Ellen Page Is Now Elliot Page as Actor Shares Transgender Identity

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Why? Why is a limitation of language, which doesn’t actually impact you, more important to hold onto than making someone feel more comfortable?
I have always wondered when the acknowledgement that a person has multiple identities moved from being a disorder to being a matter of comfortability.

Either way..... I think calling everyone dude is the right thing to do in this instance.

p.s. The dude comment was me kidding. No flame wars please.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I have always wondered when the acknowledgement that a person has multiple identities moved from being a disorder to being a matter of comfortability.

Either way..... I think calling everyone dude is the right thing to do in this instance.

p.s. The dude comment was me kidding. No flame wars please.

I have a good friend that has Dissociative Identity Disorder with 19 personalities and it's a been a bit of a comfort for since she found out. A lot of stuff started making sense and it's allowed them to get a lot of things in order by coordinating between each of them. Her life is running smoother and more normal now because it's not so disjoined.

On calling me dude:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have a good friend that has Dissociative Identity Disorder with 19 personalities and it's a been a bit of a comfort for since she found out. A lot of stuff started making sense and it's allowed them to get a lot of things in order by coordinating between each of them. Her life is running smoother and more normal now because it's not so disjoined.

On calling me dude:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's a good perspective. Thanks for that. It could provide some emotional cover to help one not feel as isolated. #EmpathyMatters

As for the song. Not my brand of whiskey. haha

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
That's a good perspective. Thanks for that. It could provide some emotional cover to help one not feel as isolated. #EmpathyMatters

As for the song. Not my brand of whiskey. haha

I didn't necessarily expect you to like the song. It's just a cautionary tale of calling someone dude. ;)

Reaction score
His choice, his movies, but yeah.

This I understand. What I don't understand is ''they'' as it's plural. He's definitely one person unless he has multiple personalities. Then I can see the use of they. I want to learn not be a jerk here btw.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
This I understand. What I don't understand is ''they'' as it's plural. He's definitely one person unless he has multiple personalities. Then I can see the use of they. I want to learn not be a jerk here btw.

Not always though.

Think of it like when there are reports where they don't want to give away details.

"They victim has brought complaint to the police, they will now with with detectives to determine if there was a crime"

Or similar with juveniles.

"A juvenile at XYZ School was seen with a gun on campus, they were detained without incident"

It does get awkward when there is no antecedent, but there really isn't a clear singular word that exists.

Them/They/Their are very common with an antecedent.

Think "An individual does not need a gendered pronoun if they do not want one"

Slightly clunky with "Elliot does not need a gendered pronoun if they do not want one"

Only thing that has really shifted is that we gave the genetic individual a name.

It's awkward to then go "They do not need a gendered pronoun" for an individual - but it's been done throughout language because there really isn't an alternative

Can avoid it pretty easily though.

"If Elliot wants a donut, just give it to them"

It's those usages that are most common and really not wrong

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Not always though.

Think of it like when there are reports where they don't want to give away details.

"They victim has brought complaint to the police, they will now with with detectives to determine if there was a crime"

"A juvenile at XYZ School was seen with a gun on campus, they were detained without incident"

It does get awkward when there is no antecedent, but there really isn't a clear singular word that exists.

Slightly clunky with "Elliot does not need a gendered pronoun if they do not want one"

Only thing that has really shifted is that we gave the genetic individual a name.

It's awkward to then go "They do not need a gendered pronoun" for an individual - but it's been done throughout language because there really isn't an alternative

Good examples. I wish there was an alternative though. I really hate the mixed use between singular and plural since it seems to be getting more use without an antecedent. When reading something I don't want to have to stop and interpret if the author is referring to an individual or a group. It kills the flow and distracts from what the work is about.

I've read a couple things lately that reminded me of when I read Rand's novella Anthem. I'm guessing most people that use they/them wouldn't want to be associated with one of her works. :)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not always though.

Very helpful, MO. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose