Eagles at Cardinals gameday thread 10-9-22

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I watched the game I thought, “ Glad those first 15 plays are over”.

I literally wrote in the game thread on the bright side we are done with teh 15 plays.

In the 49ers game they said that Shanahan scripts the first 24 plays of the first half and then the first 8 of the 2nd half. I hope Kliff doesn't hear that.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah right. And if the play gets blown up? Come on. No way do you go for it and pass on a FG made at least 80-85% in the NFL.
With the no name kicker who was sh***ing his pants just thinking about that kick? The dude who botched a (closer) game tying kick vs Colts 2 weeks ago as a fill in? He may never see the NFL field again.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@Russ Smith Also AJ Green not winning one on one matchups outside/downfield really limits this offense.

And Im not saying we have someone who can replace last year's AJ (and not even counting Hopkins).

From averaging 15.7 YPC to like 5? Just dont get the chunk plays we did before. And truthfully Kyler was a top 3 deep passer the last several years.

A below average deep passing game really limits Kyler's game. Just way too many misses from him. He's gotta be elite at that again to cover up other flaws.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith Also AJ Green not winning one on one matchups outside/downfield really limits this offense.

And Im not saying we have someone who can replace last year's AJ (and not even counting Hopkins).

From averaging 15.7 YPC to like 5? Just dont get the chunk plays we did before. And truthfully Kyler was a top 3 deep passer the last several years.

A below average deep passing game really limits Kyler's game. Just way too many misses from him. He's gotta be elite at that again to cover up other flaws.

I can't fault Green today he made a few big plays.

Kyler started terribly the INT was totally on him. The miss on Ertz was on him, the one to Rondale was on him. He played much better in the 2nd half but screwed up at the end.

I do think D Hop changes this offense in a big way. One of my disappointments today was after last week we completely abandoned McBride today. Rondale made some big plays but I wanted to see more 2 TE sets. They showed another play today where the announcer said Kyler should have gone to Ertz instead of the dumpoff behind the LOS but on the replay McBride was actually open deeper than Ertz for a first down.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the no name kicker who was sh***ing his pants just thinking about that kick? The dude who botched a (closer) game tying kick vs Colts 2 weeks ago as a fill in? He may never see the NFL field again
Nobody, not even the Chargers coach, goes for it in that situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eagles have a great secondary and a good defense, and we shown we can move the ball on them without Hopkins. I am just not mad after this loss and a bit encouraged compared to how the games have went so far... that kick would have been no good even with ten more yards
We scored 17 points. Maybe don’t get too excited.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On the final game-winning eagles drive Watt and Allen were not on the field for most of it. Result: they ran the ball down 'our' throat. We don't have an inside LB who can get off a block.
Yup. This. Our first round ILBs just really aren’t much more than average.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same here. Another stupid move by Keim

Blankenship isn't signing to be a 1 week sub kicker. I'm sure every team needing a temp kicker has tried him.

He's waiting for somebody to lose their kicker for the season and doesn't want to be on someone's roster for a week or two when that happens.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sigh. Way to go stadium clock operator.

It ain't on him man. They get that wrong 5 times a game. Everyone knows you can't trust that.

Kyler could have asked the ref or, I don't know, looked at the giant orange down marker on the touchline.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The defense shares the loss, cards are better after 4 games, but heto ball is always 50/50 - with normal kicker, Kyler would be the hero, but really lost in the first 1/2 again,

Since game one the defense has allowed 23, 20, 9 and 20.

Those are all winning numbers. The defence has done their job the last 4 games.

The offense 21, 23, 12, 26, 20.

In this NFL you have to score more than 23 regularly to have a chance of winning and we've only done that once.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough loss because I thought overall we played hard, and played pretty well.

If you guys want to crucify Murray, whatever. The slide and the spiked sucked, but he made a bunch of good plays too. How do you think we got all the way down to the 30 yard line in a 1:30 in the first place? But have at it, and I hope it makes you feel better. Your righteous anger. lol..

There are some good things to take away from this game, and I still have some hope for this season.

What pass did he make the entire game that was difficult?

He managed a "paint by numbers" offense that dunked its way down the field for the most part.

Everything else he sucked at. Stupid INT on a badly underthrown pass, huge miss to Ertz on the final drive, TD pass was there for Moore but no touch which cost us 4, 3rd down pass to Ertz that was high and wide, shot to Green out of bounds. Numerous sailed passes.

Everything that wasn't a 6 yard pass was poor.

Even his 25 yard TD pass was really a 7 yard pass and YAC.

He was better than he has been recently but still well below par.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
What pass did he make the entire game that was difficult?

He managed a "paint by numbers" offense that dunked its way down the field for the most part.

Everything else he sucked at. Stupid INT on a badly underthrown pass, huge miss to Ertz on the final drive, TD pass was there for Moore but no touch which cost us 4, 3rd down pass to Ertz that was high and wide, shot to Green out of bounds. Numerous sailed passes.

Everything that wasn't a 6 yard pass was poor.

Even his 25 yard TD pass was really a 7 yard pass and YAC.

He was better than he has been recently but still well below par.
From a pure passing standpoint I agree he played below average, and I’m just going to leave it at that. I’m not going to waste my whole week arguing with you about if k1 is any good or not. If you don’t think we’ll ever win anything with him, that’s fine, I disagree, and you can post a bunch of screenshots to prove how awesomely right you are. I hate getting sucked into these discussions because they are a waste of life. Have a great week!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I can't fault Green today he made a few big plays.

Kyler started terribly the INT was totally on him. The miss on Ertz was on him, the one to Rondale was on him. He played much better in the 2nd half but screwed up at the end.

I do think D Hop changes this offense in a big way. One of my disappointments today was after last week we completely abandoned McBride today. Rondale made some big plays but I wanted to see more 2 TE sets. They showed another play today where the announcer said Kyler should have gone to Ertz instead of the dumpoff behind the LOS but on the replay McBride was actually open deeper than Ertz for a first down.
I'll give the kid credit for today for sure.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From a pure passing standpoint I agree he played below average, and I’m just going to leave it at that. I’m not going to waste my whole week arguing with you about if k1 is any good or not. If you don’t think we’ll ever win anything with him, that’s fine, I disagree, and you can post a bunch of screenshots to prove how awesomely right you are. I hate getting sucked into these discussions because they are a waste of life. Have a great week!

You have me wrong. I think Kyler is a good QB, we have seen that.

I think he's playing garbage. He's especially been garbage at the thing that's save his ass for the last 3 seasons and that is accurate passing over 10 yards. He's been one of the best deep ball throwers in the league. We have been the receiving core around that. And he's just been awful.

There's a difference.

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
Since game one the defense has allowed 23, 20, 9 and 20.

Those are all winning numbers. The defence has done their job the last 4 games.

The offense 21, 23, 12, 26, 20.

In this NFL you have to score more than 23 regularly to have a chance of winning and we've only done that once.
We’re next to last in sacks and will be dead last if Raiders secure two sacks tonight. Six total sacks. The defense has been better than the offense, but there is absolutely blame to go on the defense. We cannot get to the QB without blitzing.

Even if the offense was humming, I fear the lack of pass-rush will come back to bite us. Pretty much like the 2015 season.

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
I’ll even add that we have played some really poor OLines: Raiders, Rams, and Panthers, while also playing the Eagles down multiple starters.

Scary.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
You have me wrong. I think Kyler is a good QB, we have seen that.

I think he's playing garbage. He's especially been garbage at the thing that's save his ass for the last 3 seasons and that is accurate passing over 10 yards. He's been one of the best deep ball throwers in the league. We have been the receiving core around that. And he's just been awful.

There's a difference.

Okay, that's not unreasonable. Have a good week.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’re next to last in sacks and will be dead last if Raiders secure two sacks tonight. Six total sacks. The defense has been better than the offense, but there is absolutely blame to go on the defense. We cannot get to the QB without blitzing.

Even if the offense was humming, I fear the lack of pass-rush will come back to bite us. Pretty much like the 2015 season.

I couldn't care less how many sacks we have. How we achieve the one and only statistic that matters doesn't matter.

All that matters is that nobody has put more than 23 on us since the Chiefs. We kept the Eagles to their lowest score of the season. Our defense has been fine.

Our offense has been terrible, particularly in the 1st half.

And this isn't even accounting for the fact that a lot of the points we have given up have come early because our offense sucks in the first half, can't keep the ball and gives the opposition multiple drive opportunities.

One reason the defense is better in the 2nd is that the offense is better and actually gives them a breather and time to gather their thoughts and make adjustments.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose