Draft Thoughts

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he wasn't our guy, we would have drafted his replacement at 4
We are chained to KM because of his contract and guaranteed money. SK signed off on the deal that made him 'our guy.' I believe JJ, Penix, and Nix were still on the board at 4. My guess is that our FO did not see any of those three as value over KM + cap hit + drama.

I wanted the Cards to take a QB at #4 if the value was there. With the brutal 17-game schedule (plus playoffs if you qualfty), QBs are lucky to go without serious injury for the season. We need two QBs on the roster.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What do you think of Desmond Ridder?

Is he a capable fill for a few games in case of injury?
Ridder started 17 games for Atlanta and went 8-9. He had a high INT rate but that is nothing unusual for a newbie QB. He has more game experience than Tune. He had some great plays mixed in with some real bonehead moves. One thing he did do is get us a return on Rondale Moore before we cut him. Not sure what else is out there---he's still on his rookie contract and a vet starter which will be hard to match come camp cuts and other possible QBs. Maybe the Cards saw something there that can be corrected and succeed within their scheme. He'll have to do until something else develops. His arm is not as strong as KM's but it may work with our apparent move to a run-heavy offense.

Given the way the QBs came off the draft board, it looks like Rattler might have been the only QB open for the Cards to draft. Then it becomes a question of Ridder or Rattler (had to get that in).

What is your rating on Ridder?

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Discourse tries to make it seem otherwise, but the NFL Draft is not a zero sum game. Every team got better in the draft; every team is excited about the prospects they selected; every team is shocked their guy was still on the board when their number came up.

Thats why the power rankings won’t move. Also, power rankings are dumb.

Polls that confirm bias arent dumb unless I don't have that bias

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ridder started 17 games for Atlanta and went 8-9. He had a high INT rate but that is nothing unusual for a newbie QB. He has more game experience than Tune. He had some great plays mixed in with some real bonehead moves. One thing he did do is get us a return on Rondale Moore before we cut him. Not sure what else is out there---he's still on his rookie contract and a vet starter which will be hard to match come camp cuts and other possible QBs. Maybe the Cards saw something there that can be corrected and succeed within their scheme. He'll have to do until something else develops. His arm is not as strong as KM's but it may work with our apparent move to a run-heavy offense.

What is your rating on Ridder?
I have to compare him to who was available in the draft

Nix or Penix

Not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade

The one thing Ridder has is game speed experience and has admitted that he has flaws to work on. Being humble and willing to put in the work to improve is big with me

Overall I think we are better with Ridder as the backup and MHJ as our pick at #4

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Polls that confirm bias arent dumb unless I don't have that bias
Polls that confirm bias are good and correct. Polls that don’t confirm bias are rigged and skewed.

There’s a reason you’ll never see me posting PFF grades regardless of whether they support my argument or not. Same with CB coverage grades. I don’t believe the data sets are reliable.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"KM had injured his ankle earlier which may explain his collapse (he took the month of November off and McCoy filled in). Or maybe it was just a temper tantrum at losing (note that there is not sign of a ankle as KM drops back to throw)." is not the same as "I stated that he injured his ankle and took the month of November off.".
Are you seriously suggesting that I block quote myself in my response? I summarized my statement into a single sentence. Are you a KM fanboy looking for something to dislike in my comments? If you get to the point of my post you will see that I doubt how much of a leader KM is. Now, if you want to get your panties in a knot over something as a KM fanboy, that would be it. Not my summary of my opening remarks.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Convince yourself of 'whatever'.

There aren't many who'll buy your laughable, over-the-top premise.
When KM went to the ground after the missed connection with Green, he threw Green under the bus for the miss. His actions were those of a self-centered player and not those of a team leader. A team leader always takes responsibility---even when it is not his mistake. It is vital to keep the team and all players together going forward. If the team leader is gracious toward the offending player, the rest of the team will follow.

If you think that is laughable or over-the-top, do some research on Leadership. Plenty of info out there to support my premise.

Reaction score
Are you seriously suggesting that I block quote myself in my response? I summarized my statement into a single sentence. Are you a KM fanboy looking for something to dislike in my comments? If you get to the point of my post you will see that I doubt how much of a leader KM is. Now, if you want to get your panties in a knot over something as a KM fanboy, that would be it. Not my summary of my opening remarks.
Those are direct quotes from your post. I'm a Cardinal fanboy & I'm pretty sure you are a troll. Has nothing to do with your view of KM btw.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are chained to KM because of his contract and guaranteed money. SK signed off on the deal that made him 'our guy.' I believe JJ, Penix, and Nix were still on the board at 4. My guess is that our FO did not see any of those three as value over KM + cap hit + drama.

I wanted the Cards to take a QB at #4 if the value was there. With the brutal 17-game schedule (plus playoffs if you qualfty), QBs are lucky to go without serious injury for the season. We need two QBs on the roster.
Tell that to the Broncos and Russell Wilson.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're right that Payton jumped the shark on the notion that you can't cut a high-priced player based on salary cap issues alone. Sean Payton made the call that Bo Nix was more valuable than Russell Wilson + cap hit + drama. Cards FO did not make that same calculation with KM and potentially drafting a new QB.

KM should thank his stars that Payton did not take the Cards job.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Those are direct quotes from your post. I'm a Cardinal fanboy & I'm pretty sure you are a troll. Has nothing to do with your view of KM btw.
I don't need you to tell me what I said. Just because my opinion does not line up with yours, it doesn't make me a troll. Why don't you add some substance to the conversation instead of scolding me over some nonsense about what you want to tell me what I said???

"Hey, where's Bob?"
"He fell and broke his leg. He's taking the next month off."
"Oh . . . OK."

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't need you to tell me what I said. Just because my opinion does not line up with yours, it doesn't make me a troll. Why don't you add some substance to the conversation instead of scolding me over some nonsense about what you want to tell me what I said???

"Hey, where's Bob?"
"He fell and broke his leg. He's taking the next month off."
"Oh . . . OK."
You're going to be in for a long season if you're going to complain that KM is going to be our QB this season.

You don't like the fact the Cardinals didn't draft a QB? That's too bad. JG thought they didn't need to replace him just yet.

I just don't see the point of bringing up something from a few seasons ago considering how badly coached the team was when KK was here.

If you're thinking of QB for the future I'd hate to have Sanders here. His ego needs to be checked in a big way.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When KM went to the ground after the missed connection with Green, he threw Green under the bus for the miss. His actions were those of a self-centered player and not those of a team leader. A team leader always takes responsibility---even when it is not his mistake. It is vital to keep the team and all players together going forward. If the team leader is gracious toward the offending player, the rest of the team will follow.

If you think that is laughable or over-the-top, do some research on Leadership. Plenty of info out there to support my premise.

KM showed his disappointment, and Green later confirmed that the miss communication was on him.

If I ever need a $99.00 course on leadership, I'll get back to you.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Polls that confirm bias are good and correct. Polls that don’t confirm bias are rigged and skewed.

There’s a reason you’ll never see me posting PFF grades regardless of whether they support my argument or not. Same with CB coverage grades. I don’t believe the data sets are reliable.
But DVOA is....

:biglaugh:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KM showed his disappointment, and Green later confirmed that the miss communication was on him.

If I ever need a $99.00 course on leadership, I'll get back to you.
I cannot find a source that states 'Green later confirmed that the miss communication was on him (not "miss communication" but 'miscommunication' unless there is a young lady involved). Can you provide a link? If you cannot, please say so.

You don't need to spend $99.00 on a leadership course. Here's what James Conner (a true leader) said after the game: “Just a little miscommunication … we’re not gonna put this on one guy,” running back James Conner said. “We’re just gonna get back to it.” Sorry, but that is what KM should have said:

Even Greg Moore on the AZ Republic doesn't get it and needs to listen to Conner:

As to leaders accepting blame when things go wrong:

"A great leader inspires their team to achieve greatness and encourages them to work together. The leader sets the direction and advises teams to attain their goals. However, being a leader is more than just giving instructions and taking credit for accomplishments. They should also be ready to take accountability and accept the blame for their team's mistakes. This is because, as a leader, it is their responsibility to ensure that their team is protected and not hurt by any negative repercussions. By doing this, the leader shows that they care and value their team's success over their own. A great leader should always put their team first."

After KM went out for a month with his sprained ankle, Colt McCoy showed his leadership to overcome the difficult loss and came in and went 2-1. After the 'Bye,' KM returned as the starter and went 2-4 and finished the season with a playoff loss to the Rams.

PS KM is not 'the guy:' KM is SK's guy.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a die hard Kyler fan, but I do believe that Kyler can be a successful/winning QB. personally- this is a make or break year in my point of view.

Even if Kyler stinks though- id still be glad that we took MHJr. The dude is a talent that has the capacity to be the best WR in the NFL. I'll take that over penix/nix/McCarthy gamble QB prospects any day. If we have to press the reset button on QB after this year- so be it. I'd rather reset with a stud wr than without

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not a die hard Kyler fan, but I do believe that Kyler can be a successful/winning QB. personally- this is a make or break year in my point of view.
In your opinion, what's going to be the W-L record for a make-or-break season? How many wins do the Cards need under KM for you to say it was a successful season and we continue on with KM as our QB? I've been using the Detroit Lions as a model for how a bad roster evolves into a contender. They went 9-8 the 2nd year under HC Campbell until their 12-win season last year and a push into the playoffs.

I agree on MHJ---one way or the other he should be able to rise above whoever we have at QB. Fitz did it for years with a long list of QB duds. Imagine what Fitz's numbers would be if he played with KW or Palmer for his entire career.

Like all draft picks, the real success is measured after the guys have been in the league for a few years and performing. Will a top-five QB emerge out of Penix/Nix/JJ? Then the decision made at #4 becomes more open to debate. If they all bomb, Monti will look like a genius for passing on a QB.

Last edited:

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
In your opinion, what's going to be the W-L record for a make-or-break season? How many wins do the Cards need under KM for you to say it was a successful season and we continue on with KM as our QB? I've been using the Detroit Lions as a model for how a bad roster evolves into a contender. They went 9-8 the 2nd year under HC Campbell until their 12-win season last year and a push into the playoffs.

I agree on MHJ---one way or the other he should be able to rise above whoever we have at QB. Fitz did it for years with a long list of QB duds. Imagine what Fitz's numbers would be if he played with KW or Palmer for his entire career.

Like all draft picks, the real success is measured after the guys have been in the league for a few years and performing. Will a top-five QB emerge out of Penix/Nix/JJ? Then the decision made at #4 becomes more open to debate. If they all bomb, Monti will look like a genius for passing on a QB.
I'm with You brother- I'm not expecting a Superbowl, somewhere around a .500 record win-loss wise would show overall team growth. Will be his overall play tho- if I had to choose one stat to judge him off of- I'd say his TD-INT ratio (how many yolo throws is he making, what do his legs look like, his decision making, is he able to bring the deep ball back to part of his game, how does the team rally around him are all other things I will be looking at).

I was very careful to say gamble QB prospects. Penix/nix/McCarthy all have some tools in the belt that could make them superb QB players and who knows- maybe they will be. I think that's 50/50 at best though- when you are picking at #4, you need a sure fire talent, not put your money on a 50% red or black scenario.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a big year for Kyler to prove he can take this team to playoff contention. KM will have a full off season, training camp under his belt. If we are lucky enough to have our starters remain relatively healthy all year and we still can’t crack 6+ wins with KM not showing a significant jump in play, then I am all for finding the next QB for this team.