Draft trades and draft rumors

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not the #6 pick in a historically weak draft.

Ok, whatever keep saying the pick sucks - I don't agree. The draft is really weak - after the first 7,8 picks.

But even in a weak draft, there is always a few players that make big impacts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok, whatever keep saying the pick sucks - I don't agree. The draft is really weak - after the first 7,8 picks.

Kudos for staying positive. I'm just jaded because a) the players in this draft aren't ranked very high outside of Zion. Morant IMO is one of the weakest #2 picks in memory. And b) The Suns have proven in the past that we simply don't draft very well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the depth of this draft but a lot of them are projects.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man that’s bleak.
Kudos for staying positive. I'm just jaded because a) the players in this draft aren't ranked very high outside of Zion. Morant IMO is one of the weakest #2 picks in memory. And b) The Suns have proven in the past that we simply don't draft very well.[/QUOT

Just what have the Suns done well with Sarver owning the team?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kudos for staying positive. I'm just jaded because a) the players in this draft aren't ranked very high outside of Zion. Morant IMO is one of the weakest #2 picks in memory. And b) The Suns have proven in the past that we simply don't draft very well.

James Jones is drafting, not McDonough.

We have no history to go off of.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We've been pathetic at drafting for a long time. Hell, almost half the picks that were decent/good were sold or traded away on draft night. From 2003 on...

From wiki

2003 1 17 Žarko Čabarkapa Serbia and Montenegro
(now Serbia & Montenegro)
Budućnost Podgorica (Serbia & Montenegro)
2004 1 7 Luol Deng[d] Sudan (now South Sudan[e])
United Kingdom SF Duke
2005 1 21 Nate Robinson[f] United States PG Washington
2005 2 57 Marcin Gortat Poland C RheinEnergie Köln (Germany)
2006 1 21 Rajon Rondo[g] United States PG Kentucky
2006 1 27 Sergio Rodríguez[h] Spain PG Adecco Estudiantes (Spain)
2007 1 24 Rudy Fernández[j] Spain G Joventut Badalona (Spain)
2007 1 29 Alando Tucker United States F Wisconsin
2007 2 59 D. J. Strawberry United States G Maryland
2008 1 15 Robin Lopez[k] United States F Stanford
2008 2 48 Malik Hairston[l][m] United States G Oregon
2009 1 14 Earl Clark United States SF Louisville
2009 2 48 Taylor Griffin United States SF Oklahoma
2009 2 57 Emir Preldžič[n][o] Bosnia and Herzegovina
Slovenia
Turkey[p] SF Fenerbahçe Ülker (Turkey)[10]
2010 2 46 Gani Lawal[q] United States PF Georgia Tech
2010 2 60 Dwayne Collins[r] United States PF Miami (FL)
2011 1 13 Markieff Morris United States PF Kansas
2012 1 13 Kendall Marshall United States PG North Carolina
2013 1 5 Alex Len Ukraine C Maryland
2013 1 30 Nemanja Nedović Serbia SG/PG Liteuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
2013 2 57 Alex Oriakhi United States PF Missouri
2014 1 14 T. J. Warren United States SF North Carolina State
2014 1 18 Tyler Ennis Canada PG Syracuse
2014 1 27 Bogdan Bogdanović Serbia SG Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)
2014 2 50 Alec Brown United States C/PF Wisconsin–Green Bay
2015 1 13 Devin Booker United States SG Kentucky
2015 2 44 Andrew Harrison United States PG Kentucky
2016 1 4 Dragan Bender Croatia[t] PF/C Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv (Israel)
2016 1 13 Georgios Papagiannis Greece C Panathinaikos Athens (Greece)
2016 1 28 Skal Labissière Haiti PF/C Kentucky
2016 2 34 Tyler Ulis United States PG Kentucky
2017 1 4 Josh Jackson United States SF Kansas
2017 2 32 Davon Reed United States SG Miami (FL)
2017 2 54 Alec Peters United States PF/SF Valparaiso
2018 1 1 DeAndre Ayton Bahamas C Arizona
2018 1 16 Zhaire Smith United States SG Texas Tech
2018 2 31 Élie Okobo France PG Élan Béarnais Pau-Lacq-Orthez (France)
2018 2 59 George King United States SG Colorado

Luol Deng - traded/sold
Nate Robinson - traded/sold
Rajon Rondo - traded/sold
Sergio Rodriguez - traded/sold
Rudy Fernandez - traded/sold
Bogdan Bagdonovic -traded before coming to NBA

Decent/Good picks
Lopez
Morris
Warren
Bridges (traded Zhiare Smith)

Great picks
Booker
Ayton (no brainer either way)
Gortat (2nd rounder)

Total picks (traded on draft night or not)
1 #1
4 #2-9
10 #10-19
8 #20-30

Probably traded about 10-15 other first round picks during this time. Usually to get rid of salary. Or in Kurt Thomas's situation... over pay to get, and actually pay massively to get rid of an expiring contract to avoid luxury tax. He then proceeds to kill us in the playoffs in two future years.

6/23 picks decent-great in 17 years. About an equal number traded/sold on draft night.

Absolutely pathetic.

Good luck James Jones, you have merely shower shoes with fungus on them to fill.

You must be registered for see images attach

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We've been pathetic at drafting for a long time. Hell, almost half the picks that were decent/good were sold or traded away on draft night. From 2003 on...

Luol Deng - traded/sold

Decent/Good picks
Lopez
Morris
Warren

Great picks
Booker
Gortat (2nd rounder)

1 #1
4 #2-9
10 #10-19
8 #20-30

Probably traded about 10-15 other first round picks during this time. Usually to get rid of salary. Or in Kurt Thomas's situation... over pay to get, and actually pay massively to get rid of an expiring contract to avoid luxury tax. He then proceeds to kill us in the playoffs in two future years.

6/23 picks decent-great in 17 years. About an equal number traded/sold on draft night.

Absolutely pathetic.

Good luck James Jones, you have merely shower shoes with fungus on them to fill.

Lopez over Roy Hibbert and Morris over Kawhi Leonard were horrible picks.

And Gortat was traded away to Orlando in that draft. He only came back later in a trade, I believe along with Jared Dudley in exchange for Jason Richardson and Raja Bell.

EDIT: My mistake. Gortat has acquired alongside Vince Carter and Mikael Pietrus in exchange for Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu and Earl Clark. Trading Bell is what got us Richardson and Dudley.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
James Jones is drafting, not McDonough.

We have no history to go off of.
Except he was part of mcd’s staff and the suns allegedly let go of a big portion of their scouting staff and it’s been reported that they weren’t focused on scouting the draft bc they want more established players. So nothing to worry about here...

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
That's a good breakdown of their history under Sarver. And no surprise that as a result, the franchise is such a massive laughing stock these days.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lopez over Roy Hibbert and Morris over Kawhi Leonard were horrible picks.

And Gortat was traded away to Orlando in that draft. He only came back later in a trade, I believe along with Jared Dudley in exchange for Jason Richardson and Raja Bell.

You're right. Something was telling me we traded away Gortat, but I wasn't trying to be perfect with the post. Just illustrating how bad we are and capturing most of it.

I did not take into account whatsoever who was drafted behind what we did.

So in essence, my post is more rose colored glasses than reality. Despite that, our drafting and overall front office/ownership use of draft capital has been pathetic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Luol Deng - traded/sold

Decent/Good picks
Lopez
Morris
Warren

Great picks
Booker
Gortat (2nd rounder)

1 #1
4 #2-9
10 #10-19
8 #20-30

Absolutely pathetic.

A couple of notes, I don't see Goran Dragic listed and the Suns selected Marcin Gortat for the Magic.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A couple of notes, I don't see Goran Dragic listed and the Suns selected Gortat for the Magic.

Wasn't meant to be perfect, and I think we traded for Dragic after the draft if memory serves correct?

I think the wiki list is what the official draft picks were. Thus why there is no Bridges and has us taking Zhiare Smith.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Wasn't meant to be perfect, and I think we traded for Dragic after the draft if memory serves correct?

That is correct. Although the Spurs reputedly made the selection on the Suns behalf.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambo has been shutting down every possible out come of everything, I don't trust one thing he's saying right now all smokescreen
He threw out the caveat yesterday that there may be guys PHX is interested in that he doesn’t know about but when some other insider mentions a name he says they don’t know. In his opinion he can’t be wrong. I remember when he was wrong about Mikal Bridges being the guy PHX traded for he threw his so called source under the bus saying that was what he was told. I don’t see why any GM or coach would give him inside info before something happens. I’d listen to Woj or Shams before Gambo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think the wiki list is what the official draft picks were. Thus why there is no Bridges and has us taking Zhiare Smith.

We actually acquired Dragic on draft night, with the Spurs drafting him for is the way we drafted Gortat for Orlando.

Same goes for Leandro Barbosa.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only wanted to throw that out there. The Suns traded the Spurs two second round picks for Dragic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I came in late on this draft talk. Bickley was saying under McDonough, as reporters they always came away from draft night noting the moves he made and marveling about how slick he moved up or down, etc., to get players. Now looking back, McD was good at making moves, but not selecting the right talent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. The entire world loved lonzo ball, they loved sam bowie, they loved Markelle Fultz, Josh Jackson, they loved andrew wiggens, Dragan Bender was rated highly etc.

I know what my eyes see, Coby White is never going to be an all-star level player - he will be lucky to ever hold down a starting job.

That's way off even allowing for a little hyperbole.

A lot of people loved Ball but he had a lot of detractors, close to half the fans I read were very much against him. I was opposed to drafting him but that's solely because of his dad, I actually thought he'd be a star in the NBA.

Sam Bowie was a bad pick only in that there was someone even better than him. Jordan notwithstanding, Bowie would have easily justified his draft slot if it hadn't been for chronic injury problems.

I was adamantly against Fultz and wanted at least a half dozen other players over Josh Jackson and I know I wasn't alone.

Bender was highly rated by some but not even close to all.

Wiggins was a huge miss for most of us but there's no denying he has the physical gifts to be a stud, he just lacks in the mental and emotional areas and that is almost impossible to gauge prior to the big pay day.

As for White, I have serious concerns about him but if you don't see at least the potential for stardom, I'd have to question how much you've actually watched him. I hope we don't draft him so I can easily understand anyone else feeling the same way - his flaws are quite alarming. But his strengths are almost as impressive IMO and if he's coachable and willing to work, a guarantee that he won't succeed is foolhardy AFAIC.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came in late on this draft talk. Bickley was saying under McDonough, as reporters they always came away from draft night noting the moves he made and marveling about how slick he moved up or down, etc., to get players. Now looking back, McD was good at making moves, but not selecting the right talent.

Maybe Jones needs to make picks that perhaps are unpopular based on BPA. Majerle and Hornacek were not acclaimed picks by fans.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe Jones needs to make picks that perhaps are unpopular based on BPA. Majerle and Hornacek were not acclaimed picks.
I forgot who all the picks were, but right around that time period, guys were routinely booed on draft night, and turned out to be some of our better players. I think they booed The Matrix on draft night. I remember every time they were booed, I would tell my wife, Suns just made a good pick! Now lately, people cheer our picks. Which worries me about Ayton. Probably biggest draft night cheer I ever heard by Suns fans!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard