Elemental (Pixar)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it looks cool, by which I mean literally "looks." Whether there's anything to the story, I can't possibly guess.
It's Pixar, so chances are very good.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elemental

Release date: June 16, 2023
Studio: Pixar Animation Studios
Director: Peter Sohn
MPAA Rating: PG for some peril, thematic elements and brief language
Screenwriters: John Hoberg, Kat Likkel, Brenda Hsueh
Genre: Animation | Adventure | Comedy

Starring: Leah Lewis, Mamoudou Athie, Ronnie Del Carmen, Shila Ommi, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Catherine O'Hara, Mason Wertheimer, Ronobir Lahiri, Wilma Bonet, Joe Pera, Matthew Yang King

Plot Summary: The film journeys alongside an unlikely pair, Ember and Wade, in a city where fire-, water-, land- and air-residents live together. The fiery young woman and the go-with-the-flow guy are about to discover something elemental: how much they actually have in common.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was ok. I fell asleep in it a few times but my kids liked it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I nearly fell asleep in the first 20 minutes but after that it grabbed me. Son loved it too.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This movie is going to lose over $200M.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Elemental debuted at $11.8 million on Friday and is projected to earn between $28 million and $32 million through its opening weekend. Depending on where it falls, this could be the lowest-earning opening weekend Pixar has had since Toy Story's $29 million take in 1995. Even then, Toy Story's box office take has not been adjusted for inflation, making Elemental's box office figures even more disappointing.

After Lightyear became a financial disaster for Disney and Pixar, several key Pixar executives were fired, and the studio was left to leave its hopes with Elemental. Unfortunately, Elemental was met with critical to mixed reviews after screening at the Cannes, although its Rotten Tomatoes score increased to its current 75 percent following more screenings. However, with Elemental having a budget of $200 million, Pixar faces another major loss and likely a second box office bomb after Lightyear since it will take efforts to recoup that high budget.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter wants to see this. I will take her probably this weekend. She wasn't as excited to see this as past films. She can't wait for the next inside out for example. I think part of this was the marketing. There were not characters she immediately latched onto.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Their gonna lose a ton of money here.....

Still better than the flash however. ha!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$400 million worldwide

Still has to open in Japan

Still a flop?

Some on here are going to be upset

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
$400 million international

Still has to open in Japan

Still a flop?

Some on here are going to be upset
Almost $400m worldwide, not international. $145m US and $249m international.

And yes it's still a flop because it had a $200m budget. It's not even close to making it's money back yet with that split.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

And yes it's still a flop because it had a $200m budget. It's not even close to making it's money back yet with that split.
Curious why you are so married to posting these types of things all the time.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I correct that as you were replying.

Once it goes to streaming on Disney+, merchandise, etc. it’ll come close to breaking even.

Far better than what Many were projecting after opening weekend

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s also the first Pixar story to at least five times it’s opening weekend number since the original toy story

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious why there’s any reason he shouldn’t post these type of things. I just did the same thing in the Transformers thread where Shane posted something similar. Don’t think there’s any ill-will intended when you’re just trying to correct info the original poster might not understand.

I just think Devil’s a box office junkie like me.

That said, this sucker had great legs. Too bad it came out of the gate with such a weak open. But the fact that it did go on to make solid bucks in this box office climate is good news for theaters.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Honestly, running numbers like that is one of my aspie traits. It's similar to running baseball stats for me. It's interesting to see how numbers run out and the totals vs what they cost to make. Trends and patterns appear.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, running numbers like that is one of my aspie traits. It's similar to running baseball stats for me. It's interesting to see how numbers run out and the totals vs what they cost to make. Trends and patterns appear.
Yeah. I’m a box office junkie too. No clue why, but the numbers, trends and comps all fascinate me for some reason.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave