OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quote said, "most", so yes, I think that can be questioned.
I guess it all depends on what Dback meant by "patriots." I was thinking he was implying the "'Merica (or 'Murica (sic)) crowd" and most of that crowd wouldn't find a cartoon character who identifies as non-binary and uses pronouns very appealing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on what Dback meant by "patriots." I was thinking he was implying the 'Merica crowd and most of that crowd wouldn't find a cartoon character who identifies as non-binary and uses pronouns very appealing.
I might be mistaken then, because I thought he was quoting from the article, not giving his opinion on the MAGA crowd.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one is going to blindly support a film just because it was made in the USA. It has to appeal to them and hearing that there is an animated non-human non-binary character in it likely isn't all that appealing to most.
So they aren’t the “USA all the way??

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on what Dback meant by "patriots." I was thinking he was implying the "'Merica (or 'Murica (sic)) crowd" and most of that crowd wouldn't find a cartoon character who identifies as non-binary and uses pronouns very appealing.
It was more of the fact that a certain segment consider Disney woke, and hope they go broke yet they were the only ones still keeping the jobs in America

So is the ideology more important than American jobs?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally watched this and it wasn't what I thought at all. Really it's more about the expectations of the child of immigrant parents. The romance is super secondary compared to that. I immediately saw it more as an asian family arriving in Los Angeles than anything.

Really a great Pixar movie.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Finally watched this and it wasn't what I thought at all. Really it's more about the expectations of the child of immigrant parents. The romance is super secondary compared to that. I immediately saw it more as an asian family arriving in Los Angeles than anything.

Really a great Pixar movie.
Wow, they marketed this movie all wrong, then.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, they marketed this movie all wrong, then.

Yep I looked it up and the vibes I got were correct. The writer and director was the son of Korean Immigrants who settled in the Bronx.

It's way more about that. In fact, the romance is way more about class differences than racial ones. More pretty in pink than say West Side Story.

Not remotely what I expected.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I looked it up and the vibes I got were correct. The writer and director was the son of Korean Immigrants who settled in the Bronx.

It's way more about that. In fact, the romance is way more about class differences than racial ones. More pretty in pink than say West Side Story.

Not remotely what I expected.
And it's second largest market has been South Korea - over $54 million there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. This movie won't quit. Just goes to show the immediate box office isn't the war.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My 12 year and I enjoyed it. I hadn’t gotten him or the 13 year old to watch a movie with me in a couple years, so I cherished it. I thought Ember’s effects were fantastic. Wasn’t as impressed with the water beings.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished it's run at $496 Million. Not bad for such a slow start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson