Reaction score
Kerr got it done.
:thewave::thewave::thewave:
Welcome Dragic
Is it Christmas already?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I'm in a wait and see approach. Do I think a deal is done? Yes. But I'll reserve my jubilation when the Suns do a press conference or both East Valley Tribune and the Arizona Republic say so.

Reaction score

not yet?
wth?
Dragic clears hurdle in quest to join Suns
Jerry Brown, Tribune
The Suns moved a step closer to bringing second-round pick Goran Dragic to Phoenix this year when a Slovenian court settled a dispute between two European teams over how much of Dragic’s potential buyout agreement they would receive.
But the Suns also flatly denied a report by SportingNews.com that they will sign the 22-year-old point guard to a contract of at least three years and that a buyout agreement between Dragic and his Spanish team, Tau Cerimaca, has been reached. Such a deal must occur before Dragic can leave for the NBA.
Suns vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said the team continues to monitor the situation closely and the team remains hopeful that Dragic will be in a Suns uniform this season.
The agreement between Tau and Dragic’s hometown team Geoplin Flovan, which technically owned his rights, could move the process along, provided that Tau can reach an agreement large enough to attract a quality player to replace Dragic on their roster.
Dragic has been quoted on several occasions this summer saying he expects to stay with Tau this season, where he would be a backup point guard. But the Suns appear ready to use a fair portion of their mid-level expectation to sign Dragic to a multi-year contract that will allow him to secure a buyout a year early and become the full-time backup to Steve Nash this season.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/123007

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, I think this latest step significantly improves the Suns chances of getting Dragic, but does not make it a done deal.

Given their druthers, Tau would like to keep Dragic for a couple of years before letting his contract be bought out. However, the decision by the court to negate the minimal buyout arrangeement deal that Tau had means Tau now owes $500,000 in a cash if they want to keep him. That's why they are prepared to let the Suns do a buyout so Tau can get the buyout money immediately and use part of it to buy out his former team.

To make this deal work, the Suns have to pay not only $500,000 ordinarily available for buyouts but also pay Dragic enough to pay Tau and still end up with money close to what he would make with Tau. This will mean using a big chunk of the MLE, which apparently Sarver has OK'd.

The most positive part of this process is that Dragic's agent represents several Suns players. He understands the value of getting Dragic onto the RFA clock.