had it too but Swann was actually Mr micro fracture, near as I can tell he was the first person, in history, to have 2 microfractures on the same knee, and less than a year apart. The Cards did microfracture on the knee, it didn't work, Swann had to shut it down, lots of people were calling him soft and then Steadman did the 2nd surgery and the Cards finally publicly admitted that Swann had "essentially the same surgery" only this time from Steadman. They'd rushed him back the first time so it didn't work.

Great player

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he was a player that stoked fear in offensive players. I remember watching him break through the line and attack a quarterback. He threw him like a rag doll.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was against the eagles that Swann accused them of going after his knees and causing the injury that started it all.
I'm almost certain you're correct. Couple that with the atrocious Veterans Stadium turf, and it's a problem for sure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If this Board was in existence when Swann was drafted, it would have exploded. How could they do that? The GM must be replaced, ASAP. And that would have been two of the milder comments. JMO.
No doubt. I recall watching the draft and couldn’t believe they selected someone that didn’t play college ball.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Actually Wadsworth was drafted in 1998. Swann could barely walk by then. He started only 5 games that year and none in 1999. Swann was the Donald of his day. No one could block him. Prior to the the Cards used a bunch of other players. Michael Bankston played the most in a couple of years.

Reaction score
Swann was awesome

Reaction score
I found this after watching the Swann video. The entire team didn't talk to the media for a week lol. I remember this but vaguely. The Joe Bugel days.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard