Eat a little crow, eat it with humble pie.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Like some of you here in ASFN land, I spend a lot of time on this board discussing the Cardinals to the point of insanity. There have been many a day I step up on the soapbox proclaiming the ignorance of our front office, and staff. The underlining tone, being one of WTF.

Well, after looking at the final 53, what should I complain about ? Really, I have what I asked for. Is it 100% the way I wanted it all to go down ? LOL, not even close. Yet, is the end result what I was looking for ? Actually, yes.

QB:
I wanted John Skelton to start, and he is starting. For all the pro-Kolb fans out there, I tip my hat to you all. I think, as Gee's highly amusing post pokes fun of, Team Skelton and Team Kolb got behind there guy, made good cases for both, and today as the final decision was made, both teams shook hands, and got behind the Cardinals starter.

I don't know when Skelton won this job, and in my opinion, I am not 100% confident in Skelton. He has work to do, and has very apparent warts in his game. I concede this fact.

Yet, getting back on topic, John Skelton is the guy I wanted at QB. He has an NFL arm, great composure in the pocket, he has the size to take the ungodly beating that he will have to endure this year, is clutch in crunch time, and can win with our team. Furthermore, I think the the play calls the Cardinals use for Skelton are more suited for the team. The Cardinals use more bunch packages, pulls & traps, 2-back sets, 2 TE sets when Skelton is in the game. The team as a whole seems to run better out of these formations, and allows for easier reads for the QB. Lindley runs the same package as well, BTW.

Finally, my biggest reason for getting behind Double Deuce is that he realizes this is the NFL, and you gotta have a pair. I hate to say this word, but you cannot play scared (better word would be ultra-conservative). No I don't think Kolb is a scared person. I don't question Kolb's courage, or ability to take a hit. But, Skelton attacks teams. He throws down the field, and challenges the defense. I understand this asset that I like about Skelton is also his biggest downfall but I will take the good and the bad, and hope his decision making (which is really his worse attribute, way worse then his accuracy) improves.

But, he is the guy I wanted back there.

RB:
Using Wells, and Williams as thunder and lighting is going to be an asset. Whiz comes from the coaching tree that uses 2 backs and always has used 2 backs. The most successful Whiz coaching tree teams had a "Thunder and Lighting" combo. Higgins and Washington for Gibbs, Bettis and Parker for Cowherd. We have Wells and Williams, with the wild card that is LSH.

Again, I am happy with the RB situation.

WR:
Last year, my biggest complaint about the receiving situation last year was, even though Doucet/Roberts converted a lot of 3rd downs, when it was clutch time, and we needed a catch, not a catch and run, just a catch to move the chains, we had nothing.

We needed a big bodied receiver. I didn't think we needed a 1st round big bodied receiver. I thought a free agent pick up, or a late draft pick to just fill a role on the offense would be enough. Someone like LaRon Byrd, who I am very happy made the final cuts, and feel Byrd earned his spot would have sufficed. But, again, not the way I would go about it, but Michael Floyd is what I was looking for. I am still wary of Floyd, and his hands. He needs to "catch everything" on 3rd downs. His TD catch was awesome, I will say that, but I will be more excited about Floyd when he converts those hard 3rd down catches in traffic, and tight coverage. Yet, I should also state, that Michael Floyd has been a fantastic surprise as a blocking WR. He is not Anquan Boldin, but he is very, very good. He was in the middle of a lot of big runs for the Cardinals this offseason.

So, I got what I wanted again this offseason with not only one big bodied WR, but a second one in LaRon Byrd, who really makes our WR unit one the better ones in the league, IMO.

FB/TE:
Anthony Sherman, and Jeff King are going to start. Thank goodness for that, they both are NFL quality starters that can catch, and most importantly block. I would have liked to see Steve Skelton get a spot over Todd Heap, but if Skeleton gets on the PS that may happen later in the year when Heap gets hurt.

Rob Housler's plummet down the depth chart was nothing surprising to me, so that doesn't bother me. Jim Dray will be Jim Dray.

Again, I have no problems here.

OL:
OK, here I can have a little beef this this organization. Again, I am in the camp that wanted to replace Levi Brown, during free agency with players that have experience in the NFL. Sorry to be lazy, but the lists of players I was looking at (Jeff Backus, King Dunlap, Demetrius Bell, etc, etc) could have helped this team. Levi Brown should have been playing RT this preseason, IMO.

But, I digress.... The Cardinals did bring in some youth, and youth that was good enough to be protected after the cut to 53. Massie, Kelemete, and Potter are all on the final 53. So, the Cardinals have found a possible solution at RT in Bobby Massie. Massie has shown constant improvement this offseason, and I hope he stays at RT for the entire year. That would be great. D'Anthony Batiste is not the replacement at LT that I would use, and this is not the way I would have gone about replacing our LT, but it is a new name. Who knows what Batiste will do this year ? And to be fair to Batiste, if he is better than Levi Brown (with all due respect, is not THAT big of a challenge) then it is an improvement at the position. Regardless of what Somers says, Kelemete (a tackle in college) looks promising at guard, and IMO, is better than Adam Snyder already. So, there IS change on the offensive line, and that is what I asked for.

That is about as sugar-coated as it gets. This offensive line is a extremely weak link on this team. Colledge is touted as our best offensive lineman at LG, and he looked pretty bad to me this preseason. That is not good. I have never liked Sendlein, and Adam Snyder has everyone scratching their heads on why we picked him up. Yet, to be fair, I didn't ask to change the interior line, just the OT's and they have been changed.

Again, got what I asked for.

DL:
We re-signed Campbell to a long term extension. It took about 1 1/2 years longer than it should, but it happened. Nothing changed on the roster from last year at this position, nor should it have.

Again got what I asked for.

OLB:
Since the end of last year, for pass rushing purposes, I have said I am happy with Schofield, and Acho as our pass rushing OLB'ers. Schofield, unfortunately, proved us all right about being a liability against the run, but he can get after the QB, IMO.

I have no problem with Clark Haggans being let go, and he might be back, BTW. And I am fine with that. I see Bradley coming in at OLB as well, and I am good with that. Finally, bringing in Quentin Groves looks to be a very good move by the Cardinals as well.

Again, got what I asked for.

ILB:
YAY!
Stewart Bradley looks like Stewart Bradley. He sure made a lot of people look stupid last year. The Cardinals front office, and myself. Well, he looks like the player I thought we would be getting.

Stewart Bradley - 6'4" and 258 lbs.
First things first. The guy can bring it, against the run. He can take on offensive linemen, he can stand up big running backs (Marshawn Lynch, Frank Gore, Stephen Jackson) at the line, and can cover in the the passing game. Not to mention he is big and quick enough to rush the passer from the inside or outside. When Lenon is gone next season, Bradley will be calling the leader in the huddle, relaying the plays, and getting players where they need to be. Best story this of this preseason, IMO.

Lenon, and Daryl Washington look ready. Washington, I don't know what other people are looking at, looks primed for a huge season. He is so fast, and quick is it ridiculous.

And last but not least, Reggie Walker woke up. In the 3rd preseason game he just woke up, and was all over the field. He is not only a ST guy now, he is good solid depth at ILB.

Couldn't be happier with our ILB position.

CB:
We needed a CB#2. I was happy with Greg Toler as the guy, but the Cardinals did better and then some. William Gay, and Jamell Flemming are better than Toler, so Greg Toler is our 4th CB. Yeah, that is pretty sweet. That is a very good talent secondary. I hope and it seems to be that Jamell Flemming is going to be the CB#2 sooner rather than later. Flemming is listed at 5'11" but looks bigger and taller than that. We are going to have two big, fast, smart, and talented CB's on the edges.

Not only am I happy about this situation, it is better than I expected.

S:

Being one of the few that respects, and likes Kerry Rhodes, and Wilson is Wilson I was fine with the Cardinals starting safeties. I am still wary of Rashad Johnson, but I really like James Sanders, and Justin Bethel who is extremely raw has all the physical tools to be a great FS someday.

With the improved depth, I couldn't be happier with this situation.

Special Teams:
Eh. Keeping Feely and Zastudil is well..... eh. Not great, not bad. I would have really liked a better punter, but Zastudil has not be horrible to be fair.

As for the rest? Michael Adams, LSH, William Powell, and Justin Bethel. That is some good talent on special teams. Then for FG blocks you add Patrick Peterson, and Calais Campbell. Futhermore, we have Peterson returning punts, and LSH/Powell returning kicks.

Not bad at all.

So yeah. This team has some flaws. If they win 8 games I will be happily surprised. But, while the Cardinals didn't do EXACTLY what I would have done, they did follow the philosophy, and wants and needs that I was looking for.

So, while I can nit-pick this guy over that guy, I cannot exactly say they didn't do anything that needed to be done this offseason. Nor can I say they don't have a roster with changes that I wanted to see.

Go Cardinals!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im I the only one who hates the phrase "Eat crow"? Ive only started hearing that the past few years and I wonder where it comes from, but it drives me nuts. The hell is "Crow"?

whatever happened to good old "I was wrong"?

Not to hijack the thread, Good analysis OP

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good stuff!

But - Philly fans would gladly give us Demetress Bell and they are hoping that King Dunlap doesn't get their QB killed. There O-line woes are as desperate as ours.

PS: Unless they find something on the open market, I wouldn't be surprised if Haggans is back after week one.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im I the only one who hates the phrase "Eat crow"? Ive only started hearing that the past few years and I wonder where it comes from, but it drives me nuts. The hell is "Crow"?

Google the expression and you'll find the source. My peeves are 'chomping at the bit' instead of 'champing', and 'the proof is in the pudding' instead of the proper 'the proof of a pudding is in the eating'.

Sorry to hijack - please ignore

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rugby, you make a compelling case for the Cardinals. I'm fairly confident in the QB, but am not sure about the OL. Hope they'll improve as the year goes on. My guess is that a pretty good (or two) OL hit the WW, just not a name player/players. It will show just how good our pro personnel people are. Or aren't.

Must keep in mind that we don't have the #1 WW pick.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice work-up Muffin. I will join you and eat some crow as well. As you well know, I have been down on CKW over his QB handling, but in the end, he did get it right. Skelton IS the logical choice to begin this season, especially in light of the re-vamped offensive line. He is bigger, stronger, and more athletic than Kolb, and better suited to take a beating while the line gets a chance to gell. As you well pointed out, he still continues to attack downfield. If, at some point Kolb has to come in to replace Skelton, there will certainly not be the huge weight of pressure on him that would have been there if he started now.

As for the final cuts, I find no fault with those made. In fact, if Jefferson pans out with a couple of extra picks next year, we are waaaay ahead of the game. I am very pleased with the job that the front office has done this year. The fact that Massie, Kelemete, and Potter were skilled pass rushers is a huge plus. I was counting on them to be quality depth, but Massie is being thrown in immediately, and is showing promise far beyond my expectations of him. Keim seems to be trumping Grimm's inability to develop pass protection, (yet Grimm is being successful in teaching run blocking). By selecting proven pass blockers in the draft, Keim has been invaluable this year. This line shows promise, and upon the return of Levi, also shows good depth. We are much farther along than last year on the O-line.

I was somewhat surprised to see Haggans cut. Its not that Groves outplayed him, but that Whiz and company no longer seem stuck in 'keeping the old guard' mode like they have previously been. Again, kudos to Whiz and company.

All in all, I like where we stand entering this season. We have an even chance of winning the opener, and that is huge in my estimation. If we can get that win early, then I believe we can grow and mature as the season progresses, and still be competitive in the West. Winning against Seattle would be huge for this team. Go Cards!!!!!!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The phrase eating crow means to admit that you were wrong, and people thinks it originated in the mid-19th century. No one is sure where the phrase really originated, but agree it probably derived somehow from 'eating your own words' or some such.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rugby, you make a compelling case for the Cardinals. I'm fairly confident in the QB, but am not sure about the OL. Hope they'll improve as the year goes on. My guess is that a pretty good (or two) OL hit the WW, just not a name player/players. It will show just how good our pro personnel people are. Or aren't.

Must keep in mind that we don't have the #1 WW pick.

To be clear. I am saying the Cardinals made the moves I wanted them to make. But, those moves didn't exactly involve the players I wanted to be involved. Again, but, I did think these "moves" needed to get done.

I think D'Anthony Batiste is the best example. I wanted Levi Brown replaced at LT, but with a known name like a Jeff Backus. Levi Brown is not playing LT for the Cardinals this year, and D'Anthony Batiste is. I would rather someone who has better potential, but I will take it. It will either make me appreciate Levi Brown, or Batiste will be better than Brown and we have the new LT that I wanted.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Google the expression and you'll find the source. My peeves are 'chomping at the bit' instead of 'champing', and 'the proof is in the pudding' instead of the proper 'the proof of a pudding is in the eating'.

Sorry to hijack - please ignore
hunger pains instead of hunger pangs?

as for the topic. I'm also a big Rhodes fan, but I do think Johnson improved a LOT last year and am more than happy with him as the backup. Bethel is crazy talented and in a few years could be an elite FS if everything goes right

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
hunger pains instead of hunger pangs?

as for the topic. I'm also a big Rhodes fan, but I do think Johnson improved a LOT last year and am more than happy with him as the backup. Bethel is crazy talented and in a few years could be an elite FS if everything goes right

Good one!

An American redudancy I love: Tuna Fish Sandwich. Have you ever heard anyone order a Salmon 'fish' Sandwich?

Last edited:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good one!

An American redudancy I love: Tuna Fish Sandwich. Have you ever heard anyone order a Salmon 'fish' Sandwich?
or more importantly, is there a mammal, bird, etc. called a tuna? Now a dolphin fish sandwich would make sense lol

also, Jessica Simpson needs that kind of clarification

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious what you mean by Housler's fall down the depth chart? He wasn't likely to be the starter unless King got hurt anyways. Obviously didn't have a great preseason but given how unsettled the QB and OL issues were that's not surprising. Skelton finished the preseason as the leading TE receiver with 10 catches, and is going to PS. Housler and Heap tied for 2nd with 7(but Housler had 30 more yards) and then King with 2 in limited reps and if healthy the clear starter.

If we go conservative and play alot of 2 TE I'm expecting to see more of Housler than Heap.

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
The biggest thing for me seems to be a shift in the mindset, as Catfish hinted at earlier.

They seem to be more comfortable going with youth. Certainly on the D - must be Horton's influence.
I am sorry to see Haggans go but am high on Groves- I think he will have a lot to prove and maybe have the old chip on his shoulder.

Keeping the 3 young linemen from the draft is a positive and as mentioned I think Heap will make way for Skelton at some point.

Not sure if I am being naive but does the Snyder pick up have anything to do with giving us a big insight into the workings of the 49er schemes.
He might be more valuable by what he can pass on knowledge wise than what he can do in the OL.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another good thread with a ton of good input from everyone.

I am very bummed that Levi went down, of course it was at the one position on the oline that we didn't have solid depth. Having said that I think Batiste will be okayish and now Grim and Miller will need to work some magic.

The thing about eating crow is that it typically lasts until the next game is played and then the kitchen staff has to start prepping more.

I wasn't as vocal as Rugby on Stew Bradley but agreed that he was a great pick up and then in the camp that was an "apologist" for his play last year. Thrilled to see him apparently find his groove because the dude has mad skills.