Ellen Page Is Now Elliot Page as Actor Shares Transgender Identity

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ellen Page Is Now Elliot Page as Actor Shares Transgender Identity

https://www.newsweek.com/ellen-page-now-elliot-page-actor-shares-transgender-identity-1551538

Umbrella Academy actor born Ellen Page announced on Tuesday that he is transgender and is now named Elliot Page. They shared a letter to Twitter, saying he felt "overwhelming gratitude" for the support they had on this journey, and asked fans to be patient with those going through the same experience. The actor is known for roles in Inception and Juno, and was formerly known as Ellen Page.

"Hi friends, I want to share with you that I am trans, my pronouns are he/they and my name is Elliot. I feel lucky to be writing this. To be here. To have arrived at this place in my life," Page began their note.

"I feel overwhelming gratitude for the incredible people who have supported me along this journey. I can't begin to express how remarkable it feels to finally love who I am enough to pursue my authentic self. I've been endlessly inspired by so many in the trans community. Thank you for your courage, your generosity and ceaselessly working to make this world a more inclusive and compassionate place. I will offer whatever support I can and continue to strive for a more loving and equal society," he wrote.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched Page in many movies but I will always remember the performance in "Juno." It was excellent.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure about validating a mental illness, but its their life. Not affecting me in the slightest.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not sure about validating a mental illness, but its their life. Not affecting me in the slightest.

:thumbdown

This social worker is not impressed with stigmatization of real mental illness and of LGBTQ issues through claiming they're mental illnesses.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If someone wants to be called "they" there may be some issues, though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why? Do you think creating ambiguities with words increases communication and leads to harmony amongst all? IMO there has to be a better way to do this.

Increasing communication and harmony amongst us ALL is literally not the point; the point is it makes the PERSON comfortable in world and social environment extremely hostile to the person. People joke about snowflakes and hurt feelings, but tell a person to use a non-gender pronoun, and watch the whining commence (not pointing the finger at you there).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Increasing communication and harmony amongst us ALL is literally not the point; the point is it makes the PERSON comfortable in world and social environment extremely hostile to the person. People joke about snowflakes and hurt feelings, but tell a person to use a non-gender pronoun, and watch the whining commence (not pointing the finger at you there).

I think we need a pronoun that isn't tied to gender and I'd be in favor of encouraging its use for all people. I'm not in favor of making anyone's life tougher but I'm not in favor of the idea that each individual can adopt the meaning they choose for the pronoun they choose. That's a dead-end for me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need a pronoun that isn't tied to gender and I'd be in favor of encouraging its use for all people. I'm not in favor of making anyone's life tougher but I'm not in favor of the idea that each individual can adopt the meaning they choose for the pronoun they choose. That's a dead-end for me.

It's rampant on the internet, the new craze.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm willing to keep my mind open here. What are your concerns? Do you sense some unintended consequences resulting from this type of declaration?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to keep my mind open here. What are your concerns? Do you sense some unintended consequences resulting from this type of declaration?

The declaration? Not at all. I really don't know enough about it to have an opinion of any worth. I was just talking about the ambiguity and potential communication issues that grow out of people simply adopting the pronoun they choose. But it's possible the confusion is at my end only and it's the result of my shallow understanding of the subject. What does Elliot mean when Elliot says my pronouns are "he/they". Specifically, when is "they" appropriate?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The declaration? Not at all. I really don't know enough about it to have an opinion of any worth. I was just talking about the ambiguity and potential communication issues that grow out of people simply adopting the pronoun they choose. But it's possible the confusion is at my end only and it's the result of my shallow understanding of the subject. What does Elliot mean when Elliot says my pronouns are "he/they". Specifically, when is "they" appropriate?

I'm certainly no expert and I think this is all new and maybe even a little confusing for many of us.

As I understand it, when Elliot is someone who identifies with the pronouns he/they, he is expressing that she/her aren't applicable any longer when referring to the person now known as Elliot Page.

So in casual conversation you might say, 'Elliot Page and Sharon Stone were in a new movie that just came out and they were terrific in it. Elliot really knows his emotions and Sharon can still prove she's got it.'

If I'm wrong, which is quite possible, I'd appreciate some insight from those more familiar than I with some of these preferences.

To me, Page is a fairly easy one to navigate but there are definitely some more complicated situations that pretty much will only be understood on a case by case basis. So, there is bound to be some confusion, but it doesn't really put me out to learn something new if it makes someone feel better or more comfortable. So, I don't really see it as a burden in any way. Keeps life interesting, in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert and I think this is all new and maybe even a little confusing for many of us.

As I understand it, when Elliot is someone who identifies with the pronouns he/they, he is expressing that she/her aren't applicable any longer when referring to the person now known as Elliot Page.

So in casual conversation you might say, 'Elliot Page and Sharon Stone were in a new movie that just came out and they were terrific in it. Elliot really knows his emotions and Sharon can still prove she's got it.'

If I'm wrong, which is quite possible, I'd appreciate some insight from those more familiar than I with some of these preferences.

To me, Page is a fairly easy one to navigate but there are definitely some more complicated situations that pretty much will only be understood on a case by case basis. So, there is bound to be some confusion, but it doesn't really put me out to learn something new if it makes someone feel better or more comfortable. So, I don't really see it as a burden in any way. Keeps life interesting, in my opinion.

You could be right but I didn't see it that way. If that's all it is no big deal, but I don't see why "they" is even included then as that pronoun already works for any gender. I guess I was expecting there to be more to his words because of some of the situations I think you're alluding to, that being the belief that gender identity can be fluid.

To be clear, for me, it's not the pronoun he chose, it's the idea that a person can choose what a pronoun means. I do believe we need a pronoun that works for all genders and I'd support a movement to put it into heavy use so that it doesn't carry any stigma.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could be right but I didn't see it that way. If that's all it is no big deal, but I don't see why "they" is even included then as that pronoun already works for any gender. I guess I was expecting there to be more to his words because of some of the situations I think you're alluding to, that being the belief that gender identity can be fluid.

To be clear, for me, it's not the pronoun he chose, it's the idea that a person can choose what a pronoun means. I do believe we need a pronoun that works for all genders and I'd support a movement to put it into heavy use so that it doesn't carry any stigma.

I'm not sure on the 'they' thing. However, for those who aren't sure and don't wish to offend, 'they' is a very safe bet!

Words change meaning. Gay comes to mind as a quite recent one. One generation thinks it means festive/happy. For another, it means homosexual. When I was in high school, we used it as a pejorative. Times change and we adjust. I'm sure we can navigate this if we just let things evolve and allow our hearts and minds to be open to it.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No hate towards her choice

But always loved page in her movies she was cute as well

Least she open bout it....

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why? Why is a limitation of language, which doesn’t actually impact you, more important to hold onto than making someone feel more comfortable?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave